UBS says iPhone sales ahead of estimates, new iPods on the way

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

i can't find the "1 million" estimate (which I believe was a whisper # being bandied about prelaunch) but some of the analysts were calling for 700,000 to 500,000 units sold in the first weekend.

i absolutely agree that there was a ton of pre-launch hype but still... these iphone numbers are not living up to the analysts (admitedly) overhyped expections.

"Earlier this month, in the wake of the iPhone?s opening weekend with press reports of huge lines at Apple and AT&T stores, analysts upped their opening weekend sales forecasts. Goldman Sachs analyst David Bailey originally predicted 350,000 in sales, but, after the device?s launch, raised his prediction to 700,000. Piper Jaffray?s Gene Munster likewise raised his initial estimate of 200,000 iPhones sold to 500,000."

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07...?lsrc=mwtoprss

700,000 was, indeed the highest number that I had read about -- not 800,000 to 1 million. Hence my question.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"New iPods are on the way." You got to be kidding me?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you actually doubt new ipods are coming soon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I agree with your points. But there are a couple of snags that will plague the iPhone.....

1. Until the break away from AT&T or at least 2.5G they will be dogged by the lack of performance when out of WIFI range. Which is often when on moving around. It's pitiful.

The performance issue is a valid point, but people don't seem to be complaining much about it. There have been satisfaction studies done with iPhone users, and internet performance has been a tiny concern if mentioned at all. Sure, it will put a ceiling on the product, but I don't think it's a particularly low one. There are many people out there who either are fine with the slower performance or within WIFI range often enough. By the time that demographic dries up, they will have upgraded.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

2. People need to be able to put 3rd party programs on the phone without hacking it.

Again, this seems to be a niche concern and not a mainstream one. The lack of 3rd party options will exclude some users but I think that number is way in the minority. And I think both of these factors have been taken into account. Both buyers and people looking at the market are well aware of them, it's not like either is a secret or a surprise.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you actually doubt new ipods are coming soon.

Here's a clue
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

For me it's not the GB... it's the functionality. I've been on a 10 GB 3G iPod for like 4 years now. I don't plan to get a new one until there is a significant functionality upgrade. I don't mind if I can only fit in like 10 - 20 episodes of a series. If the next model sports the same OSX and touch screen as iPhone, then a 16 GB would be fine for me, allthough I'd prefer 32 GB. If it in fact IS an iPhone without the phone, that would be crazy. I sadly expect it to be without wifi (and camera) though. A wifi enabled iPod would possibly kill some of the iPhone sales I think.. I for one would buy the iPod, not the iPhone if this was the case.

Well, I need capacity as well as funcionality. I'm presently using a full 2G 20GB iPod. I have more music on my computer HD plus I have a bunch of vinyl I want to convert. I also want the widescreen touchscreem interface, the heck with the rest of the iPhone bells and whistles.

This is probably a dumb question about flash memory, but given the lack of affordable large capacity flash memory, would it be possible to build an iPod with three or four flash memory slots in order to build memory with multiple smaller cards?
  • Reply 45 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

This is probably a dumb question about flash memory, but given the lack of affordable large capacity flash memory, would it be possible to build an iPod with three or four flash memory slots in order to build memory with multiple smaller cards?

No way is that going to happen.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No way is that going to happen.

Mel, I did say it was a dumb question, but could you expand your statement and perhaps from your perception explain how a 16GB flash based video iPod makes sense.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviet02

I agree with your points. But there are a couple of snags that will plague the iPhone.....

1. Until the break away from AT&T or at least 2.5G they will be dogged by the lack of performance when out of WIFI range. Which is often when on moving around. It's pitiful.

The performance issue is a valid point, but people don't seem to be complaining much about it. There have been satisfaction studies done with iPhone users, and internet performance has been a tiny concern if mentioned at all. Sure, it will put a ceiling on the product, but I don't think it's a particularly low one. There are many people out there who either are fine with the slower performance or within WIFI range often enough. By the time that demographic dries up, they will have upgraded.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviet02

2. People need to be able to put 3rd party programs on the phone without hacking it.

Again, this seems to be a niche concern and not a mainstream one. The lack of 3rd party options will exclude some users but I think that number is way in the minority. And I think both of these factors have been taken into account. Both buyers and people looking at the market are well aware of them, it's not like either is a secret or a surprise.

Very well said. EDGE has been very much OK for what I need when not in WiFi. Would I like faster? Of course but not at the cost of battery.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:

Mel, I did say it was a dumb question, but could you expand your statement and perhaps from your perception explain how a 16GB flash based video iPod makes sense.

It wasn't a dumb question. It was a perfectly good question.

As we've seen from Apple's evolving line of iPods, they have never put memory slots into those devices, or into the iPhone.

Apple wants to keep them closed. It's the same reason why the battery can't be easily replaced.

But, while I'm not confident that 16 GB of Flash will make it into the Nano just yet (though it might), because of cost, size, and power considerations, it will make it into Nano's at some point.

New Flash is coming out that uses less power, is smaller, and costs less. Just as every generation of memory has gone that route, Apple's iPods will as well.

As they've gone from 2 and 4 Gb to 4 and 8 Gb, they will go to 8 and 16 (possibly stopping at 6 and 12 on the way).

It's a natural progression.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    Mel, as someone who has swapped out the battery in a 2G iPod, I agree that the iPod has always been a closed system and I doubt there's any likelihood that it will change.

Your flash memory remarks were about the Nano, where flash memory does make sense. But I'm interested in a Video iPod with a touch widescreen, and I just can't see flash memory there yet. It would be a huge step backwards in capacity. What's your comments there.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Quote:

Mel, as someone who has swapped out the battery in a 2G iPod, I agree that the iPod has always been a closed system and I doubt there's any likelihood that it will change.

Your flash memory remarks were about the Nano, where flash memory does make sense. But I'm interested in a Video iPod with a touch widescreen, and I just can't see flash memory there yet. It would be a huge step backwards in capacity. What's your comments there.

If you want 30 GB, and the device offers 16, then yes, that could be a detriment.

I don't want to be seen as telling people to change their lifestyle, but many people get models with much more storage than they actually use?just in case.

I don't know if you are one of them, but if you are, it might be worthwhile to consider the advantages of Flash, even at a reduced level.

If you aren't, then, at this time, Flash isn't for you.

But, I can't believe that Apple would discontinue players with higher levels of HDD's when introing Flash.

So, it's possible to see a 16 GB Flash model, while still seeing a 30 or 40 GB model, as well as an 80 or 100 GB model.

The Flash model might very cost as much as the higher HDD models though.

That would make sense, no?
  • Reply 51 of 51
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Too cool for words.