Apple inks exclusive iPhone deals in UK, France & Germany - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

If you want to know anything about mobile phones in the western word then listen to the Europeans, it was the Europeans who led the way with commercial mobile phone usage. The major players in handset and network design were Nokia, Ericsson and Siemens. We were all using mobile phones years before it took off in the US, we were also the first ones to go sms crazy (poor networks in the US held you lot up) and led the way in MMS and 3G.

Pretty much revisionist history since the US actually invented cellular phones and was first deployed in Chicago and New York exclusively to businesses in 1984 if I recall. You are correct at least on the point of the 'sms crazy'.

m
  • Reply 62 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I know, but what happened to putting the user first which allegedly is an Apple credo. Picking a carrier with no EDGE support, expensive data plans and a poor web portal isn't doing that. It's like the Motorola RCKR phone all over again.

To be realistic about business, you have to understand that no business puts the customer first. That will never happen. It can't happen.

A business puts its interests first, always. That's how it should be.

But, in doing so, some businesses are better than others at identifying just what it is that will benefit themselves more than other businesses are.

What that means is that they can see just what it is that their potential customers want, that they can supply, that will make their sales go up more, with enhanced profits.

So, when Michael Dell started selling computers out of his dorm room, he identified a need that he could serve while making a good profit and increasing sales. We can see what happened. But, once his company lost its focus in a changing world, it began to have problems.

Apple's founders also found a way to make money with products and services. But, they did so in a way that benefitted themselves, as did Dell.

Just the way many successful companies do, Apple has possibly fallen into the trap of thinking that they can do something that is good for them, but not always good for their customers.

It may turn out that Apple has ideas here that will turn the jeers into cheers, but we will have to wait and see.

The unique thing about the iPhone, so far, that others don't have, is the far-ranging ability of software updates, and upgrades, to change the way the phone works.

So far as I know, while other phones can be updated, none of them have the ability of being changed in their feature set as much as the iPhone does. By that, I don't mean adding programs, but being fundamentally changed at the OS level, with the basic way the phone functions.

We'll just have to wait to see how Apple takes advantage of that.

But, as far as making deals with carriers who are not at the leading edge, well, Apple is taking advantage of that to give itself more income, and control over its products. Offhand, I can't say that's bad. It's just not the best thing for us, unless there are agreements in place that we don't know about to upgrade these networks to add features over time, as ATT did with mail, and the upgrading of EDGE right before the phone came out. They also might be upgrading their 3G services faster than they might have otherwise done, we don't know yet.

A company makes decisions based on benefit to itself, but with an eyet on its potential customer base, as well as its current one. If it feels it will negatively impact its sales and ability to grow, it won't make them, if not, then it will.

Just like consumers wanting what's best for them, and not the company they are doing business with, the business is looking for what is best for them, and not for the customer.

A happy synergy occurs when those interests coincide. If they don't...
  • Reply 63 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgabrys View Post

Try sending the picture through email. Works fine.

..Yes, 'causeeveryone has email on their phone as well.

Wait until they realize they can't cut& paste or more importantly even send the same text to multile recipients. That'll go over really well, just typing the same message over and over again to different people. I've done it lots of times and I just love it, I tell you!
  • Reply 64 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

..Yes, 'causeeveryone has email on their phone as well.

Wait until they realize they can't cut& paste or more importantly even send the same text to multile recipients. That'll go over really well, just typing the same message over and over again to different people. I've done it lots of times and I just love it, I tell you!

These features can arrive. There is nothing to prevent them from being implemented.

Since when does a version 1 product have all of the features?

Apple has promised to add features with updates and upgrades.

While they have come out with two updates so far, they are mostly for bug fixes and minor feature enhancements. But, the feature enhancements prove that improvements will come.

It's too soon for serious feature enhancements, it's been less than two months since the phone came out.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

These features can arrive. There is nothing to prevent them from being implemented.

Since when does a version 1 product have all of the features?

Apple has promised to add features with updates and upgrades.

While they have come out with two updates so far, they are mostly for bug fixes and minor feature enhancements. But, the feature enhancements prove that improvements will come.

It's too soon for serious feature enhancements, it's been less than two months since the phone came out.

Since when has ANY phone not had the ability to text multiple recipients at launch? Kinda basic don't you think? Not too sure I'd even lable that puppy a basic feature enhancement.

And before someone says, but you can SMS from your IM, well Apple didn't provide that either... Odd in any version of any smartphone, dontcha think?
  • Reply 66 of 105
    Quote:

Since when has ANY phone not had the ability to text multiple recipients at launch? Kinda basic don't you think? Not too sure I'd even lable that puppy a basic feature enhancement.

And before someone says, but you can SMS from your IM, well Apple didn't provide that either... Odd in any version of any smartphone, dontcha think?

It doesn't matter. You might as well as ask the question of why all other smartphones don't have the capabilities the iPhone does, or, at least, why they can't all have their OS upgraded the way the iPhone can.

What comes next is what matters.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    Quote:

It doesn't matter. You might as well as ask the question of why all other smartphones don't have the capabilities the iPhone does, or, at least, why they can't all have their OS upgraded the way the iPhone can.

What comes next is what matters.

No, but you see it does matter and will to many future buyers of the product who will now know better becuase of idiots like me who didn't.

SMS is the most basic communication solution available; its works everywhere and it's widely used. I dont know of a single phone that doesnt support it. Apple's SMS app is cute, but crap.

IM is widely used on phones; Apple doesn't support one

MMS widely used, particularly in Europe; Apple doesnt support it.

I'd argue that people want a) a phone first and foremost..(and something that rings loud enough to hear when on a street would be nice).. but something that will support text to multiple recipients.. To be called "smart", you need to have the basics covered too. Lovely browser though, gorgeous (although it crashes too often, but still fabulous)!. Nice iPod too.

It's kind of like buying a really flash car that drives on water, only to learn that it can't really reverse in the rain.

Waiting to buy one in Europe?... Well my advice, kiddies is.. wait and wait some more.. until Apple address all your basic requirements.
  • Reply 68 of 105
    Quote:

No, but you see it does matter and will to many future buyers of the product who will now know better becuase of idiots like me who didn't.

SMS is the most basic communication solution available; its works everywhere and it's widely used. I dont know of a single phone that doesnt support it. Apple's SMS app is cute, but crap.

I'd argue that people want a) a phone first and foremost..(and something that rings loud enough to hear when on a street would be nice).. but something that will support text to multiple recipients.. To be called "smart", you need to have the basics covered too. Lovely browser though, gorgeous (although it crashes too often, but still fabulous)!. Nice iPod too.

It's kind of like buying a really flash car that drives on water, only to learn that it can't really reverse in the rain.

Waiting to buy one in Europe?... Well my advice, kiddies is.. wait and wait some more.. until Apple address all your basic requirements.

What we have to see is how well the iPhone continues to do here, where there only one carrier, and how well it does elsewhere.

Considering that the main reason why more people aren't buying it now is the price, and considering just how many people have, and are buying it despite of the price, we can perhaps see if your concerns are really going to hold back sales, and if so, by how much.

If the phones sell well, esp. for the money involved, then we can say that your concerns are unfounded. If sales are poor, then we can say that price, and perhaps lack of 3G are the main reasons. Possibly a survey can show us if people who would like to buy an iPhone, but didn't, because of your concerns, or because of the others.

Otherwise, it's only guesses.

And, if in a few months, Apple comes out with a big update, and includes much of what you are asking for, your problem is solved.

We'll see.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    Quote:

What we have to see is how well the iPhone continues to do here, where there only one carrier, and how well it does elsewhere.

Considering that the main reason why more people aren't buying it now is the price, and considering just how many people have, and are buying it despite of the price, we can perhaps see if your concerns are really going to hold back sales, and if so, by how much.

If the phones sell well, esp. for the money involved, then we can say that your concerns are unfounded. If sales are poor, then we can say that price, and perhaps lack of 3G are the main reasons. Possibly a survey can show us if people who would like to buy an iPhone, but didn't, because of your concerns, or because of the others.

Otherwise, it's only guesses.

And, if in a few months, Apple comes out with a big update, and includes much of what you are asking for, your problem is solved.

We'll see.

Until then, I'll point out to all & sundry the downside of owning the very pretty iPhone.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Pretty much revisionist history since the US actually invented cellular phones and was first deployed in Chicago and New York exclusively to businesses in 1984 if I recall. You are correct at least on the point of the 'sms crazy'.

m

Read my message, i never mentioned anything about inventing the mobile phone, AT&T may have demonstrated the first working example but my post was stating who led the world in commercial mobile phone usage!! The first commerical automatic mobile phone network was in Europe, the major players in the industry are still in Europe (although the Japanese of course are taking over) and far more normal people (not just business peoples) had phones earlier in Europe that the US.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    Quote:

Until then, I'll point out to all & sundry the downside of owning the very pretty iPhone.

Pretty minor downside.
  • Reply 72 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Read my message, i never mentioned anything about inventing the mobile phone, AT&T may have demonstrated the first working example but my post was stating who led the world in commercial mobile phone usage!! The first commerical automatic mobile phone network was in Europe, the major players in the industry are still in Europe (although the Japanese of course are taking over) and far more normal people (not just business peoples) had phones earlier in Europe that the US.

Clearly, I stand corrected as the US still doesn't have an 'automatic mobile phone network' whatever that is.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    Apple have released a product in a new market for them, in a complete change from the way that they usually do business they are years behind the curve in this market where they are usually used to being at the leading edge. In their usuall position Apple can dictate what features customers want, when they released the iPod for instance they made the rules that everyone else had to follow.

But the mobile phone industry is an old one, 27 year olds in England now who have grown up with a mobile phone since leaving school and the customer already knows what it wants and what features it expects from a new phone. Apple cannot dictate to this market as though they own it, they are a tiny player in this market and i think they have made a huge mistake.

People may not agree, melgross may not agree but Apple have produced a mobile phone that does not have the basic features that people expect in a mobie phone.

* The inability to SMS to multiple contacts

* No 3G

* No MMS

* No IM

* No swappable battery

These are basics, they are not even features they are expected to be on a phone. How many people are going to buy an iPhone in the UK not realising they cannot send MMS with it? When you buy a car do you bother to check that it has a fuel tank inside? no becuase it never crossed your mind that it would not, its not a feature it just should be there.

Apple really should have released a phone that does what peple expect from a phone, it is far too early for them to challange public conceptions of what a phone should be, they need to get in the game and get some market share before they can even think about doing that.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    Quote:

Apple have released a product in a new market for them, in a complete change from the way that they usually do business they are years behind the curve in this market where they are usually used to being at the leading edge. In their usuall position Apple can dictate what features customers want, when they released the iPod for instance they made the rules that everyone else had to follow.

But the mobile phone industry is an old one, 27 year olds in England now who have grown up with a mobile phone since leaving school and the customer already knows what it wants and what features it expects from a new phone. Apple cannot dictate to this market as though they own it, they are a tiny player in this market and i think they have made a huge mistake.

People may not agree, melgross may not agree but Apple have produced a mobile phone that does not have the basic features that people expect in a mobie phone.

* The inability to SMS to multiple contacts

* No 3G

* No MMS

* No IM

* No swappable battery

These are basics, they are not even features they are expected to be on a phone. How many people are going to buy an iPhone in the UK not realising they cannot send MMS with it? When you buy a car do you bother to check that it has a fuel tank inside? no becuase it never crossed your mind that it would not, its not a feature it just should be there.

Apple really should have released a phone that does what peple expect from a phone, it is far too early for them to challange public conceptions of what a phone should be, they need to get in the game and get some market share before they can even think about doing that.

I also have wanted 3G, though the rest seem to less important, except for the battery of course, because they can be added to the phone at a later date, that's all I've said. I know they're important to some people.

If Apple sees its sales being retarded because of those features, they will likely add them. With many other phones, features, even if they are in software, can't be added. That's why I'm not so concerned right now. If they are still not there mid 2008, and sales can be shown to be impacted because of it, then I WILL be concerned.
  • Reply 75 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Clearly, I stand corrected as the US still doesn't have an 'automatic mobile phone network' whatever that is.

Sure they do but they just were not the first, all i meant by automatic was a full automatic switched network, i only made the distinction because Japan did have the first mobile network but it was not automatic as we know today.

Most of the firsts in mobile phone history were in Europe, and i was only pointing this out because there sometimes is an attitude from our American cousins that the US does everything first and everything better. An American computer company is going over to Europe (the land of Nokia) and trying to tell people that they do not know what they want from their mobile phones that they do not need MMS because email is better, it gonna be a hard sell.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

So far of the several people I know with iPhones none have complained about multiple-texting. No one I know who is interested in buying one has based their desicion on the texting app.

Quote:

IM client on the phone would be nicer. But there are a couple of web based IM clients that work really well.

Quote:

But it does support email which is even more widely used and even more useful.

Quote:

You have to keep some perspective. Most people don't care about sending multiple text messages and could live with that being iPhone's worst failing.
  • Reply 77 of 105
    Quote:

I also have wanted 3G, though the rest seem to less important, except for the battery of course, because they can be added to the phone at a later date, that's all I've said. I know they're important to some people.

If Apple sees its sales being retarded because of those features, they will likely add them. With many other phones, features, even if they are in software, can't be added. That's why I'm not so concerned right now. If they are still not there mid 2008, and sales can be shown to be impacted because of it, then I WILL be concerned.

Maybe you are right, but i have got no idea why they have not gone to market with these features, it makes no sense whatsoever and makes me wonder (not for the first time) whether Apple really do know what they are doing or whether they just bumble along and get lucky now and again?

Steve Jobs made a comment about the new wireless keyboard and said something along the lines of "our customers did not want a full sized wireless keyboard" and also mentioned that if you do want a full size wireless keyboard you can buy one from another manufacturer. I was never asked what size wireless keyboard i wanted, the fact i bought 2 of the last wireless keyboards should tell you i like them full sized and i am sure i was no the only one who bought them.

The point is that Steve Jobs claims his customers never wanted one but the forums are full of Apple customers who did want one, you have really got to ask where Apples market intelligence comes from?? do they do any?
  • Reply 78 of 105
    Quote:

* No swappable battery

I saw a guy drop his Black Berry. The battery door popped off and his battery came out. Seems like that could have easily broken the door but lucky for him it didn't.

But anyway an ignored advantage, Apple was able to use a much larger battery that lasts longer because they did not have to build a battery compartment.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

So far of the several people I know with iPhones none have complained about multiple-texting. No one I know who is interested in buying one has based their desicion on the texting app.

IM client on the phone would be nicer. But there are a couple of web based IM clients that work really well.

But it does support email which is even more widely used and even more useful.

You have to keep some perspective. Most people don't care about sending multiple text messages and could live with that being iPhone's worst failing.

Just because you do not have more than one friend does mean everyone else does not, we are talking about European mobile phone use, SMS and MMS greatly outnumber voice calls and people do actually buy their phones based on the messging capability. As for MMS/email give me a break, email is not usefull for sending photographs to other peoples phones.
  • Reply 80 of 105
    Quote:

Just because you do not have more than one friend does mean everyone else does not

What??? Does this mean I have more than one friend or that eveyone else only has one friend?

Quote:

SMS and MMS greatly outnumber voice calls

People would rather type a whole conversation on a tiny keyboard than just call and talk. That just seems stupid.

Quote:

email is not usefull for sending photographs to other peoples phones

Only because the mobile providers locked out email clients in favor of SMS.

Quote:

i have got no idea why they have not gone to market with these features, it makes no sense whatsoever and makes me wonder (not for the first time) whether Apple really do know what they are doing or whether they just bumble along and get lucky now and again?

This was all said about the iPod and how Apple had messed up for this or that reason. Not to say that Apple is 100% perfect. They do slip.

I think its clear they have a plan we just don't know what it is. Just because things are done a certain way does not mean that is the best way or the only way. Apple has made a habit of finding a different way and executing better than anyone else.