Apple to usher in era of Mac OS X-based iPods

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Well, I'm hopeful that Apple will flip the lid on the watch industry. We already have armbands for our iPods and the iPods can display time. Why not a watch that can play music, display photos, and play video but with bluetooth headsets?

A watch? Nobody is going to buy a dick tracy watch? it's stuck to your wrist.

Apple will never - and I usually avoid the word never - but they will never make a watch.

Please say you were joking.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Internally, Apple is much further along, according to sources, who say the company will again tap an embedded version of the Mac OS to form the foundation of yet another business segment and digital device family in 2008.

What is that supposed to mean? iBlenders? MacToothBrush Pro? Whats left to conquer? They got TV, computers, cell phones, music players. Beyond those items I am trying to figure out what devices are complicated enough to need an actual OS. Any ideas?

Quote:

Those people familiar with Apple's digital media player plans say an official unveiling of this year's offerings is on tap for mid-to-late September

So we will hopefully know something by late Sept, and I imagin shippin would have to start by late October to not miss the crucial holiday buying season.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    has the move to OS X got something to do with the Ipod Home or what ever it was called patent grained a few months ago ????

and thats a good call about the licensing on the current user interface wasn't it creative that they have to pay ????

oh and finally does this not indicate that there my be a touch screen Ipod coming as there ganna need OS X to run that..........

theres only so much you can do as a company changing the colours and capacity before consumers don't buy the products because its nearly the same as the last £$200/400 kit you brought.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    I think the new product line mentioned will be in car integration. This has already been touched on in the past. I think by this time next year we will be hearing about an Apple branded and OS X based in car system similar to Audi's MMI and the BMW I-Drive including navigation, audio, video and telephony.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

the OS that apple currently has on the ipods has a ton of capabilities that apple doesn't use... just look at linux for ipod...

Whaaa?

Linux for iPod is a 3rd-party replacement of the OS that Apple currently has on the iPods, not an application running on top of it. You cannot make any judgements about the capabilities of the current iPod OS based on what you see the iPod doing while is Linux running on it. That'd be equivalent to making judgements about the capabilities of Windows Vista based on what you see while Ubuntu is running on a PC.

Now, it is perfectly legitimate to say that the current iPod hardware is capable of doing more than Apple's current iPod user interface belies. (In fact, to varying extents, I think this has been true of every generation of iPod to date with the possible exception of the Shuffles. I don't know if enough is known about the Shuffle's internals to make such a call.)
  • Reply 26 of 104
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    I think it would suck if it wasn't touch screen and had a solid glass screen. In the end, the click wheel is touch-based but it uses up so much space for what it does. I was using someone's video ipod recently and I just wished I could scroll up and down, I don't find the circular motion that intuitive at all and it wasn't very accurate.

OS X would be absolutely awesome to have on an ipod - I'm sure that there will be way more people hacking that than the iphone as it will be much more affordable.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    Unfortunately, this news doesn't excite me. I have a HUGE music collection that I want with me at ALL times (please - for the 13-18 year old crowd on this forum: don't tell me that I can't possibly ever listen to all that music. It's not for you to decide how I use MY iPod. I'm a business traveler & don't have time to decide what 8GBs of music I'm going to take with me from trip to trip. Nor do I want to.) Therefore, the thought of Apple going to NAND flash for all their iPods only means 1 thing: smaller capacity iPods. That's not an option for me. Nor is it negotiable. If they go this route, they will lose a segment of their customer base that IS willing to pay premium prices for a high capacity player.

I also have the iPhone. Steve Jobs once said that it's the "best iPod" they've ever designed. I have to disagree. While I like what they've done with the iPod interface on the iPhone, for some reason they decided to eliminate the "Shuffle-->Albums" feature that is on the 5G iPod. I specifically switched to the iPod for that very feature. I listen to mostly full albums, in a random order. On the iPhone there is no way to do this. Why eliminate a feature? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    Wait... I don't get it. Everyone's mentioning new product line. Apple has stated they're new business model will stand on "four legs". Mac, iPod, iPhone, AppleTV. I count four, how many do you count? \

Granted AppleTV won't catch on fully until it's able to stream/save 1080p from Mac and iTunes.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Apple will never - and I usually avoid the word never - but they will never make a watch.

Please say you were joking.

I owned one of these.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

i think this is why apple wants to keep a closed system on the iPhone (like the iPod) -- everyone has to play by their rules and they get to squeeze more profit from software sales etc...

Again you are simply projecting your own cynicism.
  • Reply 31 of 104
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    What are the advantages of adding OSX to the iPod? I don't understand what additional functionality could or should be gained by this maneuver.

I fear the iPod could suffer from feature bloat much like windows devices. What am I missing?
  • Reply 32 of 104
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    September 11th September 11th September 11th

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 33 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Internally, Apple is much further along, according to sources, who say the company will again tap an embedded version of the Mac OS to form the foundation of yet another business segment and digital device family in 2008.

I could see them making an AppleTV that's actually built into a TV. I could see Apple coming up with some slick thin LCD TVs with AppleTV built in, with iPhone/OSX style iTunes, maybe a camera and iPhoto & Photo Booth so you can get photos from families and friends into your digital album thats built into your TV and chat live with iChat - i guess they'd add some media slots like some TVs already have for adding photos from your cameras, thou they'd have bluetooth and wi-fi also. They could probably add the ability to tape TV shows into your iTunes to replace the PVR recorders that replaced VCRs, they could be synched with your new iPods/iPhones so you can watch the show you missed last night on the train to work. It's all stuff they can do already more or less and the TV industry is a solid market that they haven't really taken a bite at yet besides offering a wi-fi hard drive with iTunes on it and calling it AppleTV - which is just another plug you need space for on your wall and more cables to deal with.

I've personally got a mac mini plugged into my LCD TV which does more than the current AppleTV can do so it seems pointless to continue with the Mini range as a small PC and not integrate AppleTV into a LCD screen to actually make it an Apple TV. I don't think this would cut into laptop sales at all but probably add another level of synching and sharing between products that could be usefull.

I'd buy one anyway.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    shaminoshamino Posts: 536member
    If Apple wants to swap the OS, I don't really care. It's not like I run anything other than the default iPod software anyway.

The "full-screen" iPhone-like concept, however, bothers me. I like the click-wheel. I think the click-wheel is one of the key features that makes iPods better than third-party players. If they get rid of it and replace it with a virtual interface, that has no tactile feedback, it will make the device far less usable. I can operate my iPod nano with one hand, and without looking at it. You can't do that with an iPhone, and you won't be able to to do it with any other device that has a virtual-UI.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Adding OS X to the iPod, for one thing, will make it much more stable. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had an iPod freeze on them, especially when they intend to put it to sleep. Let's also keep in mind that sometimes after syncing an iPod with iTunes, the iPod actually loses all album art, or displays incorrect info. OS X is very matured and secure, and having, say, the iMac and iPod use the same OS is certainly the way forward.

What makes you think these bugs are due to the iPod's operating system? Why can't it be a problem with the application software?

What makes you think a version 1.0 release of OS X-for-iPod will be more stable than the current iPod system software? Remember, we're talking about a completely different processor and system architecture.

What makes you think a version 1.0 release of the iPod software-for-OS X will be more stable than what's running now?
  • Reply 35 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

What is that supposed to mean? iBlenders? MacToothBrush Pro? Whats left to conquer? They got TV, computers, cell phones, music players. Beyond those items I am trying to figure out what devices are complicated enough to need an actual OS. Any ideas?

How about a digital video camera a la RED? Or a true integrated home entertainment system with 7.1 surround , Bluray, satelite radio/tv, BIG lcd screens, cable modem, wifi... and 1000 watts per channel

Looks like they are going the way of Sony to me!
  • Reply 36 of 104
    sugesuge Posts: 4member
    Maybe they'll release a mini notebook with touchscreen
  • Reply 37 of 104
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what size is the typical video for an ipod?? do people really need 80gb drives?? is that a must have for the video ipod to be a success??

what about using a hybrid hd for the video ipod to improve battery life. perhaps 8-16 nand plus 60 gb platters many more posts about improving battery life than for increasing hd space.
  • Reply 38 of 104
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Well, I'm hopeful that Apple will flip the lid on the watch industry. We already have armbands for our iPods and the iPods can display time. Why not a watch that can play music, display photos, and play video but with bluetooth headsets?

Try looking at your watch for 5 minutes straight.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dh87 View Post

Like what, without becoming an iPhone? Personally, I want my iPod to play music, and that's it. Other people may want a few videos and photos, a calendar, and contacts, all of which exist, but I think that the next level up from this is an iPhone. With OS X, the interface could be similar to the iPhone's.

I am wondering much the same thing. I have a Nano that I use extensively around the house and when I run (with the Nike+ kit). I absolutely love it.

I don't think the designs posted offer a new Nano as I understand it. It looks large and clunky...and I have to say: ugly. If I wanted a full-sized video playing iPod I would buy one. The current Nano does what I want it to and doesn't charge me for a lot of stuff I don't want.

Of course, I can just not buy the new one when it comes out, but eventually my battery will die and that will require a new iPod. So, if these videos/photos are actually the new Nano, maybe I should buy one or two of the current Nanos (and shelve them until needed) as insurance.

Oh boy, can't wait to try to justify this one to the wife.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

do people really need 80gb drives??