Apple to usher in era of Mac OS X-based iPods

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 104
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

All I'm going to say at this point is "don't go demanding it if you haven't tried it first". I don't think you have a clue how annoying your proposed interface would actually be.

After five minutes of trying out such a device in the store, I'd immediately decide to go buy something else.

Just like all the iphone users you mean?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

How does that figure? Do you think it is going to run a complete, unmodified version of iTunes? Do you seriously think that iTunes interface could possibly be useful on a handheld device?

A hypothetical OS X-based iPod will still be running a special iPod-only application for playing and manipulating your music. The feature list will be a function of that application, not of the OS it runs on.

The feature of the OS would be maintaining a library as the itunes under OS X does. It doesn't have to run the same itunes interface.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Well the mock up isn't any wider. just shorter.

But the screen will be tiny if it's the same width as an iphone. The current ipod video is wider. If it was just a shorter ipod video then all that's happening is making the wheel smaller and making a difficult decision about what to do with the internals. I'd hate to see the nano go this shape because as other people have said, it's not very attractive. A tall screen but thin is much better.
  • Reply 102 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

But the screen will be tiny if it's the same width as an iphone. The current ipod video is wider. If it was just a shorter ipod video then all that's happening is making the wheel smaller and making a difficult decision about what to do with the internals. I'd hate to see the nano go this shape because as other people have said, it's not very attractive. A tall screen but thin is much better.

Yup. I agree.

To me, the current iPhone screen is the minimum acceptable size for a handheld device. I say that as someone who has used a video iPod quite extensively for video. I used to think it was cool, but after the iPhone, no way....
  • Reply 103 of 104
  • Reply 104 of 104
    Quote:

PLEASE BRING BACK FIREWIRE!

Not gonna happen. FireWire hiccuped and stalled so badly it's relegated to a "Still gotta have it but that's not the future." status. For drives, eSATA is the route forward: for peripherals USB 2, USB 3 while technically inferior (or theoretically inferior) is the only game in town. FireWire was supposed at this point to have a wireless 400Mb incarnation and a 3200Mb wired version. Ain't gonna happen.

Apple have close to zero employees working on FireWire: it's sad to say that it'll go away, but we said that the floppy, the serial port... (the widespread use of FireWire 400 on VC's will keep it around for a few years, as it's just a chip and space for a connector). The iPod is leading the trend on this.

Now, tell me why you need FireWire on your iPod?