iPod supply dwindles as likely Apple event nears

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    My hope is that one of those new iPods is an updated Shuffle. I like the size of the shuffle but would like a screen for album art, photos, and some video. Oh and a 4Gb Shuffle would be nice too. Make that $79 and I'll buy one ASAP.

An ex-coworker had a Shuffle sized media player with a screen that could playback video and display photos. I didn't catch the brand but I thought that it was something Apple should do with the 3G Shuffle.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

Short reply to the "it's fake" crowd:

Apple's lawyers usually only ask multiple sites to pull down the shots if they're legit. It's not always true that they'll ask if it's real (see the iMac keyboard), but if a C&D notice is sent, you know it's real.

When have Apple sent cease and desist letters about real products? I know they have removed pictures of burnt notebooks et al, but I cannot remember when we've even seen any real pictures. Could just be my memory.

/Adrian
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

Short reply to the "it's fake" crowd:

Apple's lawyers usually only ask multiple sites to pull down the shots if they're legit. It's not always true that they'll ask if it's real (see the iMac keyboard), but if a C&D notice is sent, you know it's real.

Oh don?t be so naïve. Apple?s covering their arse. It doesn?t matter if the picture?s fake or not, they don?t want the veil of secrecy to be lifted. Therefore, whenever a purpotedly ?real? image shows up on the Internet, they take it down.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    alek_2alek_2 Posts: 21member
    NEW IPODS!!! Oh boy - I haven't been so excited in a long time;

Well - at least since the ipod nano launch ~ 2 years ago; Still feel a litlle bit

stupid 'though paying $300 + tax ($45 CAN) for Black 4GB; For that kind of money

you'll be able to get iPhone around Csmas time...

Improvements I'd like to see in nano - just longer battery life and smaller overall size;

Screen could be even smaller if you ask me... Just my 2c of worth
  • Reply 25 of 62
    oh man...even if the final product is short and fat, it'll be ugly. lets hope something nice comes out on the 5th.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I reworked the 6G iPod, right.

This isn't a replacement for the nano, just for the iPod. On the left is my idea for a true video iPod.

That's the first chubby iPod I've seen that isn't ugly. Well done. It actually finally makes my (1stG) black nano look old.

I don't think the Touch iPod will have that many software features though; They might as well toss in the telephone radio at that point. If they differentiate it from the iPhone just by putting a HDD in it, I think it would cannibalize.

I think there will be a sweet OSX interface and improved video out.

I would love wifi video streaming (if slingbox can do it...)

Edit: Maybe the next great iphone hack project will be porting all the software apps (Mail, widgets, maps) to the new touch iPod. I doubt Apple would include this functionality in the ipod - even if it could (See other minimalist design decisions of IPods from G1 up)
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Apple is running a promotion for college and university until Sept 16.

Quote:

Buy a qualifying Mac and iPod from Apple or a participating Apple Authorized Campus Store from June 5, 2007, through September 16, 2007, and receive a mail-in rebate up to $199, except where otherwise required by state law. Terms and conditions apply. Not all Apple products subject to education discount.

I believe they are now getting rid of old iPods. I suspect they will introduce new iPods after the Sept 16 deadline. This is similar to introducing new Apple products at MacWorld after the Christmas shopping season. I suspect they will introduce new iPods after the end of the promotion.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple will do what it wants, and that iPod promo be damned. They did it before. I think last year, as a matter of fact.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by salvation666 View Post

Apple is running a promotion for college and university until Sept 16.

I believe they are now getting rid of old iPods. I suspect they will introduce new iPods after the Sept 16 deadline. This is similar to introducing new Apple products at MacWorld after the Christmas shopping season. I suspect they will introduce new iPods after the end of the promotion.

Not necessarily, they could release new iPod during the promotion just make it so you can't get the $200 off, I think they did this before, but none the less they could do that. Plus that is a great way to clear the old iPods while still have a full selection of iPods on the shelf (the new ones).
  • Reply 30 of 62
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

When have Apple sent cease and desist letters about real products? I know they have removed pictures of burnt notebooks et al, but I cannot remember when we've even seen any real pictures. Could just be my memory.

/Adrian

They removed your memory????????
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

Not necessarily, they could release new iPod during the promotion just make it so you can't get the $200 off, I think they did this before, but none the less they could do that. Plus that is a great way to clear the old iPods while still have a full selection of iPods on the shelf (the new ones).

Indeed, Apple has often sold older machines at higher prices that the new replacements.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Apple will do what it wants, and that iPod promo be damned. They did it before. I think last year, as a matter of fact.

I remember last year's 5.5g release being after the school promo (I could be wrong). The 5.5g iPods were released on the 21st of September, I think. I would be surprised if Apple released them now and not at the Paris event.

I mean, you can draw the same conclusions about the MacBook Pros. Stock is dwindling on the 15" models and there's a new 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo mobile processor. It's in the iMacs already, why not the MacBook Pros? I'm not saying I think they'll add the option next week, but it's easy to speculate in the same way it is with the iPods. I just feel that Apple has nothing to gain by releasing the iPods a week from Wednesday rather than waiting a couple of weeks for their promo to expire. iPhone sales are still strong, so it's not like they're going to hurt them to wait. I would think it would hurt them to release early.

Releasing them pre-promo seems like a bad move to me, but maybe there's a good reason to do it that I'm just not seeing.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Those links to the image mockups, those mockups look really really ugly. To me anyway... But yeah w000t new iPods week after next.

aye!

• Reply 34 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adachis View Post

I mean, you can draw the same conclusions about the MacBook Pros. Stock is dwindling on the 15" models and there's a new 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo mobile processor. It's in the iMacs already, why not the MacBook Pros?

Heat and battery life? Right now, you don't get that high clock without some compromise.

Quote:

Releasing them pre-promo seems like a bad move to me, but maybe there's a good reason to do it that I'm just not seeing.

Even if it's a bad idea, they've done it a couple times before.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While agree that the the new Nanos will probably keep the same form factor, there is no way in hell that a Video iPod will have a max 32GB capacity at double the pricepoint of an 80GB HDD iPod. Does that really make sense to you? HDD based devices are not dead! The only way for Apple to make large capacity Video iPods is to use HDDs.

+++

Absolutely. I can't understand why people think the time is ripe to cut iPod capacity by two thirds while tripling the cost to Apple. Flash will take more and more of the market as capacity rises and costs fall, but at the moment it makes no sense at all for a 60GB iPod, much less 100GB and up.

And there is definitely a market for large capacity iPods, particularly "true video" iPods.

I think people are being influenced by the iPhone's flash only configuration, but there are good reasons to limit the iPhone to flash that don't hold for the iPod.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

+++

Absolutely. I can't understand why people think the time is ripe to cut iPod capacity by two thirds while tripling the cost to Apple.

Who said that?

All the stories I've seen concede that there may be one HDD model.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Guys Apple has done it before, release new ipods while a student discount is going on. Doesn't hurt them. Think about it. If you had to buy a new mac for school and Apple gave you a free $200 off toward last years iPods, would you not take one? If you got a 4gig nano it would be free or only $50 for a 30gig video. Even if the new ones were out and you were buying a new laptop you would be stupid to pass that up. I mean who here is going to say "Just give me the mac, I don't want your free nano because it's last years model"? At the very least you could resell it on ebay. It does two things for Apple, clears out old iPod stock and acts as a promotion to sell macs.

I really hope we get a touch screen iPod with wifi and safari. I know a lot of people think it would cannibalize the iPhone, but who cares, Apple is still selling product. At least they are keeping it in the family. There are a lot of people like me that don't want the phone but want everything else about the product but with more capacity.

If the rumors are true and there will be four ipod lines, then it sounds like Apple is going to introduce one closer to the iPhone price point, which means similar to the iPhone.

That being said...

The iPhone throws a real wrench into the works. I can't see Apple releasing an iPod that is virtually the same (wifi, bluetooth, ect) as the iphone but with 32-160GB of capacity depending on if it uses flash or HDD. The reason is because the iPhone has a small little 4-8GB. Even if Apple were to release a 32GB flash ipod at $600 that did everything but the phone it is going to make the iphone look weak with it's mere 8GB. If they release it with a hard drive it's going to make the iphone look even worse and make the device thicker and drain more power.

Here is what I think we are looking at realistically

iPod 3.5" touchscreen/widescreen/aluminum and glass, (no wifi, no bluetooth, no safari, no camera, and no phone) priced at $400 with 100GB HDD. Taking out the three radios will save on power and cost and allow the entire backplate to be aluminum. Simpler design then the iphone, no fancy chrome ring around the front.

iPod Nano (stubby) - 2" -2.5" screen - video playback - 16GB at $250-$300

iPod Nano (current design) - 4GB $150 or 8GB $200

iPod Shuffle (current design) - 2GB all colors including black - $79 or $89
  • Reply 38 of 62
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    If all Apple comes out with is a new iPod that's just the same as all the others except for a screen that's an inch bigger, it'll be a complete non-starter. Apple said the iPhone was the best iPod they ever made. Fine, I agree. Now, it's up to them to really make the best iPod they've ever made with all the design and features of the iPhone but without the phone parts.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

If all Apple comes out with is a new iPod that's just the same as all the others except for a screen that's an inch bigger, it'll be a complete non-starter. Apple said the iPhone was the best iPod they ever made. Fine, I agree. Now, it's up to them to really make the best iPod they've ever made with all the design and features of the iPhone but without the phone parts.

I agree with this post.

(PS: Rolo, sorry that I took out your color/font/size -- I thought it a bit over-the top, and didn't want to assault people's senses again ).
  • Reply 40 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

iPod 3.5" touchscreen/widescreen/aluminum and glass, (no wifi, no bluetooth, no safari, no camera, and no phone) priced at $400 with 100GB HDD. Taking out the three radios will save on power and cost and allow the entire backplate to be aluminum. Simpler design then the iphone, no fancy chrome ring around the front.

I think Apple will keep the same price points of $249 and $349, and the capacities will be 60 and 100GB. I'd like to say 80 and 120GB but I still it's too soon for Apple to offer the 120GB drives. It will run OS X and have the same touch-screen functionality of the iPhone. THAT WILL NOT BE SSD!

Quote:

iPod Nano (stubby) - 2" -2.5" screen - video playback - 16GB at $250-$300

I don't think the recent photos are real. It makes no sense to offer this device with a small screen, low capacity and an ugly design.

Quote:

iPod Nano (current design) - 4GB $150 or 8GB $200

I think we'll see the low-end Nano at 4GB for $150, the mid-range, multi-colored Nanos at 8GB for $200 and the black Nano at 16GB for $250.

Quote:

iPod Shuffle (current design) - 2GB all colors including black - $79 or $89

I think this will remain at 1GB (maybe 1.5GB, but I doubt it). A lower price point really makes more sense than to add more capacity to a device that has no options for selecting songs. Plus, the a lower price point will help introduce the shuffle to a new market that will hopefully then decide to buy a full-size iPod.