Former employees nabbed for burglary at Apple facility (mug shots)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Two former Apple employees are under arrest after a botched burglary attempt at the company's Elk Grove facility early Sunday morning, according to a statement released Monday by the Elk Grove Police Department.

Dominic Aguilar, 31, and Richard Mejia, 36, were both taken into custody on suspicion of attempted burglary and conspiracy after detectives received information about a break-in that was to take place Sunday outside the Apple facility at 2911 Laguna Boulevard.

After receiving the tip, detectives were able to contact Apple and with the assistance of their corporate security, began a surveillance of the business.

At approximately 2:30 a.m., the detectives observed Aguilar and Mejia gain access to the Apple grounds by cutting a hole in an exterior chain link fence. Once both suspects made their way onto the property, they attempted to forcibly enter an exterior door to the business, police said.

The suspects were unsuccessful in their attempt and quickly bailed when detectives began to move in. Fleeing by foot, the suspects reportedly jumped into a nearby creek in an attempt to escape. At this point, Elk Grove Police Department began a systematic search for the suspects utilizing everything from police officers and K-9 units to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department helicopter.

Both suspects (photos below) were eventually located and arrested for 182 Penal Code (Conspiracy) and 664/459 Penal Code (Attempted Burglary), police said.

It's unclear what motivated the two suspects to stage the burglary attempt. However, portions of the Elk Grove facility -- which once served as a manufacturing plant for Apple's iMacs and Power Mac systems -- are known to contain hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars worth of returned or refurbished Apple merchandise.

Apple in recent months has become an increasingly popular target amongst thieves, who've proven they'll do just about anything to get their hands on the company's latest electronics gear. Sunday's burglary attempt is the third on an Apple facility reported so far this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    This is the shocked look on my face ->
  • Reply 2 of 41
    dkoffdkoff Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two former Apple employees are under arrested after a botched burglary attempt at the company's Elk Grove facility early Sunday morning, according to a statement released Monday by the Elk Grove Police Department.

hey, if these guys were under arrested. it just means they were trying to meet quota or shooting for getting over-arrested. you can't blame guys for trying, right?

well, either that or someone needs to proofread.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Inventory or Genuis Bar employees?
  • Reply 4 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Inventory or Genuis Bar employees?

They answer the phone if you don't press 1 for English
  • Reply 5 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I guess photos of anything related to Apple rumors are hard enough to come by that they'll put up mug shots. While we're at it, how about some conceptual photochops of Woz with that lady he was supposedly dating?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    How discrete of AppleInsider to put their photos on the website. Is this legal?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

They answer the phone if you don't press 1 for English

• Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Is this legal?

Then you may have never seen this site
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

Two words: Public Record.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's unclear what motivated the two suspects to stage the burglary attempt.

I'm going to make a guess here - but I think they wanted money, and saw stealing items that could be sold elsewhere (e.g. eBay) as an avenue to that goal. I know, its a crazy theory, so please don't laugh at me over it.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    i think the one on the left is Steve Jobs
  • Reply 12 of 41
    citycity Posts: 522member
    private
  • Reply 13 of 41
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkoff View Post

... under arrested...it just means they were trying to meet quota or shooting for getting over-arrested...

well, either that or someone needs to proofread.

Yet again, AppleInsider. Tsk, tsk.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 14 of 41
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

I'm going to make a guess here - but I think they wanted money, and saw stealing items that could be sold elsewhere (e.g. eBay) as an avenue to that goal. I know, its a crazy theory, so please don't laugh at me over it.

Maybe they wanted to develop a graphing calculator for Apple to include with the OS.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I guess photos of anything related to Apple rumors are hard enough to come by that they'll put up mug shots.

I'm glad the photos were included -- it helped me to realize that one of these guys

tried to sell me an iPod the other day!

(Disclaimer: Kidding. I never met the alleged robbers, nor have I met anyone

associated with them. I never dated Woz. I am not the Fake Steve. I don't

represent Apple nor anyone associated with them. I have never bought or

seen stolen property. I didn't kiss a girl once that I probably shouldn't have,

as far as you know. I am not currently suing Apple, nor am I knowingly

part of a class of numbskulls that are. I'm not the real Steve, either.)

• Reply 16 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

It's public information.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Did you see the Bill Gates mug?

Wow.... that is pretty funny... my favorite part was this:

"Microsoft boss Bill Gates was photographed by the Albuquerque, New Mexico police in 1977 after a traffic violation (details of which have been lost over time)"

i.e. someone got bumped off when Bill made his first mil.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    No one can claim they aren't an Equal Opportunity Employer.

If looks were a measure of ethics these two look like regulars on Americas Most Wanted.

Thankfully, looks aren't a measure of your merit as well it shouldn't.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Even its not illegal, it doesn't mean that AI or others should do the same.

I would ask AI, please remove the pictures.

Its does no good to this site.

Even it talks about apple inside information, this has nothing to do with AI purpose.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    sswiftsswift Posts: 13member
    Very poor taste of AI to post pictures.

This is not the National Enquirer, nor is it the the newsletter of the fascist Minutemen.

They added nothing to the story and were purely sensational

( and witness my post- inflammatory !)