Apple adds television programming to iTunes Store in the UK

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple announced Wednesday that hit television programming from ABC Studios, Disney Channel, MTV, Nickelodeon and Paramount Comedy is now available for &#1631.89 an episode from the iTunes Store in the UK.

iTunes customers can choose from a wide range of popular primetime programming including the Emmy Award-winning series "Lost," "Desperate Housewives," "Grey?s Anatomy," "Ugly Betty" and locally-produced UK series such as MTV?s "Barrio 19," Nickelodeon?s "Genie in the House" and Paramount Comedy?s "Comedy Blue." The iTunes Store in the UK currently offers 28 television programs for purchase and download which can be viewed on a PC or Mac, fifth generation iPod, or on a widescreen TV with Apple TV.

"We?re thrilled to bring TV programming to the iTunes Store in the UK," said Eddy Cue, Apple?s vice president of iTunes. "We?ve got 28 shows and expect to continue to add more great programming."

The complete list of television programming on the iTunes Store in the UK includes:

Disney?s ABC Studios? dramas and comedy-dramas "Lost," "Desperate Housewives," "Grey?s Anatomy," "Ugly Betty," "Commander in Chief" and "Nightstalker;"

Disney Channel?s renowned children?s programming including "Jake Long: American Dragon," "Kim Possible," "That?s So Raven," "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" and Playhouse Disney titles "Handy Manny," "Little Einsteins" and "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse;"

MTV?s reality favorites "Pimp My Ride," "Barrio 19," "Bam?s Unholy Union," "Laguna Beach," and "My Sweet Sixteen;"

Nickelodeon children?s programming "Avatar: The Legend of Aang," "Drake and Josh," "Dora the Explorer," "Genie in the House" and "SpongeBob SquarePants;" and

Paramount Comedy hits "South Park," "Comedy Blue," "Jongleurs Unleashed: Part I," "That 70?s Show" and "The World Stands Up."

Pricing & Availability

iTunes 7 for Mac and Windows includes the iTunes Store and is available as a free download from Apple's website. Purchase and download of songs and videos from the iTunes Store requires a valid credit card from a financial institution in the country of purchase. Television shows are available in the US and UK only, and video availability varies by country. Television shows are £1.89 per episode in the UK. TV shows from the iTunes Store are downloaded in near-DVD quality at a resolution of 640x480 (up to 480, depending on the aspect ratio) and can be viewed on a computer, fifth generation iPod or widescreen TV with Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I"m almost tired of complaining....
  • Reply 2 of 24
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    What a rip off!!

At £1.89 (that the same as £1.60 excluding our 17.5% VAT), we are paying the equivalent of $3.20. USA customer pay only $1.99. Why must we be ripped off again?

Don't blame the studios this time, they are all USA based and therefore could easily have matched the price. We should be paying £1.17 including our VAT at the current exchange rate. Even with a little more profit, why could they not charge £1.29 or £1.39?

A single iTunes track cost $0.99 in the US, we pay £0.79 ($1.58), by applying the same factor to videos we should only be paying a max of £1.58 - what is going on here?

A complete series of Lost would cost me 24 * £1.89 = £45.36.

Why would I bother when I can get better quality DVD's for £32.97 with free shipping?

I for one will not be buying from the store.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

I"m almost tired of complaining....

Here are a few stats about Canada that might intrest #1 Infinite Loop...

1. Popoulation the same as California

2. We are just north of New York (and Montana, and Seattle, ...)

3. We speak the same language (except Quebec but they don't count when it comes to Apple)

4. We have a lot of money because the USA and China keep increasing the value of our raw resources

5. We don't have enough Apple products to spend out money on.

Things Canada would like from Apple:

1. iPhone

2. Movies on Itunes

3. TV on iTunes

4. The full iTunes catalog of music

5. Steve Job's vacation home (Whistler?)

6. Our population share of inventory.

-> End Rant <-
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

A complete series of Lost would cost me 24 * £1.89 = £45.36.

Why would I bother when I can get better quality DVD's for £32.97 with free shipping?

I for one will not be buying from the store.

A complete season is £32.99 on the store, individual episodes are £1.89. Season 3 of Lost isn't on DVD until October, Amazons price for the Season 3 box set will be £44.98 with a full price of £59.99.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I really want to see sucker that buys this. WOW , just WOW , and i dont even care , i live in California. I sense Apple's trademark ignorance is starting to take over the company. 1st iPhone's terms and now this.

I really gotta wonder, come Sept 5th , Apple is gonna give us some kind of crappy iPod update , nothing close to what people expect ( like full size touch screen ala iPhone ).
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Yeah? this is sucky. I think it has something to do with the really weak dollar. Still sucks though.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Cool, but where are our movies?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Here are a few stats about Canada that might intrest #1 Infinite Loop...

1. Popoulation the same as California

2. We are just north of New York (and Montana, and Seattle, ...)

3. We speak the same language (except Quebec but they don't count when it comes to Apple)

4. We have a lot of money because the USA and China keep increasing the value of our raw resources

5. We don't have enough Apple products to spend out money on.

Things Canada would like from Apple:

1. iPhone

2. Movies on Itunes

3. TV on iTunes

4. The full iTunes catalog of music

5. Steve Job's vacation home (Whistler?)

6. Our population share of inventory.

-> End Rant <-

Not to mention we actually LIKE American culture on the TV (only, thank you very much) compared to the Brits.

AND have higher broadband connection rates (per capita) than the USA AND UK.

So heck, throw up 30% NFB crap online to iTunes (Log Driver's Waltz anyone?) and open up the tubes!

I for one think it might have something to do with Michael Geist not yelling at a certain Konrad von Finckenstein of the CRTC loud enough.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

What a rip off!!

---snip---

Because you can't insert a DVD into your iPod, innit?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

Not to mention we actually LIKE American culture on the TV (only, thank you very much) compared to the Brits.

AND have higher broadband connection rates (per capita) than the USA AND UK.

So heck, throw up 30% NFB crap online to iTunes (Log Driver's Waltz anyone?) and open up the tubes!

I for one think it might have something to do with Michael Geist not yelling at a certain Konrad von Finckenstein of the CRTC loud enough.

Any country that unleashes "Red Green" on the world must be invaded and rendered powerless to commit future atrocities.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Yeah? this is sucky. I think it has something to do with the really weak dollar. Still sucks though.

Ummm, A weak dollar makes the Pound stronger. A week dollar shouldn't make European prices higher--in fact it should do the contrary...
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Any country that unleashes "Red Green" on the world must be invaded and rendered powerless to commit future atrocities.

Red Green may have lowered the standard but if it was not for Canada, the US would not have sence of humour... Steve Smith (aka Red Green) John Candy, Martin Short, John Aykryid, Eugene Levy, Jim Carrey, and the infamous Phil Hartman are all notable Canadians...

Of course the USA contributed to Canadian comedy culture with Chris Rock and Sinbad... thanks for nothing.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:

...but if it was not for Canada, the US would not have sence of humour... :

but if it wasnt for the UK, you wouldnt have youre language :P
  • Reply 14 of 24
  • Reply 15 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Red Green may have lowered the standard but if it was not for Canada, the US would not have sence of humour... Steve Smith (aka Red Green) John Candy, Martin Short, John Aykryid, Eugene Levy, Jim Carrey, and the infamous Phil Hartman are all notable Canadians...

Of course the USA contributed to Canadian comedy culture with Chris Rock and Sinbad... thanks for nothing.

LOL! You Canucks are forgiven, but only because of Phil Hartman and Jim Carrey... and Eugene Levy... mm... and maybe Martin Short. Oh, alright, Dan Aykroyd, er, Pamela Anderson? ...James Cameron, Alexander Graham Bell, James Doohan, Joe Flaherty, Michael J. Fox, Natasha Henstridge, Peter Jennings, Rick Moranis, Mike Myers, Christopher Plummer, Ivan Reitman, William Shatner, Donald and Keifer Sutherland, (still not forgiven for Howie Mandel, Rich Little and Norm MacDonald)... yeah, I guess there have been a few...

And you can send back Chris Rock and Sinbad... for recycling.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

LOL! You Canucks are forgiven, but only because of Phil Hartman and Jim Carrey... and Eugene Levy... mm... and maybe Martin Short. Oh, alright, Dan Aykroyd, er, Pamela Anderson? ...James Cameron, Alexander Graham Bell, James Doohan, Joe Flaherty, Michael J. Fox, Natasha Henstridge, Peter Jennings, Rick Moranis, Mike Myers, Christopher Plummer, Ivan Reitman, William Shatner, Donald and Keifer Sutherland, (still not forgiven for Howie Mandel, Rich Little and Norm MacDonald)... yeah, I guess there have been a few...

And you can send back Chris Rock and Sinbad... for recycling.

+ neil young and joni mitchell
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Ummm, A weak dollar makes the Pound stronger. A week dollar shouldn't make European prices higher--in fact it should do the contrary...

Yikes!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Yikes!

Still, I agree with you and the original UK complainer-- It sucks!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I hope this UK announcement is a lead up to improved quality downloads in the US. Otherwise, why wouldn't Apple save the UK news until next week at the "event?" But if that was the case, why not begin in the UK with top quality downloads? I guess I'm just dreaming, and making no sense at all.

If the rumors are true that iPods will run a version of OS X, wouldn't they then be capable of playing 720p TV shows and movies. Isn't iPods' inability to play HD one of the suggested reasons iTS doesn't yet offer HD?

Anyway, I've yet to get interested in video from iTunes because it's only near-DVD quality. I'd rather have a DVD if that's the case. Unfortunately, I have to wait a half year for TV shows to show up on DVDs. Sigh.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Not much to choose from but at least it's a start. Hopefully more will follow together with movies in time.

Let's be honest you can't blame Apple for the fact that everything in the UK costs more than the equivalent (exchange rate) price in the US. Every other company I can think of prices their products in the same way. Companies charge what they think local consumers will pay.

I bet HMV/Virgin or Amazon UK charge more for the same DVD than their US counterparts.