Apple to launch ringtone service for iPhone users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple during its media event next Wednesday plans to unveil a new ringtone service that will allow iPhone users to turn almost any song sold through iTunes into a ringtone for an additional fee, according to the NY Post.

While the exact pricing for the service is unclear at this point, a source suggested to the New York paper that the ringtones may be marketed as enhanced downloads in much the same way Apple offers high-quality, unprotected music files from EMI.

Apple will also allow users to convert songs they have previously purchased through iTunes into a ringtone.

"In a new twist, iPhone users will have the ability to choose any part of the song they want as their ringtone," the Post said. "Most major ringtone offerings from Verizon, AT&T or Sprint feature pre-determined samples."

For consumers who don't want to design personalized ringtones, Apple will reportedly also sell traditional music ringtones.

Revenues from the sale of ringtones in the U.S. topped $600 million in 2006, up from $68 million in 2003, according to BMI, a collection society for songwriters and publishers. Meanwhile, worldwide sales last year are reported to have totaled $3.5 billion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Thank god! Because the lack of ringtones is what's keeping this phone down!

Quote:

Apple during its media event next Wednesday plans to unveil a new ringtone service that will allow iPhone users to turn almost any song sold through iTunes into a ringtone for an additional fee, according to the NY Post.

But what about songs not sold through the iTMS. And why does it cost any money at all to take one of your legally purchased songs and make a ringtone out of it?

And is it going to cost the same, if not more, for a ringtone then the complete version of a song?
  • Reply 2 of 86
    Pay twice for my media?

They've got to be joking.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Hey has anyone noticed the ringtone in all the iPhone commercials and videos from Apple is not included on the phone? The plain old ring? No where on the phone!

I love my iPhone, but seriously, sometimes I want the ring to sound a little more professional than a happy marimba tunes when someone calls.

Where's the freaking ring Apple? No wonder you aren't appealing to the Wall Street crowd!
  • Reply 4 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

Pay twice for my media?

They've got to be joking.

Quote:

Apple will also allow users to convert songs they have previously purchased through iTunes into a ringtone.

Please read the article carefully.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

Hey has anyone noticed the ringtone in all the iPhone commercials and videos from Apple is not included on the phone? The plain old ring? No where on the phone!

I love my iPhone, but seriously, sometimes I want the ring to sound a little more professional than a happy marimba tunes when someone calls.

Where's the freaking ring Apple? No wonder you aren't appealing to the Wall Street crowd!

Yea, it's annoying that this isn't included. Make a suggestion that Apple include it with the next iPhone software update. You can suggest it at http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  • Reply 6 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

Please read the article carefully.

I did. You quoted badly. Here's a bigger quote:

Quote:

Apple during its media event next Wednesday plans to unveil a new ringtone service that will allow iPhone users to turn almost any song sold through iTunes into a ringtone for an additional fee

• Reply 7 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

I have the same problem with my crappy Samsung phone (sure its crappy, but it was cheap!). Of the included 15 rings, one was decent for a phone, a second was OK, and the rest are just stupid. And half are stupid melodies (like in ancient MIDI from a mac in the early 90s). Does anyone really want the can-can as a ring tone?
  • Reply 8 of 86
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ummm... Wait a minute. Here in Japan I haven't paid much attention to the iPhone, as it won't be here any time soon.

But - I had assumed that an iPhone with your iTunes music would allow you to use any freaking song you have in your iTunes library or on your freaking phone.

If not, WHAT'S THE POINT OF AN iPHONE?

Nobody should have to pay anything extra for what should already be free. This is pathetic!

An iPhone, which is a tricked out iPod, should use its music for what ever it needs to.

And people still actually want to pay money for this thing?
  • Reply 9 of 86
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Will this service also allow snippets of non-ITS content to be converted?

e.g. MP3 or converte .wav files that have been brought into iTunes?

Also, not having taken the plunge yet, does this mean that plethora of sounfile->ringtone converts available for most other phones do not work for the iPhone?

Just curious... I'm not a ringtone freak, but I do have a great Hanna-Barbera sound I've been dying to use as a ringtone.

(See #31 here...)

http://www.tvondvdshop.com/rel/v2_vi...pc=08122718282
  • Reply 10 of 86
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    ringtones are dumb, i want customizable vibration settings....
  • Reply 11 of 86
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    My guess is that you can convert any song you already purchased via iTunes for free. You also have the option to buy a ringtone from the online store at a price.

Wonder how Ambroisa's gonna take this.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    This event is sounding less exciting all the time:

The Beatles on iTunes.

Until Apple truly decides that optical media is dead and disables my CD/DVD drive with an "update," I'll stick with my current method of ripping CD's. Quality still counts to me.

Product (Red) iPod Shuffle

I'm all for supporting good causes, but a new color is just not even vaguely exciting.

And now, a ringtone service.

Not having an iPhone and not really interested in purchasing one, it means nothing to me. And even if I had an iPhone, this would still mean nothing to me as I wouldn't pay extra to have a snippet of a song I already bought be "allowed" to be used as a ringtone.

Maybe at least this will put some of the Apple-as-pro-consumer BS to rest. Why should someone need to pay extra to use 15-seconds of a song they already purchased for a ringtone?

Maybe they can top off this boredom with an announcement that AppleTV will now be able to access Flickr photo albums or My Space pages. Or perhaps they'll top it off with a leather Apple logo embossed iPhone case (that doesn't allow access to the screen without removing it from said case).
  • Reply 13 of 86
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Waiting for the sarcasm to come running in. You have to be joking, right? If anyone says they won't by a phone because of the lack of ringtone support is HIGHLY materialistic and needs to step away from the mirror.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    What about ringbacks?
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:

But - I had assumed that an iPhone with your iTunes music would allow you to use any freaking song you have in your iTunes library or on your freaking phone.

If not, WHAT'S THE POINT OF AN iPHONE?

An iPhone, which is a tricked out iPod, should use its music for what ever it needs to.

I so agree with the philosophy above. Why should you have to pay twice to use a song once you already have it. I have not switched to the iPhone, yet. I am waiting for the time when Apple does allow you to use any song you have in the iTunes library and not just ones you have paid for from iTunes.

I have a RAZR (still with Verizon) and it has a recorder built in. So, I can record any segment of any song I want and then use that as a ringtone.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

If anyone says they won't by a phone because of the lack of ringtone support is HIGHLY materialistic and needs to step away from the mirror.

Do you even understand what the word "materialistic" means?

"Step away from the mirror"?

• Reply 17 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Why should you have to pay twice to use a song once you already have it.

These will be the same people who buy tv shows off of the iTMS when they miss recording them. Even though they've already paid for the shows once via their monthly cable/satellite charges.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

I so agree with the philosophy above. Why should you have to pay twice to use a song once you already have it. I have not switched to the iPhone, yet. I am waiting for the time when Apple does allow you to use any song you have in the iTunes library and not just ones you have paid for from iTunes.

I have a RAZR (still with Verizon) and it has a recorder built in. So, I can record any segment of any song I want and then use that as a ringtone.

First of all, the dude who says he's from Japan and that the iPhone won't be there for a while has to be kidding. I thought the iPhone was already lined up for Japan sometime in early 2008?

Second. . . I would much rather pay a .15 to .30 per track fee to make it into a ringtone (with a section that I select) than what 99% of people who have ringtones on their phone do, which is purchase a song on CD or via iTunes and then purchase THE RINGTONE for $2.99 plus applicable network usage fees (which for someone with no data plan can cost another $1.49).

Look, no one is stupid enough to give this away for free. And I am fine with that. As long as its cheap and I get to use the song the way I want.

My guess is that it works like the DRM-Release worked. It identifies the songs you can convert and lets you pay an upgrade fee for those songs (if you want) and then via the store, it will prompt you when you select the track if you want the ringtone cost or not.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    People should NOT have to pay twice to use a song or snippet of a song they already own. Totally insane that Apple should support this consumer-hostile point of view.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

But what about songs not sold through the iTMS. And why does it cost any money at all to take one of your legally purchased songs and make a ringtone out of it?

And is it going to cost the same, if not more, for a ringtone then the complete version of a song?

It's a kick-back to AT&T for allowing Apple to control media purchases through iTunes. We'll certainly see a mobile iTunes very soon, since this would be the #1 reason why people on an iPhone would want to purchase music or convert their existing tunes (for the fee) on the go.

( got something in my eye )