Major electronics launch; new iPods & iPhones, Apple lobbying

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Target is prepping for a major product introduction timed with Apple's music-focused special event, AppleInsider has learned. Meanwhile, other sources have also let slip signs of impending iPod and iPhone updates.

Target gears up for new iPod launches

An internal note distributed to employees of the large retailer's electronics department is advising them to be ready for an unknown, but very significant, product announcement on Wednesday for which Target will be one of the first resellers.

In a copy provided to AppleInsider, the memo is vague and notes that one or more "high retail" (high profile) and "high theft" products will ship directly to Target outlets almost immediately after their formal introduction on September 5th. The products would arrive between Thursday and Saturday, but would be of sufficiently high priority that it might reach shops outside of normal hours at the shipping docks, Target said.

While there is no name attached to the manufacturer of the products involved in the launch, it wouldn't take much speculation to link Target's preparations with Apple's special event on Wednesday, which is expected to introduce several next-generation iPods.

Newspaper claims iPhone nano, iPod Wi-Fi in the pipeline

Citing documents obtained by a company partnered with Apple, the Washington Post's Sam Diaz claimed in a weekend article that at least two frequently rumored devices were planned for the "coming months."

One of these would be a touchscreen iPod with Wi-Fi, Diaz said. But the Cupertino, Calif.-based company was also planning an "iPhone nano," which would drop prices below the $500 mark of the current iPhone.

Diaz provided no details of when either product would arrive in stores, but has made his claims just ahead of Apple's September 5th iPod-related event. The update also reinforces AppleInsider's reliable sources which pointed to a smaller iPhone likely to ship sometime in the fall.

iPod case maker preps for new video iPod

In one of the more unusual accessory announcements of recent years, Uniea has revealed a new hard leather case that would protect the new, shorter video capable iPod -- even though the iPod itself is still a mystery.

Simply listed as a Hard Protective Leather Case "for new iPod," the design leaked to iLounge would accommodate a wide, larger than 2-inch screen but a click wheel identical to that of the iPod nano. Its launch date is unknown but will see several different color variants sell for $30 each.

Apple spends $720K in federal lobbying

Public disclosures filed in mid-August have revealed that Apple has spent a relatively modest $720,000 in the first half of this year promoting bills in the US House of Congress.

Of the initiatives, the company's highest-profile push included a patent reform bill that would allow companies to contest the validity of patents after they've been granted, preventing some of the infringement lawsuits that affect Apple and other technology firms.

Extra political spending was also channeled towards bills that would boost technology education and cut taxes for product research and development.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    wait so how many new things will apple be announcing on Wednesday? a new iphone, new nano, new touch screen with WiFI video iPod and a new non-touchscreen fat video ipod?
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

wait so how many new things will apple be announcing on Wednesday? a new iphone, new nano, new touch screen with WiFI video iPod and a new non-touchscreen fat video ipod?

yeah, throw enough "darts" and some of them will hit the "board"
  • Reply 3 of 50
    the current iphone is already Nano base so why will they introduce a new one and called it iphone Nano? i can see apple dropping their price by $100 and the current 4 and 8 gigs and introduce a new one with 3G radio on it though and price it at $599 with a bigger drive, but i don't see a cheaper version coming out because even the 4gig one did not sell that good
  • Reply 4 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
  • Reply 5 of 50

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...in_filing.html

Could this be a possible iPod/iPhone nano design. When Apple filed for this patent, I always thought it would be interesting to see what they did with it?

It certainly isn't the iPhone, but it looks similar and could most certainly be a spin-off?
  • Reply 6 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkDifferent View Post

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...in_filing.html

Could this be a possible iPod/iPhone nano design. When Apple filed for this patent, I always thought it would be interesting to see what they did with it?

It certainly isn't the iPhone, but it looks similar and could most certainly be a spin-off?

phat-boy is comin.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    It's just a patent, that's all.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    How will I ever justify a 5th iPod...

• Reply 9 of 50
    I'd love to see a 32GB Nano.

Anyone speculate on the chances of this? 16GB is still too small for me, but a 32GB solid state iPod would be bliss.

Please, 32GB Nano! Please please!
  • Reply 10 of 50
    i just really hope its not that fat and ugly.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

How will I ever justify a 5th iPod...

The beauty is you don't have to buy one.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

i just really hope its not that fat and ugly.

If doubt it will be, highly.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    ThinkDifferent,

The patent filing you posted could very likely be the iPhone-style interface for the 6G iPod video, which does have a full-screen display with touchscreen interface. It will NOT be the interface of the replacement of the iPod nano, since that new device will use the standard Click Wheel interface.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Anyone speculate on the chances of this? 16GB is still too small for me, but a 32GB solid state iPod would be bliss.

Sandisk released a 32GB 1.8" flash drive earlier this year, for $600 volume pricing.

So: $750 Nano! Please, please, $750 Nano!
  • Reply 15 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Sandisk released a 32GB 1.8" flash drive earlier this year, for $600 volume pricing.

So: $750 Nano! Please, please, $750 Nano!

Flash prices have dropped since then. The retail price of a component doesn't reflect Apple's cost. Not only that, Apple had priced the original mini at lower than the retail price of the microdrive that's in it. Creative and Apple used crippled microdrives to prevent people from buying their devices just for the drive. But I do agree that it's unrealistic to expect a 32GB nano, or even a flash 32GB standard iPod.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Flash prices have dropped since then. The retail price of a component doesn't reflect Apple's cost. Not only that, Apple had priced the original mini at lower than the retail price of the microdrive that's in it. Creative and Apple used crippled microdrives to prevent people from buying their devices just for the drive. But I do agree that it's unrealistic to expect a 32GB nano, or even a flash 32GB standard iPod.

Yeah, prices have dropped but the $600 is actual OEM pricing, not retail. Sandisk has subsequently released a much cheaper 2.5" drive (around $325, I believe, again at volume pricing), which makes it a candidate for a full sized iPod, but considering 100GB 2.5" drives retail for around $75 it seems like a tough sell.

I mean, I know there are people who would pay a premium for a larger flash drive iPod, but if the premium is several hundred dollars against a third the capacity, it seems like Apple will still have to wait a while.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

Ah, just 2 days and we'll all know for real.

What I'm waiting to hear about is what's new for the AppleTV. Steve said they'd be news about that coming soon at the last Apple event. Is the 5th when they'll be updating the AppleTV as well? Maybe the 6G iPods will act as programmable advanced remotes for the AppleTVs for things like games.

I don't have an AppleTV but I see the potential it can be. I'm just waiting until it meets that potential. Netflix rentals through the AppleTV would be awesome and negate the negativity of losing NBC's content.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    I don't believe it!

after posting here my iPod Photo became corrupted and wouldn't restore!!

I became a tad angry and drempt up all manner of conspiracy theories what with the 5th being so close an all I wouldn't mind but I was gonna get a new pod anyway!!

But with some perverse perseverance I've got it up and running again. So I will be able to pass it on as promised.

...and I thought waiting for tuesdays was bad!
  • Reply 19 of 50
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

It would cost way too much. To maintain Apple's typical gross margins it would have to be priced far higher than any iPod in the past. 16 GB is reasonable for the high end, 32 is not.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    ajrajr Posts: 12member
    "US House of Congress" ????