More UI stuff - the "close" widget

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    I consider this thread dead as dogmeat.

• Reply 62 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash:

<strong>

You're never gonna understand me, I'm never gonna agree with you. The OS should be built with the user in mind, not obsolete interface guidelines.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well whatever you're ranting about and whatever this mom fetish of yours is, Apple is making a 180 on the decision that these apps should quit on close.

Why? Because the idea is inconsistent. ASK YOUR MOM! She'll quickly be confused why some apps stay open and others quit.

And because certain apps can retain functionality with the main interface closed or hidden, all apps should remain open.

Besides, apps take very little CPU when idle. As for memory...ok, they take memory. But computers nowadays can handle it. Apple isn't going to change OS X to fit the old G3 and G4 users that are still stuck with 128MB of RAM and slower processors.

2 reasons why you should keep your apps launched and why apps shouldn't quit on close:

1. Launch time is still an issue (a small one, but imagine having to launch the app everytime you closed the app? You'd start thinking twice before hitting that close button.)

2. So the Dock doesn't do the Silly Dance. I'd find it annoying that the Dock grows and shrink everytime I launched and quit an app...and so should you.

2 reasons why apps shouldn't quit on close (of the last window or quit on close of the 'single-window'):

1. Apps that still retain functionality even when the main interface window is closed would severly lose this functionality.

2. If certain apps are allowed to stay launched and others not on close, it would cause inconsistencies that YOUR MOM would have nightmare about...do you want your mom to have nightmares? I do. But not you. If your mom starts getting scared that the close button on iTunes will stop the music and quit the app because she's seen this behavior in other apps, then the WHOLE idea of quitting apps on close is BAD.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: kim kap sol ]

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: kim kap sol ]</p>
  • Reply 63 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>

do you want your mom to have nightmares? I do. But not you. </strong><hr></blockquote>

And you really expect me to treat you and reply respectfully after such comments?

This thread is now more dead than a aborted goat-fetus.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: Whyatt Thrash ]</p>
  • Reply 64 of 71
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I thought with the introduction of the dock in OS X, the idea was that it isn't important to a user whether an application is running or not. If you want to use it, you click on its dock icon. The applications current state and whether it is opened or closed is a system 'problem', the user shouldn't need to know or care (hence the barely noticeable triangle under running applications etc).
  • Reply 65 of 71
    go, eugene, go.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>I thought with the introduction of the dock in OS X, the idea was that it isn't important to a user whether an application is running or not. If you want to use it, you click on its dock icon. The applications current state and whether it is opened or closed is a system 'problem', the user shouldn't need to know or care (hence the barely noticeable triangle under running applications etc).</strong><hr></blockquote>

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The point I was trying to make is that whether the close widget closes the application or not, and hence all the arguments for and against, should be irrelevant.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    Considering well-written apps should spawn a new window when its Dock icon is clicked, having an app quit on close is rather dumb.

To remove all ambiguities in the OS...close widgets should only close the window. It should be up to the user to decide whether to quit the app or not via cmd-Q or the Quit menu item.

The well-written app should allow the last window to close without quitting the app...regardless of how useless the app may become without that window. The well-written app should also bring a new document window or the main interface window back up when the user clicks on the Dock icon...to prevent Mom and Pops from wondering if they clicked anything at all.

Not quitting the app means lightning fast interaction. Instead of waiting for the app to launch, you get your window instantly. Having the Address Book and iCal close all the time was a huge PITA.

I'm not saying...never quit any of your apps. I'm saying don't bother quitting the ones you use often. I use iCal often, and having it quit all the time (during it's initial release) was driving me up the wall.

If Safari quit on close of the last window...I'd lose my frickin' mind!