Apple sells one millionth iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

10 million phones? Sounds doable to me, especially if they go hit up other countries (just think, this was just the states' opening).

Yeah, probably doable, especially now that the iPhone is showing up as either paid product placements on tv shows or tv shows using the product for the "cool factor". Saw on Sunday night "The Hill" (I believe the name of the show) where one guy driving a car pulled out his iPhone to call and argue with his friend who was in his apartment on his iPhone and a MacBook Pro sitting on the coffee table...
  • Reply 22 of 165
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Why is Apple stock so easily manipulated by blogging rumors. Does it say something about the type of people that invest in Apple? Are Apple investors really just blind sheep that never look further than a day's trade? Apple investors are their own worst enemy.

The next rumor is about the failure of launching a 3G phone that EVERYONE was expecting to happen soon. When the hell did Apple ever say they were going to launch a 3G phone? But some idiot being interviewed was making this statement. Now investors are going to listen to this fool and start pulling out money again.

Maybe the media should take some blame, but the chickensh*t investors aren't of much use either.

Would you have any idea whether it's day traders or large institutions that cause Apple's stock fluctuate so much on idle rumors? Maybe it's getting too easy to trade so people don't take time to think things through. A good broker might tell you it's foolish to keep dumping stock everytime you hear some unfounded rumor. I know you're going to say that they wouldn't care because they get a commission, but I don't believe every broker is like that.

I have to disagree with you on a $200 stock price, however. Not this year. Apple stock can't get any traction since the US economy is not in the best of shape. I think if it gets to around $170 I'd consider myself lucky.

Yes, indeed!
  • Reply 23 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, if true, this could be HUGE for us Apple people...... (sorry for the long URL):

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ndex_top+story

I wonder which former executive is quoted?

"They're probably already frustrated with AT&T. If they put a few billion behind this, they could build a kick-ass network."

A kick-ass prospect, no doubt.
  • Reply 24 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

I'm going to take a wild guess here and guess that less than 1% of phones were bought for that purpose, maybe even less.

Most likely. I'd bet the numbers are comparable to the people hacking OSX and running it on cheap PC hardware. Sure, it's possible but having to jump through even minor hoops will deter most people.

Pretty amazing sales so far, they were probably really close to a million before they even cut prices.

And the stock is up so far today, no surprise there. The big drops after the event last week just show how little understanding of Apple and the industry most wall street types have.
  • Reply 25 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Huh???

Look carefully. AppleInsider stated, "Apple, which slashed thecost of the handset by $200 last Wednesday, has said it hopes to sell 10 million units by the end of 2008."

It should have been, "Apple, which slashed the price of the handset by $200 last Wednesday, has said it hopes to sell 10 million units by the end of 2008."
  • Reply 26 of 165
    1 million iPhones, impressive.

10 million can be achieved end of the year, one unlocked market that will make things even easier.
  • Reply 27 of 165
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

Wow, if true, this could be HUGE for us Apple people...... (sorry for the long URL):

That's fine for the U.S.. If Apple did bid and get the spectrum then I'm not sure how that would help them around the world. Their current strategy seems to be working well in selling their million iPhone. For those like me that don't like AT&T there's the iPod touch.
  • Reply 28 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Look carefully. AppleInsider stated, "Apple, which slashed thecost of the handset by $200 last Wednesday, has said it hopes to sell 10 million units by the end of 2008."

It should have been, "Apple, which slashed the price of the handset by $200 last Wednesday, has said it hopes to sell 10 million units by the end of 2008."

Sorry, my mistake - I thought you were referring to the headline.
  • Reply 29 of 165
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple said Monday that it sold its one millionth iPhone yesterday, just 74 days after its introduction on June 29.

{Raises virtual glass.}

Here's to you, Steve, and to the many fine people who work for you.
  • Reply 30 of 165
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    How many of those were bought at the new reduced price? It's been less than a week since the drop but that alone stil could have been enough.

They should send the 1 millionth person something, maybe a personal letter from jobs or an engrave classic or nano, I don't know something, spin that PR wheel a tiny bit harder.
  • Reply 31 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

How many of those were bought at the new reduced price? It's been less than a week since the drop but that alone stil could have been enough.

They should send the 1 millionth person something, maybe a personal letter from jobs or an engrave classic or nano, I don't know something, spin that PR wheel a tiny bit harder.

They've often done that in the past. I wonder if they will do it now?
  • Reply 32 of 165
    Sales will explode if AT&T and Apple create a business/education plan, currently no state system or University has a way of purchasing an iPhone as AT&T does not provide for a state contract (state contracts can't pay tax or have an individual own the account ...we know that the plan price won't be discounted) and companies have other billing issues. Once this changes the volume purchases will start and my stock will be ...
  • Reply 33 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Huh???

This should remove any doubt that the price reduction was a positive reaction to a positive situation. The price cut could not have had ANY impact on selling 1 MILLION phones in 74 days. It was only in place for a couple of days.

Apple

1) Increased the manufacturing base for the iPhone with the introduction of the iPod Touch - same screen, same memory, same processors, etc..... This would have lowered their costs.

2) Apple wants to really smash into the market over the holiday season.

3) IF the new 3G phones are coming this positions the pricing much much better. Apple always seems to strive to rational pricing structures for its product line.

4) Apple got their first monthly payment from AT&T and their iPhone users. At about 10% this will be about 10$ per month or 240$ in a two year contract period. Plenty to cut retail price by 200$. Apple always said that they don't want carriers to subsidize the phone, but eventually they are subsidizing it themselves.
  • Reply 34 of 165
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

10 million in a year and a half? that seems like an awful lot...

Actually they are aiming for 10 million in 2008 by itself. As in, 12 months.
  • Reply 35 of 165
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

This rumor brings to mind the former MCI data center Apple bought in Newark,CA in

Feb 2006. Does anyone know how Apple is (or is not) using that data center?
  • Reply 36 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually they are aiming for 10 million in 2008 by itself. As in, 12 months.

That was never said.
  • Reply 37 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That was never said.

"Q: Do you still think you'll sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year ? or will it be more?

Jobs: We think 10 million is a realistic goal."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinv...enson-qa_N.htm

Jobs first mentioned that goal when he announced the iPod and has reiterated it multiple times since then.
  • Reply 38 of 165
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I cannot see Apple buying the new wireless spectrum and starting a new network all by itself. Its way out of Apple's business model and would cost too much money to implement.

I could see Apple partnering in the buy with Google and others then allowing someone else to build the network. That would allow an open network free from mobile service providers.
  • Reply 39 of 165
    five characters.
  • Reply 40 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I cannot see Apple buying the new wireless spectrum and starting a new network all by itself. Its way out of Apple's business model and would cost too much money to implement.

I could see Apple partnering in the buy with Google and others then allowing someone else to build the network. That would allow an open network free from mobile service providers.

Actually, the article addresses these issues (last couple of paras of page 3). It was one of the better thought-out articles on a topic such as this, hence the reason I posted the link:

"The hardware cost of building out the network would probably not be that huge, measured in hundreds of millions, possibly, rather than billions. And if Apple went to a voice-is-free approach or to a flat fee, many of the administrative tasks?bill tracking, or detailed call data, for example?would be largely unnecessary. And since no lawns would need to be dug up to make way for new fiber cables, Apple could connect homes for less than $300, compared with more than $800 for fiber, say experts.

Of course, there would be enormous complexity in running such a network, given rules set by the FCC. That's why most sources think Apple would sign up a partner to handle the grunt work?say, an equipment provider such as Ericsson (ERIC) or Alcatel (ALU), or a consulting firm such as EDS (EDS)."