Apple UK to host special (iPhone?) event next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Digital invites to the event simply state that: "Mum is no longer the word", and ask media and analysts to show up at 10:00 a.m., Tuesday 18 September, for a press conference.

Have you heard? The word is "love"!

I think we all know the real meaning of this . . .

1) Beatles catalogue on iTunes,

2) Special Edition iPod Classic (Yellow) w/ Beatles Catalogue on it,

3) Special Edition MBP signed by Ringo,

4) Ultra-portable with Dual Japanese/English Keyboard,

5) iPhone for European Market,

6) iPhone for Eastern European Black Market,

7) Free Nano Phatty with any European iMac purchase,

8) Non-glossy Screen Option for new iMacs,

9) $100 credit for anyone who has bought anything lately from Apple,

10) Some minor American artist "flies across the pond" to perform for assembled journalists, and

11) A special relationship is announced with a European Coffee chain of some kind.

• Reply 22 of 79
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I buy a 3G iPhone in the UK on the 18th will it work with 3G carrier AT&T or T-Mobile in the US?

I find it very very VERY hard to believe that an American-based company would release a product that's available elsewhere in the world, but NOT in America...or at least without announcing when it will be available in America.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I find it very very VERY hard to believe that an American-based company would release a product that's available elsewhere in the world, but NOT in America...or at least without announcing when it will be available in America.

Open your mind to the possibilities. Step back inside the RDF.

• Reply 24 of 79
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    the iPhone 3G is coming very soon to an Apple store near you.

I bet prior to Xmas.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:

If I buy a 3G iPhone in the UK on the 18th will it work with 3G carrier AT&T or T-Mobile in the US? Id est, do the 3G bands differ across the pond?

AT&T and T-mobile in the US aren't even compatible with each other, using different frequencies. Both are different to Europe. Unless the 3G iPhone supports all three frequencies you'll be out of luck.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    iPhone for UK. What else would it be?

I think melgross is right about the pricing issue (though it pains me greatly to say so).
  • Reply 27 of 79
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

European 3G 16 Gig iphone,, plus a few extras

The extras being Skype for the iPhone maybe.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

iPhone for UK. What else would it be?

I think melgross is right about the pricing issue (though it pains me greatly to say so).

Gee?thank's.\
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The extras being Skype for the iPhone maybe.

I really hope not. Skype is evil. Giving Skype more fuel will just add to the non-standard mess it's creating. Skype should just f off.

If they're going to do VOIP then just a decent iChat based SIP client would do me so I can continue using Gizmo, SIPGate, Google or a trixbox setup.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

AT&T and T-mobile in the US aren't even compatible with each other, using different frequencies. Both are different to Europe. Unless the 3G iPhone supports all three frequencies you'll be out of luck.

I guess what I'm asking are there 3G chips that will cover all N. American and EU frequencies. I think this would be in Apple's best interest.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Check this out:

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/803

Sounds a bit strange, but possible ..
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Just to be mischievous...

Mum's the word means to keep a secret.

To reveal a secret is to let the cat out of the bag...

2 + 2 = 5!
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLOOeY View Post

Check this out:

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/803

Sounds a bit strange, but possible ..

FYI: I have two pet-peeves when it comes to weblinks.

• People not using hyperlinks. But think isn't an issue on AI a vBulletin auto-formats links.

• Not bloody hell explaining what the link pertains to. How about quoting a paragraph or even a headline for Christ's sake?
  • Reply 34 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    How about this one.

"Spilling the beans" is also a good phrase. Here's an illustration of that from O2's CEO Peter Erskine:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=42327
  • Reply 35 of 79
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I suspect that both 2.5G and 3G iPhones will be sold in parallel. You heard it here first.

First? Not exactly. I've been thinking to myself for awhile now that it makes (common) sense that the only way Apple can get out from under their Euro predicament is to sell both 2.5G and 3G models at the same time, and at significantly differing price points.

If Apple releases only a 2.5G model for Europe and drags ass on bringing a Euro 3G model out? iPhone is a lot less successful over there... after the 'early adopt no matter what' fanatic sales peter out shortly after launch, sales prolly fall off a cliff in Europe 'til the 3G model comes out.

(even so, Apple may just say "It's only six months", and just wait to do 3G worldwide in coordination with the Asian iPhone launch in mid-08').

If Apple releases only a 3G model for Europe (with a US 3G model to follow shortly), at a very competitive price? GREAT for Europe, but howls of protest from America. All the US customers who rushed in to buy 2.5G iPhones after the price drop become a "second wave of suckers", and will be super-pissed at Apple, judging from recent events.

Only real way out seems to be to offer 2.5G iPhones at a really good price point, and while that model is still selling, also bring out 3G iPhones at a (quite a LOT) higher price point.

Europe gets what they want, and US 2.5G iPhone customers no longer have a legit complaint- as in, "Hey, you got your iPhone for 400 bucks... you INTENTIONALLY WAITED UNTIL THE PRICE DROP before you picked one up! So now you're crying that you really wanted the 600 buck 16 gig 3G model?!? Get real!".

Hoo boy. This is gonna get real interesting, real soon.

• Reply 36 of 79
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Hoo boy. This is gonna get real interesting, real soon.

Well Apple can hold off a bit the release of 3G maybe until December or at MWSF and they can always say that AT&T finally improved their 3G network and blah, blah, blah and here is the iPhone 3G for the USA. The "second wave of suckers" like you said would not have too much leverage to complain.

Sure if Apple release 3G in the USA next week, then be prepared to hear all the whining all over again!
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Gee?thank's.\

You've hurt old man Mel's feelings!
  • Reply 38 of 79
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Surely Apple would have to get "CE" approval before announcing the iPhone. What if it's not approved for use in Europe.

I would assume that approval, or pending approval, would have leaked to the press.

CE approval is not like how it works in the US. You can self-certify your own products.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Hve we forgottten that there was a ban on Qualcomm chip in hte US. Could have played into the severe price drop. Perhaps Apple plans to release 3G phones for N. American and EU at the same time after all... though I doubt it will be Tuesday.

BTW, There has been a partial unbanning of the Qualcomm 3G chips for some some companies in the US, this includes AT&T. The issue is far from resolved but this could mean 3G iPhons comng in vi AT&T channels.

Perhaps this is a good sign.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Quote:

If I buy a 3G iPhone in the UK on the 18th will it work with 3G carrier AT&T or T-Mobile in the US? Id est, do the 3G bands differ across the pond?

AT&T & Rogers: 850/1900 MHz

T-Mobile 1700/2100 MHz (not compatible with normal 2100 MHz)

Telstra (Australia) 850/2100 MHz.

Everybody else: 2100 MHz.

Quote:

I guess what I'm asking are there 3G chips that will cover all N. American and EU frequencies. I think this would be in Apple's best interest.

Most 3G phones use either a 2100MHz chipset or a 850/1900MHz chipset. Note that that leaves both T-Mobile and Telstra somewhat out in the cold, although tri-band chips will bring Telstra back in.

Speaking of tri-band chips they do exist, but in size and power consumption are not yet ready for prime time.

Hence any current 3G iPhone would require at least two models: one for Europe, one for North America (and likely one for Japan, given market requirements, although they get Rev. B of the European 3G iPhone).

I stand by my thoughts that a European 3G iPhone in October and a North American 3G iPhone in late November (FCC approval lag) would be the best way to go in terms of long-term strategy.

Quote:

Hve we forgottten that there was a ban on Qualcomm chip in hte US. Could have played into the severe price drop.

Apple recently signed a deal with InterDigital, who are most notably not Qualcomm.