Apple UK to host special (iPhone?) event next week

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

I stand by my thoughts that a European 3G iPhone in October and a North American 3G iPhone in late November (FCC approval lag) would be the best way to go in terms of long-term strategy.

Ditto!

16gig iPhone at the same time as well.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Well Apple can hold off a bit the release of 3G maybe until December or at MWSF and they can always say that AT&T finally improved their 3G network and blah, blah, blah and here is the iPhone 3G for the USA. The "second wave of suckers" like you said would not have too much leverage to complain.

I don't think Apple can wait that long.

The Euro launch is November, allegedly. If there's a 3G model in the Euro lineup at launch, then everyone in the US market sees that, and many will be waiting for an announcement regarding a US 3G iPhone before they buy. Sales slow lots, right in time for holiday season. Ugh.

So if there is going to be a 3G model in the Euro launch lineup, best thing Apple can do is to immediately spell out their US 3G plans, at the same time they announce or launch the Euro lineup. As in, "Yeah, we're gonna have a US 3G iPhone real soon. But it's gonna cost 600 bucks."

Then all the price-sensitive folks just shrug and buy the 2.5 model for $400 during the holidays, and those who must have 3G wait.

• Reply 43 of 79
    I think you all are reading into "mum" too much. All it means it that they are going to be unleashing an iPhone in Europe and you're all just going to have to be patient and not get your hopes up. We've been waiting how long for iChat? for 3rd party apps? And what did they give us? iTunes music store so Stevie can grab our lunch money on our way to work and oh ya! Ringtones! Another way for them to get more money! Guess what they DIDN'T do? They didn't give us what we asked for and a lot of you are annoyed. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't count your chickens. But if I had to guess then I'd say the recent price drop is making room for the 16 and 32GB iPhones by Christmas. If Apple tells Europe that they're getting iPhones then it'll still be a few months until they actually see them, which would make perfect timing for them to give us an updated one by Christmas.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Hence any current 3G iPhone would require at least two models: one for Europe, one for North America (and likely one for Japan, given market requirements, although they get Rev. B of the European 3G iPhone).

Apple recently signed a deal with InterDigital, who are most notably not Qualcomm.

Thanks form the info, Electric Monk. I travel quite often and it really irks me that I won't be able to switch to local nation SIMS to utilize 3G data rates.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

"Yeah, we're gonna have a US 3G iPhone real soon. But it's gonna cost 600 bucks."

Then all the price-sensitive folks just shrug and buy the 2.5 model for $400 during the holidays, and those who must have 3G wait.

It could be, but I think people will be pissed buy paying $200 more for something that should be on the iPhone in the first place. I think 60 days from the price drop the iPhone will be 3G and that's about it. People can whine as much as they want. Steve won't care this time.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

You've hurt old man Mel's feelings!

Nah! I only sulk for a few moments. I know he really loves me.

• Reply 47 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

It could be, but I think people will be pissed buy paying $200 more for something that should be on the iPhone in the first place.

Presumably the 3G chipsets Apple will use in the iPhone were not available in the first half of this year.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

...people will be pissed ... for something that should be on the iPhone in the first place.

There is no mandate as to waht should be on the iPhone (outside FCC regulations). If you don't want a 2.75G iPhone then don't buy one. There is no arm twisting involved.

A wise man once told me, "a product is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it."

If Apple offers a 3G version with 16GB NAND in the next few weeks/months for $600 than I will buy one. I have not complained about the $600 I paid for my 2.75G version with 8GB NAND. It was a conscience decision on my part of which I have absolutely no regrets.

I say bring on the new iPhones every month (it seems all the other manufacturers have new phone every month) so It can hit that 10M mark before MWSF '08 so I can see my stock soar.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is no mandate as to waht should be on the iPhone (outside FCC regulations). If you don't want a 2.75G iPhone then don't buy one. There is no arm twisting involved.

A wise man once told me, "a product is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it."

If Apple offers a 3G version with 16GB NAND in the next few weeks/months for $600 than I will buy one. I have not complained about the $600 I paid for my 2.75G version with 8GB NAND. It was a conscience decision on my part of which I have absolutely no regrets.

I say bring on the new iPhones every month (it seems all the other manufacturers have new phone every month) so It can hit that 10M mark before MWSF '08 so I can see my stock soar.

Right on!
  • Reply 50 of 79
    Quote:

I agree with you but most people whine for much less.

I would not mind to pay $600 for 16gig 3G as well.

I just want it very, very soon. My Verizon contract is expired and now that i know what the iPod touch is all about, I much rather have an iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    Mum's the word

Meaning

Keep quiet - say nothing.

Origin

Mum; not mother but 'mmmmm', the humming sound made with a closed mouth. Used by Shakespeare in Henry VI, Part 2:

"Seal up your lips and give no words but mum."

So "Mum is no longer the word" = Start Talking!
  • Reply 52 of 79
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

i doubt apple will introduce the Beatles before they have the chance to introduce George Harrison.

i'm suspecting that they wish to introduce the former Beatles members as individual artists -- John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and then George Harrison. they're each great performers on their own. i think when George Harrison is introduce, the Beatles will follow. that's assuming that a deal to carry Beatles on iTunes actually happened.

& Ringo's finest work too !! Thomas the Tank Engine on iTunes!! Now that's content!

McD
  • Reply 53 of 79
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    My money's on BBC shows. Microsoft always make announcements shortly before Apple deliver real products & services (to try to take the wind out of their sails/sales?) and the came up with something recently about BBC TV shows on Xbox live.

McD
  • Reply 54 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

My money's on BBC shows. Microsoft always make announcements shortly before Apple deliver real products & services (to try to take the wind out of their sails/sales?) and the came up with something recently about BBC TV shows on Xbox live.

McD

I, too, agree it is about iTunes content. It currently have no choice but to get my Top Gear, Fifth Gear (but only because I like cars, I hate the entire cast), Dr. Who, & Extras from less reputable sources. Plus. this would offer me an opportunity to experience to see new right-pondian shows from the BBC.

They can't do a "press only event" if they expect people to start camping outside their stores.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    Please just give us a 16GB iPhone in america for crying out loud! I don't care about 3G. There is none in my area anyway.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Please just give us a 16GB iPhone in america for crying out loud! I don't care about 3G. There is none in my area anyway.

If they gave you a 16GB version you'd be bellyaching for a 32GB version. Name one other phone that comes with (or has the capacity to install) 8GB NAND?
  • Reply 57 of 79
    Interesting. It must be iphone related.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    Quote:

If they gave you a 16GB version you'd be bellyaching for a 32GB version. Name one other phone that comes with (or has the capacity to install) 8GB NAND?

Nokia N95, N91 and N81 all have 8GB models now. Somewhat controversially the N95 8GB dropped the SDHC slot. The old version had an SDHC card slot so you could stick 8GB SDHC cards in although I'm not sure anyone does an 8GB SDHC yet but I'm sure they aren't far away. You can carry a multitude of 4GB cards though.

Sony Ericsson's 8GB W960i walkman phone (with 3.2mp camera, touch screen, 3G HSDPA (no EDGE!) is due this month). That'll take 8GB Microstick cards too - total 16GB.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Nokia N95, N91 and N81 all have 8GB models now. Somewhat controversially the N95 8GB dropped the SDHC slot. The old version had an SDHC card slot so you could stick 8GB SDHC cards in although I'm not sure anyone does an 8GB SDHC yet but I'm sure they aren't far away. You can carry a multitude of 4GB cards though.

Sony Ericsson's 8GB W960i walkman phone (with 3.2mp camera, touch screen, 3G HSDPA (no EDGE!) is due this month). That'll take 8GB Microstick cards too - total 16GB.

I'm guessing these cost a fair bit more than the iPhone too.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    Quote:

I'm guessing these cost a fair bit more than the iPhone too.

Most expensive would be the N95 8GB which is just under 600 Euro unlocked with no contract. But you can get them for FREE with most 18 month contracts of a reasonable size.

N81 8GB is about 400 Euro unlocked with no contract.

For comparison the iPod Touch is 299(8GB) or 399(16GB) Euro.