Apple's London store plans extended hours following event; more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple plans to extend business hours at its London-based flagship retail store following Tuesday's press conference. Meanwhile, Best Buy is being stocked with the new iPod touch this weekend, NewsCorp. has a change of tone, talks are underway to bring the iPhone to Spain, and Apple has updated its iPhone credit terms.

Extended London Store Hours

Apple has called a press conference at its London-based flagship shop on Regent Street for next Tuesday. As a result, the store will not open to the public until 4:00 p.m. that day.

Employees of the store, however, have been asked to arrive at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday for a 90 minute briefing. They say Apple plans to extend the store hours till 10:00 p.m. that day and that employees will be asked to remain on site until 11:00 p.m.

Additionally, Apple at around 10:00 p.m. last night is said to have begun some modifications to the store's theater area. No further details were available. It's widely expected that the Cupertino-based company will use the press conference to divulge plans for its iPhone launch in Europe.

Best Buy gets Touch'd

Meanwhile, several Best Buy stores -- Apple's new best friend in the retail business -- began receiving their first shipments of Apple's new iPod touch player on Friday. A source at the retailer tells AppleInsider that all locations should have both the 8GB and 16GB models on sale over the weekend, or no later than Monday.

A change of tone for NewsCorp.

Over at NewsCorp., executives appear have tweaked their tone regarding iTunes video licensing talks with the iPod maker. President and chief operating officer Peter Chernin, who on Tuesday said his firm enjoyed a "perfectly good relationship with Apple," later told Reuters that the two companies have a "pretty limited relationship."

"[W]e'll see how it goes," he said. "I assume it will be prickly and dicey and contentious like all negotiations are and like all negotiations should be."

The change in tone may spell trouble ahead for Apple, which, amid growing opposition from content providers, has failed to advance its iTunes video download service with any significant improvements since last fall. NBC Universal's recent decision not to renew its video licensing agreement with the electronics maker may have been the first sign of backwards progress.

Those sentiments were outlined in recent piece over at Forbes titled "the iFlop," where columnist Scott Woolley called out Apple chief executive Steve Jobs for his failure to follow through on promises to evolve Apple TV into the future of television.

iPhone in Spain

Meanwhile, Spanish telecommunications company Telefonica SA has acknowledged that it is in talks with Apple over the right to sell the iPhone in Spain. On Wednesday, Spanish news agency Efe quoted Telefonica's Chairman, Cesar Alierta, on the matter, adding that Apple is sealing exclusive contracts to sell iPhone with only one operator in each country

$100 iPhone credit good for iTunes gift cards

Finally, Bloomberg reports that Apple incorrectly stated Friday that its $100 iPhone credit couldn't be used towards the purchase of iTunes gift cards and has since updated its terms. While it remains true that users can't add the credit directly to their existing iTunes accounts, they can use it to purchase new gift cards, the publication said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    While I am among the most vocal to berate the AppleTV, the comment by Scott Woolley at Forbes is incorrect. Apple has not promised to make AppleTV the 'future of television', it is a "hobby" according to Steve Jobs, and therefore not a serious project at Apple. I also think it's not a serious project until they assign it some serious goals and make it competitive and stand-alone product as a TiVo.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Sigh...

The 5 NBC shows I wanna watch this fall (in order to must-see):

1. Heroes

2. Bionic Woman

3. Life

4. Chuck

5. Journeyman

Guess they won't be on iTunes Store. Chances are, BSG: Razor and BSG 4 will not be on too. How?

The other two returning FOX shows I'm falling is Bones and Prison Break. Not following any new ones. Should be available on iTunes Store. But if FOX decides to divorce Apple, I'm going to lose out on 24 and The Shield next year.

No CBS shows I'm following are on iTunes store now. Nothing to watch on ABC. Only Supernatural on The CW.

Most of my fave shows are on FOX and NBCU. If they pull, my Apple TV will be pretty useless.

Hope that I don't bang on the wrong venue for content. Apple needs to attract or hold the networks and studios. Not the other round. Sigh...
  • Reply 3 of 52
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Extended hours? Are they actually going to be selling the iPhone right after the press conference? Nah, they must just be selling iPods.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    I'm a bit surprised that the media is so quick to jump on Apple, if not terribly surprised at friction from the networks. I've yet to be convinced that any electronic delivery method is making serious progress in the TV/Movie world, legally anyway; and as such I suspect Apple will have to weather some rockiness as the networks try to pursue other avenues. If they fail, they'll have to go to Apple, if not, then Apple will suffer a fair blow re delivery and possibly for its hardware sales as well.

I don't believe, however, that the networks will succeed with delivery, as the very aspects of business that would most help them succeed also seem to be the very aspects they wish to avoid. In short, they want customers without actually giving those customers even a portion of what they want.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    think secret reports that iPhones wont be shipping in the UK until November, groan....and even later in the rest of Europe. So i guess the apple employes will be staying up late to answer a flood of new iPod/iPhone questions and i imagine they will probably install a few of those human sized iPhone display screens......on a different note, i think it's worth mentioning that regent street is still the BIGGEST APPLE STORE IN THE WORLD BABY!
  • Reply 6 of 52
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    i wondering what the likely prices of the iphone are going to translate to in the UK ... plus what the price plans would be ...
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha View Post

i wondering what the likely prices of the iphone are going to translate to in the UK ... plus what the price plans would be ...

Probably about 50% more expensive on each part.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    The store closing and re-opening til 10 sounds as if the phone were going to go on sale but without an official announcement that too seems unlikely. Wonder if Apple will announce iPhone release tomorrow so that there is a real surprise ahead.

Seems odd to manage the store as Apple did in the US, just for an iPod release. makes even less sense. Something big and surprising is up---
  • Reply 9 of 52
    It is odd that they will be open till late! I find it hard to believe that they are keeping it open just to take enquiries about the iphone (does anyone know what they did in respect of this in the US? Did they stay open late after announcing it? I can't remember reading about that!).

I have a feeling that there is something big that will happen on Tuesday - mind you that is probably me just hoping that they will put the iphone on sale that day... stranger things have happened!
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, Bloomberg reports that Apple incorrectly stated Friday that its $100 iPhone credit couldn't be used towards the purchase of iTunes gift cards and has since updated its terms. While it remains true that users can't add the credit directly to their existing iTunes accounts, they can use it to purchase new gift cards, the publication said.

Weird. Can anyone figure out why we have to jump through this silly hoop.

My guess: It must be, again, some accounting-policy-related nonsense (remember the $2 for 802.11N, on a $2000+ computer?).

One more guess (but that would be really chintzy on Apple's part, if true): Gift cards don't get used up as much as store credits.....
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Weird. Can anyone figure out why we have to jump through this silly hoop.

My guess: It must be, again, some accounting-policy-related nonsense (remember the $2 for 802.11N, on a $2000+ computer?).

One more guess (but that would be really chintzy on Apple's part, if true): Gift cards don't get used up as much as store credits.....

Probably just because itunes store only accepts gift cards or credit cards for purchasing. There must not be a covenient (or financially feasable) way ti attach the $$ to an account without a human getting involved.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    It is an obvious launch of iphone 3g 16 gig . They don't want lines and the bs they got on launch in US. They will have a good supply of iphones and touch ipods in all the european stores will sell them wednesday or before. That gives them 10 days or more to get the numbers up for end of quarter. Watch them almost sell 2 million . Jobs said he wants to sell 10 million by end of 2008 but i suspect it's really by the end of 2007 . Under promise and over deliver,,.. remember ?
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Interesting about the extended Apple store hours. I really see no need unless some new hardware is going on sale.

I'm still believing that Apple now wants to sell as many 8GB iPhones as it can (before it announces its 16GB) to ensure the stock is handled effectively. This might be Apple's only change of plan - only since Apple saw that iPhones with more memory were far more popular (ie on release the 8GB were far more popular than 4GB)

So maybe Apple did plan November for the 8GB and a 16GB .... but they've had a change. Maybe they just think the earlier the better... if their UK network is ready for them why not sell sooner?
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Probably just because itunes store only accepts gift cards or credit cards for purchasing. There must not be a covenient (or financially feasable) way ti attach the $$ to an account without a human getting involved.

You'd assume a company such as Apple has software skills to deal with something basic like that.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    With all the fuss over NBC and News Corp I think Apple should show some love to the video amateurs who are willing to produce better and better content using Apple computers.

They should allow the Apple TV to connect directly to the web and use iTunes to access the content. Even better would be to have a mac.com browser so family and friends could share their content produced on their home Macs.

The iPod market does not come from downloads since there are only 5 downloads for each iPod, rather it comes from users ripping there own library of CDs or storing their own content. Apple should learn from this and allow users to build up their own content and not rely on big studio downloads.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valanchan View Post

With all the fuss over NBC and News Corp I think Apple should show some love to the video amateurs who are willing to produce better and better content using Apple computers.

They should allow the Apple TV to connect directly to the web and use iTunes to access the content. Even better would be to have a mac.com browser so family and friends could share their content produced on their home Macs.

The iPod market does not come from downloads since there are only 5 downloads for each iPod, rather it comes from users ripping there own library of CDs or storing their own content. Apple should learn from this and allow users to build up their own content and not rely on big studio downloads.

Interesting thoughts. I agree with you that Apple could do more with independents and smaller firms. Also, they should allow for a place/forum/setting/whatever to which musicians who are sick of their labels can defect.

But I think they see themselves as being in the "big leagues."

While that's understandable, I wish they would start something like an "entrepreneur and innovator" division to their iTunes business.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

Those sentiments were outlined in recent piece over at Forbes titled "the iFlop," where columnist Scott Woolley called out Apple chief executive Steve Jobs for his failure to follow through on promises to evolve Apple TV into the future of television.

Yeah... it's been out how long now? I would say they still have time to fill that "FUTURE" promise

Anybody think they are going to release the Beatles album on iTunes in London?
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Yeah... it's been out how long now? I would say they still have time to fill that "FUTURE" promise

Quite! There's plenty of time yet for the negotiations to reveal further twists and turns.

And he seemed to be telling Jobs to just accept all the TV companies want such as another outfit that are selling shows/movies at $20 a go! Just whose side is Forbes on? Clearly not the consumer. Woolley by name, woolly in thinking!

And Woolley was also trying to claim Apple had been 'pious' and so on about it's news release about NBC wanting to charge over double the price for shows. Yet Apple's approach on this was a master stroke of PR that has left NBC looking greedy and Apple the defender of the consumer. His analysis is terrible.

Anyone might start to wonder who pays this Woolley bloke!
  • Reply 19 of 52
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Anybody think they are going to release the Beatles album on iTunes in London?

It has to be coming soon?

As for NBC and all that bullshit.

Apple, just put the shows up, at the price(s) that these folks want, and let us deal with it.

I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the price thay want to sell the shows g=for, but MORE the price they want to pay Apple for selling them.

Now they MAY try to offer them themselfs, but with Gi-zillions of iPods out there, and a TON more selling each day, how are they going to sell them, and to whom.

Sometime folks forget that we are a VERY mobile society and if we can't watch what we want, when we want, and on what we want (ipod's) - then we WILL figure out another way.

Hell, I'm sure all those folks who have ad's on these shows will chime in, real soon.

IMO,

Skip
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Just check Amazon Unbox, subscription price per episode is 1.89, otherwise it's 1.99 for most of the latest NBC shows. Kind of a slap on Apple's face.

Sadly, Apple resorted to quite a number of spins and stunts.

Guess I bet on the wrong horse.

Well, maybe the networks and studios just don't wanna give iTunes Store the dominance over digital content distribution. Screw them too for making everything a mess and shut Mac users out.

Back to beetee.