Apple selects O2 as exclusive carrier for iPhone in UK

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 164
    I said something similar to this and got shouted down. I completely agree - I can't see this policy of Apple's passing British, let alone EU, scrutiny. At the evry least I would expect a user to be able to use the iPhone handset with any carrier at the end of the contract.
  • Reply 162 of 164
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by real_void View Post

Obviously, with the iPhone there is NO subsidy, hence any justification of a lock-in looks shaky.

As far as I can tell, the phone subsidy is in the iPhone, it's just done differently than before, so it's not as recognizable. We can say that the phone is not subsidized, but I really don't think that statement tells the story at all.
  • Reply 163 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's the new N95 8GB. That ad was for the older model that did not have wifi.

The older N95 has WiFi too. It just wasn't advertised in that advert.

btw. According to The Guardian, O2's 'unlimited' data plan is actually 200MB a month and the 'unlimited' Cloud Wifi access is 60 hours a month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ysection.apple
  • Reply 164 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As far as I can tell, the phone subsidy is in the iPhone, it's just done differently than before, so it's not as recognizable. We can say that the phone is not subsidized, but I really don't think that statement tells the story at all.

This sounds a little nonsensical, but even if it were true, then that is exactly what the third paragraph of the EU guidance that I quoted guards against.