Next-gen MacBook Pro "Penryn" chips revealed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    It certainly looks like we can expect an updated MacBook Pro at MWSF, at least an introduction of it even if it takes a few weeks for them to ramp up production with the freshly released Penryn chips.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the increasingly reliable DigiTimes...

Heh.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    I'd like to see a 12-13" macbook pro with this babies inside..

• Reply 24 of 50
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Hmmmm is if they put the T9300 2.5GHz Penryn chip in the current 2.2ghz MBP slot, maybe I'll sell my Core Duo 2ghz MBP and get that, hopefully that'll also come with another gpu change.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

I think the MacBook market is marketed towards people who are more concerned with price than performance. If performance were the priority, surely the money to spend would be less of a priority?

So that makes me thing Apple would use the less-costly 65nm chip in the next MacBook refresh.

-=|Mgkwho

That'd make sense if the macbooks were priced more fairly but at their current prices they're close enough that they might as well use the same chip size. If they used cheaper, bigger chips and still only were like 400-500 less than the mbp they'd barely be worth it. If they used the bigger chips and dropped every macbook price by like 200 bucks then it'd make sense for the consumer.

Of course no company is really doing for the consumer so whatever, but you know what I mean.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

looks like we might get new MBPs in January.

MBs won't see Penryn update.....me thinks it's going to be SR update to MB line on January.

Remember, it's not about how much it costs to buy chips to put in those books. it's about how to differentiate the market to be effective in both MB and MBP markets

Yeah except go the apple store online and look at the way they "market" the difference in architecture.

The people on this forum know better but everyone else only sees a .04 differnce in proc speed between the highest mb and the lowest mbp.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    It'll so dissapointing if Apple starts as a habit having the MacBook use previous generation tech and leave the current generation stuff for its Pro models... I mean... the difference in clock speed, screen size and graphics should be enough.

It'll be like... yeah... I'm getting the new but already outdated MacBook!!! Woohoo. Suck for non pro users.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I bought a MacBook Pro this year, I think I deserve a rebate since they are coming out with a new model so soon

zzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

It'll so dissapointing if Apple starts as a habit having the MacBook use previous generation tech and leave the current generation stuff for its Pro models.

Why? I actually like this idea and hope they lower the price of the MB. Look at the pcs laptops at your nearest office depot. They often have core duos, AMD turions or lower clocked core 2 duo chips.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Expectations for the next refresh to Apple's consumer-oriented 13-inch MacBook notebooks are less certain, however. Since the MacBook did not make the jump to Intel's Santa Rosa platform earlier this year, Apple effectively holds two options for progressing the portable line -- it could introduce a more cost-effective 65nm Merom-based line in the coming months or alternatively make the leap to the fresher 45nm Penryn-based chips early next year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

looks like we might get new MBPs in January.

MBs won't see Penryn update.....me thinks it's going to be SR update to MB line on January.

Remember, it's not about how much it costs to buy chips to put in those books. it's about how to differentiate the market to be effective in both MB and MBP markets

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

It will be interesting to see if this is the processor that Apple wants for an ultra lite notebook - probably in the Pro range.

As for the MacBook, it could go with the lowest 2 speeds in this range, leaving the speed and L2 difference as the differentiation between the MB & MBP. It would seem that this approach would keep the engineering at the same level, making it cheaper and easier to update both.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Presumably battery life would be better as well if Apple wen with Penryn in the MB vs. the SR meroms.

This looks crystal clear to me. Apple will use the T8300 and T8100 for the MB rather than Meroms due to power consumption issues. The 3MB cache and lower clock speeds will be perfect for market differentiation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zenga View Post

I'd like to see a 12-13" macbook pro with this babies inside..

Too big! 10 or 11 inches would be ideal.

I'd say it's a safe bet these will be announced at MWSF. It might take some weeks before they are shipping though, depending on availability of chips and other factors.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Will future Apple laptops allow people to remove the battery? Will users be required to sign up for an iTunes store account before they can use the laptop at all?

Good questions and well presented. The way Apple seems to be going ... probably.

---- ---- ----

I seriously hope Apple goes for the 2.5GHz and not the 2.6GHz. For 100MHz I'll keep the $200. Alternatively $200 buys a fair amount of flash memory which wil certainly do more for machine speed than that 100MHz.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Any chance of a MacBook or Mac Mini update before January, say in Oct/Nov?

I'm in the market for one or both but have to buy by mid Nov.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    bah double post.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

What happened to the subnotebook they were supposedly working on?

• Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:

Why? I actually like this idea and hope they lower the price of the MB. Look at the pcs laptops at your nearest office depot. They often have core duos, AMD turions or lower clocked core 2 duo chips.

because of the price, nowadays intel releases the new CPUs cheaper or same price as the old model (to move the market to latest and greatest_ ...

unless apple uses Celeron CPUs it is better to use the current CPUs (at least apple will get bigger discount by using the same CPUs for MB, MBP and iMac and oh yeah mac mini)...

my guess apple have better deal with intel than the the prices listed here OR different discount strategy

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...e_list9_07.pdf
  • Reply 35 of 50
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

If we were still using IBM or Moto chips, we would have had to wait two or three years for that .5 GHz jolt. Thank goodness for Intel inside.

Exactly. To the earlier poster worried about getting something that would be obsolete in 3 months, I think this is an excellent point. Back in the PowerPC era, we went a long time between processor speed bumps. So buying a laptop right before a major revision really hurt. Now, though, Intel is churning our revisions so fast, the issue of waiting--though still real--is at least markedly diminished.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamthecarny View Post

Wasn't the MacMini just updated? I wouldn't say no chance for another MacMini update this year. There is a chance for a MacBook update this year, but it would seem to be a less than 50% chance.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:

Cause if I was to buy a MacBook it would be because I don't need the big screen and/or graphics capabilities, but that doesn't mean I also want an previous generation CPU and chipset. The newer 45nm chip would help the MacBook in terms of overall speed, it would run cooler and it would provide longer battery life... even better graphics with the Santa Rosa architecture... but no, they choose to cripple it with older HW.

Like someone already mentioned... they do it because they can get away with it... all non tech people see is 2.16ghz vs 2.20ghz, but wow such huge price difference... when there is actually a lot more than that.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

I'm just annoyed cause I need a new laptop, but I don't want to be outdated in 3 months *sigh*

I'm in the same boat, and I am thinking of getting a Refurb from the apple site. The current Macbook Black is on sale there with full warranty etc for $200+ CDN off, I think it was like at 15% savings give or take. To me that is a great deal as you have a machine that rocks, full warranty, discounted price to help ease the pain of a new machine coming out a few months later. I am going to wait until Leopard ships to see if they upgrade the OS in B-Stocks as well..

To me it's a no brainer to go with these when it is 1/2 way or more to a refresh (MacRumors has a good calender and refresh history to help figure that part out). Apple seems to have new batches of Refurb's every couple of weeks or so too, so if you really want to save, wait for a older model to come and save even more.. If memory serves they have had sub $1000 macbooks (CDN $)...

Anyone ever bought a refurb Mac? Feeback on it?
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamthecarny View Post

I would expect a MacBook update in November for these reasons:

1) Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, to be released in late October, early November 2007;

2) Apple is in the habit of updating its consumer, family computers just before the Christmas shopping period, leaving a month or 2 months before Christmas to shop for them.

I expect the MacBook and the iMac to be refreshed with the launch of Mac OS X Leopard, a full 3 months before the February 2008 availability of Penryn CPU Core 2 Duo iMacs.

• Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

That'd make sense if the macbooks were priced more fairly but at their current prices they're close enough that they might as well use the same chip size. If they used cheaper, bigger chips and still only were like 400-500 less than the mbp they'd barely be worth it. If they used the bigger chips and dropped every macbook price by like 200 bucks then it'd make sense for the consumer.

Of course no company is really doing for the consumer so whatever, but you know what I mean.

Yeah except go the apple store online and look at the way they "market" the difference in architecture.

The people on this forum know better but everyone else only sees a .04 differnce in proc speed between the highest mb and the lowest mbp.

As it mentions in the full spex for MB:

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4MB shared L2 cache running at full processor speed

And for MBP

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speedr MBP:

So what does this mean towards the difference of this .04 processing power?