Apple drops new Leopard build, may be release candidate

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I normally wait for 10.x.2, but I'll probably jump on 10.5.1 because I've been waiting for Resolution Independence since before OpenStep.

Hmmm. All references to resolution independence seem to have been removed from Apple's Leopard website pages. Does this mean it has been dropped after all?
  • Reply 42 of 84
    ^^^^

I thought RI and ZFS didn't make the cut.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple what game are you playing here, kill all Aqua already! Jeeze.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Dodgeball! I wondered where that clip came from.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    Leopard is in fact quite stable and it looks like it's "good to go". Some people however might have to do a "clean install" to eliminate some bugs. MS Office for the Mac also does some funky things in Leopard. It will make October I think but get ready for lots of updates.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

All references to resolution independence seem to have been removed from Apple's Leopard website pages. Does this mean it has been dropped after all?

That would be very disappointing. Independence Resolution and Time Machine were the only features I was looking forward to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post

MS Office for the Mac also does some funky things in Leopard.

Why would anyone want to use MS Office for the Mac? NeoOffice is much better in my experience.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    Neo Office may in face be better for a lot of people but people who have PC's at work and Mac's at home I think rely on Office for the Mac
  • Reply 48 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

^^^^

I thought RI and ZFS didn't make the cut.

ZFS is in, but not default. RI has not been recently commented on.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Actually we're both wrong, SOME G4's aren't supported.

* Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor

* DVD drive

* Built-in FireWire

* At least 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)

* A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

* At least 7 GB of disk space available, or 12 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools

So the eMacs, some early iMacs, and some of the g4 towers won't be supported... according to the current requirements on these seeds.

Let's make it clear. You can't get a "support contract" with anything less than those specs.

The OS will run fine on G4 machines and above.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    Are we going to see a new PowerMac to go with the release of Leopard? Isn?t there always a new Mac that comes out with a new OS be it laptop or desktop?
  • Reply 51 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm View Post

Are we going to see a new PowerMac to go with the release of Leopard? Isn?t there always a new Mac that comes out with a new OS be it laptop or desktop?

PowerMac? Be nice if there would be a new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

PowerMac? Be nice if there would be a new Mac Pro.

Of course that's what I meant. According to Macrumors.com the current MacPro is approaching the end of its life cycle. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

I am ready for a new tower.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm View Post

Of course that's what I meant. According to Macrumors.com the current MacPro is approaching the end of its life cycle. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

I am ready for a new tower.

It would be nice, seeing as Apple won't creat a mid-tower, if Apple would use smaller disks like the 2.5" SAS disks. Then they could slim down the MacPro enclosure without sacrificing power. It would be nice, but I'm dreaming right?
  • Reply 54 of 84
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It would be nice, seeing as Apple won't creat a mid-tower, if Apple would use smaller disks like the 2.5" SAS disks. Then they could slim down the MacPro enclosure without sacrificing power. It would be nice, but I'm dreaming right?

I think it's dreaming because the hard drives aren't a major factor that determine the size of the machine. Something else would have to change too. Not only that, you lose about 80% of your data capacity doing that, costing the same, and for what, louder hard drives?
  • Reply 55 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Could that possibly mean that the door is open for potential unanounced features, like major UI change or the like? Or are we going to get what we see now?

We get what we see. If there is an internal release, it's only to test bug fixes before they send it out to the developers to test. Sometimes they try out a new feature to see if it works before sending it out to the developers. It amounts to the same thing.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Actually we're both wrong, SOME G4's aren't supported.

* Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor

* DVD drive

* Built-in FireWire

* At least 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)

* A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

* At least 7 GB of disk space available, or 12 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools

So the eMacs, some early iMacs, and some of the g4 towers won't be supported... according to the current requirements on these seeds.

Some of that isn't true. They just say that for liability purposes.

The part about the Apple supplied video card is one of those.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The reason for Safari on Windows is not just to familiarize microsofties with Apple software or to provide Apple fans who are forced to do windows with a familiar browser, but to help ensure that sites are developed with Safari compatibility.

There's a bit of an argument about that one.

Some opinions are that Apple is trying to familiarize Windows users with Apple's software, more than with just iTunes, in the hope that they will like it, thusly, encouraging them to switch.

Apple put themselves in a bind, though, because Windows users are used to having all four side of a window to work with, while Apple is stingy in that regard.

Apple is also using Webkit to encourage developers to do web sites in a more standard fashion.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Not time yet for those small, slow things. Maybe in another year, or two. They would have to go to 10,000 rpm to give equal access times, and transference speeds.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

Hmmm. All references to resolution independence seem to have been removed from Apple's Leopard website pages. Does this mean it has been dropped after all?

This better not be the case. Anyone else have reason to believe that they have dropped RI. (is it still in the newest beta?)
  • Reply 60 of 84
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kzelk4 View Post

This better not be the case. Anyone else have reason to believe that they have dropped RI. (is it still in the newest beta?)

It is indeed the case. They hope to bring it in around x.2 or x.3