Apple says iPhone unlocking may cause permanent damage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillers View Post

This sounds bogus to me.

Unless the "Restore" option doesn't actually restore to the original factory specifications, then you should always be able to restore to the non-hacked version of the iPhone software and then update.

Can't wait for the next update to come out though!

It may sound bogus to you, but it certainly is possible.

Some of the unlocking methods use firmware modifications to work. If you know anything about firmware, then you know that if it is updated, and what it is updating isn't correct, the update might go south.

Remember, they said that "many" of the unlocking methods might have this problem. They didn't say "all".
  • Reply 22 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

I bet some of this is due to the firmware updates that some of these hacks use. I don't think these are reversed when you restore the software on the iPhone...

That's correct.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I am shocked at the naivety of some members here. You all seem to be forgetting that iPhone is available only in one country at present - there are billions of people who live outside of its sales area. Here, Apple will actually gain money by selling phones to people who cannot legally sign a contract with AT&T because they are not US residents.

Seriously, this is a mess. Quite why this device wasn't just sold SIM free is beyond me.

It was sold that way for two very good, and, I must say, obvious reasons.

If Apple sold the phone SIM-free, then no company would be interested in modifying their network to have Visual Voicemail, which is a big selling point for the phone.

Apple would also not be able to get revenue sharing.

These are two very good reasons why Apple is doing what they are.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

People deserve the freedom of choice, which is precisely why the DMCA legalizes the unlocking of phones.

Umm, the DMCA doesn't legalize phone unlocking. The Library of Congress exemption just says that the DMCA doesn't apply to those who do.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post

Why bother indeed sigining with a Telco that shares all your data with the intelligence community.

Because, even if you don't know it, no doubt, every telco around the world does this with their local government, even though you will likely never hear of it.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    $499 iPhone + $175 termination fee Vs. $800 unlocked iPhone. Am I missing something else? Oh and unlimited data is included on ATT's price plan. Would it be the same on T-mobile?
  • Reply 27 of 92
    I'm ashamed of Apple and a fair number of forum members for their attitudes!

Apple made a phone that can't roam in another country without generating a $500+ bill, with no calls made or recieved. This phone is a quad-band, international phone. A $500 bill for a two week vacation might not be the end of the world, but it is outrageous for such a device.

Likewise, every phone I am aware of being on the market for over 4 months has been unlocked. This is the first time I have ever heard of a manufacturer complaining. The manufacturers might make it harder on the next model in response, but you already bought what you paid for, and their interests are over.

With this attitude, Apple risks a serious class-action lawsuit. It's just silly.

As for the whole jailbreak/SDK issue, well... they should have seen that one coming when they suggested that applications could just be javascript over an active internet connection. I don't know how the hell they pulled that one off with a straight face! Some of the applications on the iPhone are a complete joke... the calculator comes to mind. Is a square root key that much to ask for? I hope Apple steps up to the plate soon, or they will quickly lose any "higher ground" arguments that they might have been able to play before.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I'm ashamed of Apple and a fair number of forum members for their attitudes!

Apple made a phone that can't roam in another country without generating a $500+ bill, with no calls made or recieved. This phone is a quad-band, international phone. A $500 bill for a two week vacation might not be the end of the world, but it is outrageous for such a device.

That's not Apple's fault. It's the fault of the carrier. You can just turn off the auto checking for the mail App.

Quote:

Likewise, every phone I am aware of being on the market for over 4 months has been unlocked. This is the first time I have ever heard of a manufacturer complaining. The manufacturers might make it harder on the next model in response, but you already bought what you paid for, and their interests are over.

With this attitude, Apple risks a serious class-action lawsuit. It's just silly.

I can't see a serious class action suit over this. Everyone who gets this phone understands how the contract works. They chose to buy it.

Quote:

As for the whole jailbreak/SDK issue, well... they should have seen that one coming when they suggested that applications could just be javascript over an active internet connection. I don't know how the hell they pulled that one off with a straight face! Some of the applications on the iPhone are a complete joke... the calculator comes to mind. Is a square root key that much to ask for? I hope Apple steps up to the plate soon, or they will quickly lose any "higher ground" arguments that they might have been able to play before.

Well, we'll see what happens.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    AAPL is doing the right thing for investors who are risking their capital on the iPhone's success.

I would like to see them follow up with lawsuits to bankrupt both the scofflaw providers of unlocks and the equally criminal element that seeks to use these hacks which deprive AAPL and T of revenues that rightly reward them for their time and skill.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not Apple's fault. It's the fault of the carrier. You can just turn off the auto checking for the mail App.

I can't see a serious class action suit over this. Everyone who gets this phone understands how the contract works. They chose to buy it.

Well, we'll see what happens.

Outrageous international roaming/data charges are an issue for globetrekers, agreed. Just curious, is it the same for owners of Blackberries, Q and Treo's. Any ATT blackberry owners that travel abroad?
  • Reply 31 of 92
    Bricking the phone might be possible if Apple has setup chips similar to those found in those cash cards that blow teeny tiny fuses each time you use money out of them. In other words, the fuse cannot be regenerated.

Imagine a part of the firmware that does a checksum and if it ain't what it should be, blows out the fuse.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

I would like to see them follow up with lawsuits to bankrupt both the scofflaw providers of unlocks and the equally criminal element that seeks to use these hacks which deprive AAPL and T of revenues that rightly reward them for their time and skill.

For the last time: phone unlocking is not illegal!

-Clive
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:

For the last time: phone unlocking is not illegal!

-Clive

It isn't the question of whether it is ok to unlock your own phone. It is a question as to whether it's lawful to supply software to others for that purpose.

That isn't settled yet.

It's similar to prohibition. It was legal to have, and to drink alcohol. It was illegal to make it for someone else, or to sell it.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Quote:

I have to say, I'm very surprised and even disappointed in forum-members' resistance to phone unlocking!

There are many reasons to unlock... say, for one, to avoid paying ridiculously high termination fees, to use out of country, to use without a data plan...

People deserve the freedom of choice, which is precisely why the DMCA legalizes the unlocking of phones.

-Clive

By the way, I do not own an iPhone, and I use AT&T, so no, I am not biased.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I am shocked at the naivety of some members here. You all seem to be forgetting that iPhone is available only in one country at present - there are billions of people who live outside of its sales area. Here, Apple will actually gain money by selling phones to people who cannot legally sign a contract with AT&T because they are not US residents.

Seriously, this is a mess. Quite why this device wasn't just sold SIM free is beyond me.

Jeez, you guys just don't get it!!! People deserve the freedom of choice?? WHAT???? You have to be kidding. In what universe are you living? We deserve to have any equipment we buy function as stated and to expect to have few problems with it. That's it. We all might WANT to have this or that service, but that is FAR from deserving it. Apple has an EULA which was agreed to by the customer and that means that software or any other modification of the phone voids the warranty. Bloody basic stuff, this.

Now, for the "foreigners." Apple would not have sold phones without a carrier. It seems that none of you has a clue about how much of a struggle Apple would have had with this phone.

It would have been black-balled. There would be no outlet for this phone except in Apple stores and carriers would have been threatened by other manufacturers to NOT carry the iPhone- or the carriers would have had to bend to the other manufacturers' demands to cripple it-- or something that would have been completely unacceptable to Apple and the customers who wanted a functionally incredible phone. Period!!! This sort of nonsense has been common in the cell-phone business. Apple clearly understood that.

So stop with the "Apple just shoulda sold it so any SIM card would work." It could NOT have happened.

It is likely that because the iPhone can be locked down that there are European carriers willing to take it on. Meanwhile, whingers, instead of grouching about it, don't even consider the iPhone any more. Don't look at one, buy one or anything else. You will feel much better...
  • Reply 35 of 92
    So does Apple's stance on modifying the iPhone imply that Volkswagen will not honor its warranty on my Golf because I removed the doors and replaced it with Lamborghini-style doors; that I remove the hood and replaced it with a eagle-emblazoned hood, ala a 76 Camaro; that I removed the engine and put in a 6.0-liter Dodge Hemi motor in its stead?

If so, why won't Volkswagen cover my modded car? Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaahhhhhhhhhha!!!! I want $200 back!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA! THEY UPDATED THE GOLF 2 YEARS AFTER I BOUGHT MINE, I WANT SOME COMPENSATION! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • Reply 36 of 92
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    well, i would suggest if you have installed installer.app, to do a restore today before the next update comes up....

i just restored mine. i already miss all the cool stuff (themes, applications)....oh well, next week perhaps.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

If so, why won't Volkswagen cover my modded car? Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaahhhhhhhhhha!!!! I want $200 back!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA! THEY UPDATED THE GOLF 2 YEARS AFTER I BOUGHT MINE, I WANT SOME COMPENSATION! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Why is it that the 'anti-whiner' whiners are the most annoying.

Did you put scissor doors on your iPhone? Install a Hemi? Tint the glass?
  • Reply 38 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

well, i would suggest if you have installed installer.app, to do a restore today before the next update comes up....

... or, if you enjoy the ability to run a much wider selection of software than Apple will ever produce for the iPhone, just don't run the update.

Oh wait, I know just how anxious everyone is to shop on iTunes via the WiFi connection.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Perhaps Apple and AT&T should reconsider their stance on this and allow iPhoners a second chance to come back into jail, rather than just ruthlessly abandoning them. Send out an email to all iPhone owners and make a statement or something. Is Apple once again going to let their own ego corrupt their own image?

I'll tell you one thing Apple, I'll be hacking my iPod touch when I get it, so don't try any moves on me. (I know the 'unlocking' term doesn't apply here, but whatever)
  • Reply 40 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Perhaps Apple and AT&T should reconsider their stance on this and allow iPhoners a second chance to come back into jail, rather than just ruthlessly abandoning them. Send out an email to all iPhone owners and make a statement or something. Is Apple once again going to let their own ego corrupt their own image?

I'll tell you one thing Apple, I'll be hacking my iPod touch when I get it, so don't try any moves on me. (I know the 'unlocking' term doesn't apply here, but whatever)

As I posted above the AP report indicated that this is the SIM unlocking ONLY, not the jailbreak, although it may make sense to restore before update to keep things cleaner.

If this implements the Touch restore mode then jailbreak looks to be a lot harder based on the reports I've read. Might be a while.