Apple says iPhone unlocking may cause permanent damage

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

... or, if you enjoy the ability to run a much wider selection of software than Apple will ever produce for the iPhone, just don't run the update.

Some people keep saying that. It's just not viable though. Apple will keep coming out with bug fixes (you do want those, right?), security updates (ditto), and more features, software, etc.

Quote:

Oh wait, I know just how anxious everyone is to shop on iTunes via the WiFi connection.

Ah!!! Apple did say that there was someone who didn't care about that! Congrats for coming out of the closet!
  • Reply 42 of 92
    I don't understand why anyone would install any 3rd party software or unlock their phone until Leopard comes out. The phone, as it is right now, is a wonderful piece of hardware and software. However, many of the features both present (calendar, notes) and unreleased (iChat, wireless bluetooth sync, iPhoto forwarding) are going to be heavily updated when Leopard appears. Who knows, there could be an entire firmware and software rewrite that adds and extends features to a whole new level. Apple stated that it is not going to realize the total profits of the phone until 2 years after sale so it can add and upgrade features over the life of the product.

When Leopard is released both the iPhone and AppleTV will be given new features that will only be realized when updated with Leopard installed technology both on themselves and in conjunction with a Leopard equipped Macintosh.

Wait it out another month or so, it will be worth it in the bigger picture of the Apple's long run plans.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

In fact, the only motivation I see is for Apple to maintain their contract with AT&T

That's quite the motivation. This isn't breaking your contract with your dad to mow the lawn. This is breaking a multi million (possibly billion over 5 years) dollar contract. That means consequences to pay if you don't hold your end of the deal. Exclusive means exclusive. It's not just gonna work out like

Apple : Hey remember that exclusive contract for all that dough

AT&T : yeah...

Apple : Well... we tried our best but people wanna use it outside your network

AT&T : oh....

Apple : yeah so I guess the peope have spoken our hands are tied.

AT&T : oh... alright, well it seemed like it was a good idea maybe next time.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

... or, if you enjoy the ability to run a much wider selection of software than Apple will ever produce for the iPhone, just don't run the update.

Oh wait, I know just how anxious everyone is to shop on iTunes via the WiFi connection.

yeah, i agree, the wider selection of software and themes is much better than the default, but I would say for this first major update its safer to make sure your phone is back to default and then let the hackers catch up.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    Three words: Bring it, Steve!

If the new firmware totally fubars the phone... unlockers won't load the new firmware.

Hell, Steve himself has said that true DRM is not possible... why should locking be any different?

This is all just bluster so they appear to be doing their due diligence for their end of the contract with AT&T.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harrywolf View Post

Agreed. This is a mess. Why cant Apple sell the iPhone unlocked NOW, in all the countries that dont have iphones for sale?

Err.... because most countries have an equivilant to the FCC which requires all communication devices to be approved ? Notice how fast the iTouch is getting released in all 22 ITMS countries ? The lack of a cell receiver helps.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by panamajack View Post

Err.... because most countries have an equivilant to the FCC which requires all communication devices to be approved ? Notice how fast the iTouch is getting released in all 22 ITMS countries ? The lack of a cell receiver helps.

I think the iTouch/iPhone comparison is more complex than that. There is still the WiFi that needs to clear regulatory hurdles. I think it's that Apple is trying to find carriers to pay them money, and there are carrier-side changes needed to support some of the iPhone features.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    Two questions:

1- When will we see class action lawsuits from iPhone owners who do not accept that Apple is denying their right of ownership over the iPhones they paid so dearly?

2- When will U.S. antitrust authorities open an investigation on the abuse of monopoly from Apple in denying the right to choose a cell phone service to iPhone owners?

iPhones are bought, not rented, and owners can choose any cell phone service provider they want.

By the way, willfull destruction of property, or willfull damage to iPhones by Apple, is an actionable wrong that can be prosecuted, especially with iPhone owners class action lawsuits for damages.

• Reply 49 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Perhaps Apple and AT&T should reconsider their stance on this and allow iPhoners a second chance to come back into jail, rather than just ruthlessly abandoning them. Send out an email to all iPhone owners and make a statement or something. Is Apple once again going to let their own ego corrupt their own image?

I'll tell you one thing Apple, I'll be hacking my iPod touch when I get it, so don't try any moves on me. (I know the 'unlocking' term doesn't apply here, but whatever)

There is no reason why any company should support people who use their products in an unintended manner.'

Why should Apple try to make updates to it's software around people who are breaking the iPhones software in the first place to get around certain restrictions?

You all are being ridiculous. If you want to unlock/hack your iPod that's fine, but don't expect Apple to condone it.
  • Reply 50 of 92
    the apple secret service is pulling all the stops! no service, phone blacklisted, maybe you will even be excommunicated for messing with your own phone. obviously att is coming down VERY HARD on apple, but hey, thats what you get for making deals with the devil. if steve would have been a little less greedy and just let all service providers sell the iphone he probably would have made more money with less headache.

so to all those who are now sim lock free, dont panik. nobody is bending you arm, forcing you to install the next iphone update, which will likely only feature the (needless) itunres download functionality.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    I predict that an upcoming iTunes update will require a certain firmware to be present on the iPhone, in order to sync the library, and those who choose to stick with 1.0.2 will also have to stick with their current 8 Gigs of music.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Outrageous international roaming/data charges are an issue for globetrekers, agreed. Just curious, is it the same for owners of Blackberries, Q and Treo's. Any ATT blackberry owners that travel abroad?

The Blackberry has an available international roaming plan whereby all data is free for an extra $10-20 per month. Not sure about the Treo.

BTW, just turning off mail didn't seem to work, and the bigger gripe on data was that when connected to a WiFi access point it would opt for Edge instead of the WiFi link.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It was sold that way for two very good, and, I must say, obvious reasons.

If Apple sold the phone SIM-free, then no company would be interested in modifying their network to have Visual Voicemail, which is a big selling point for the phone.

Apple would also not be able to get revenue sharing.

These are two very good reasons why Apple is doing what they are.

I wouldn't say these are "GOOD" reasons. As for the visual voicemail, who really gives a ****. People would MUCH rather have an Unlocked worldwide-capable phone. This is really a bunch of bull**** that Jobs locked out frequent travelers from swapping SIM cards.

And all for more $$$ from the cell companies. You guys are starting to ACT LIKE MICROSOFT!!

STEVE: THE WORLD IS GETTING SMALLER. HOW DID YOUR IPHONE WORK WHEN YOU WERE AT THE LAUNCH EVENTS IN THE UK, FRANCE, AND GERMANY? How were those extraordinary roaming charges? or didn't you have to pay? Well either way no one of use gets free phone service nor are we rich to pay the outlandish roaming charges.

I think the SIM lockdown was the worst product strategy decision Apple has made in YEARS!
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

Umm, the DMCA doesn't legalize phone unlocking. The Library of Congress exemption just says that the DMCA doesn't apply to those who do.

Therefore the DMCA, the most likely piece of legislation that would make it illegal does not. Therefore it is legal. Somewhat indirect, but still valid.
  • Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Two questions:

1- When will we see class action lawsuits from iPhone owners who do not accept that Apple is denying their right of ownership over the iPhones they paid so dearly?

2- When will U.S. antitrust authorities open an investigation on the abuse of monopoly from Apple in denying the right to choose a cell phone service to iPhone owners?

iPhones are bought, not rented, and owners can choose any cell phone service provider they want.

By the way, willfull destruction of property, or willfull damage to iPhones by Apple, is an actionable wrong that can be prosecuted, especially with iPhone owners class action lawsuits for damages.

i agree 100%, but dont count on the 'authorities' to do anything. i dont know if you have noticed, but over the last 10-15 years our elected officials (both democrats and republicans) have put the public interest and the good of the nation as a whole behind the interests of their respective party, their own power and glory and whichever lobby is greasing their palms the most. the congress approval rating which is around an all time low proves my point...
  • Reply 56 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjwill246 View Post

Jeez, you guys just don't get it!!!

....or the carriers would have had to bend to the other manufacturers' demands to cripple it-- or something that would have been completely unacceptable to Apple and the customers who wanted a functionally incredible phone.

The carriers do indeed cripple phone's features (only in AMERICAN where the government is too busy get a b***job by the telecom lobby than to actually protect consumers). BUT ONLY ON PHONES THEY THEMSELVES SELL IN THEIR STORES. You ever seen an "unlocked" phone sold at retail that was crippled? Are you crazy? Apple could have easily sold this unlocked without a SIM and there would be NOTHING THE CARRIERS COULD DO TO KEEP IT OFF THEIR NETWORK. NOTHING! A GSM radio is a GSM radio. The only thing missing would be visual voicemail, but I bet ALOT of people would rather have an unlocked phone than that.

So don't be so condescending towards others when your arguments don't hold water...
  • Reply 57 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Two questions:

I would love to see it happen and destroy the whole concept in the cell phone industry of locking people to service providers. This is already done in some countries in Europe. Others have strict cellphone unlocking laws. All this done in the name of consumer protection. Thats REAL consumer protection, not recalling faulty laundry detergent. Consumer protection FROM companies ILLEGAL business practices, not products themselves.

Imagine if computer vendors "locked" you to a certain Internet service provider. Just imagine if Apple locked their mac hardware to only connect to a special router that could *ONLY* be purchased from and work with the service of your regional cable internet provider?!? Would everyone just go along with it???? because thats exactly what they are doing NOW!

If we had a real government, this bull**** wouldn't happen. These types of "you own your product, except for the EULA 'contract' " bullshit has got to go. Its GLARINGLY obvious to anyone that has taken an extensive look through the data that its legally questionable AT BEST.

Keep tossing the greedy ****, bought and paid for republicans in '08. We almost have enough of a democratic majority in the house and senate to get REAL things done. Just a small percentage more of seats. so close.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Quote:

I predict that an upcoming iTunes update will require a certain firmware to be present on the iPhone, in order to sync the library, and those who choose to stick with 1.0.2 will also have to stick with their current 8 Gigs of music.

yeah its called don't upgrade itunes. just like with the Fairplay cracker.... no different. always going to need to be watchful though. btw, not talking about myself I dont even have an iphone or use iTunes anymore.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erpx View Post

Awesome! Let all the bricks be thrown to the trash. Patience, people. till the time is right.

New stratagy for hackers: partner with green peace

Apple should, upon hack detection, set all firmware to a pre-modification state...make it like new, not brick it and doom it to an early and unnecessary trip to the landfill...

I dont like greenpeace, but I hate cell industry screw jobs even more.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

There is no reason why any company should support people who use their products in an unintended manner.'

Are you mad? If the company i work for sees a customer using our product in a way we havn't thought of, mentioned, or designed the product for, we dont take it away, we add it to the list of things that the next rev of that unit should be able to do out of the box!

It is as simple as this, people love the iphone for its interface, which is the best in the world, bar none, but third party apps are what make it usefull!

Apple is in a really odd spot, they are emencly popular for their last 6 or so years of rapid innovation, but they are becoming so controlling of all of their platforms that they are hurting the userbase, how much longer will the honeymoon last?

I am reminded of a great song from 38 Special, hold on loosly, but dont let go, if you hold too tightly, you're gonna lose control!