Up next for Apple: the return of the Newton

Comments

• Reply 181 of 313
    Thanks for that insight
  • Reply 182 of 313
    Remember when all business people had some version of the Franklin Planner (the PDAs made it obsolete) but was the perfect size for meetings plus the leather case had room for all the other stuff (busn cards, receipts, plane tickets, pens, ...) . About the Newton's useable surface is the size it needs to be to write/type with and read the screen. Not a little tiny screen of a PDA. This would easily be something you could carry with you to the job site, meetings, in a grocery store, mall... and still look business like. (You wouldn't walk around with a mini-laptop type device under your arm?) The PDAs of today still-quite-dont give you the free form of a planner but the other capabilities such as in the Blackberry and Palm pilots of today made up for it. The Newton gave you the free form of a planner even for its old technology of the day but got passed up by the Palms and Blackberry because it was cancelled. If you have seriously used a Newton, the PDAs of today still cant beat its user interface. With a Newton built on today's technology there would be nothing that could come close.
  • Reply 183 of 313
    Say we now have a PDA thing with OS 8.7

Apple retrofits their old OS 8.6 for a PDA, perhaps makes it more compatible with OS X (and make it more OSX like too), and a touch screen.

You have a large number of 3rd party softwares out there already, and these companies can now re-sell older obsolete software.

True, Apple would never do this. OS 8.6 looks so... 1990's, and wouldn't fit with the whole Leapord idea.

OS 8.6 did have its own set of bugs and such.

I don't know, I had a MacIIsi which had the same processor as today's current TI-89 calculator. Just goes to show, we can put those macs into a much more portable unit these days, and relive some of the old software and such, get a second coming of the stone age. I may be crazy, but its an idea.

(And yes, you can tell me there is BasliskII for these very needs... and personally, I want a decent 68k emulator for my PocketPC, or heck, lets put it on the iPhone too!)
  • Reply 184 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Say we now have a PDA thing with OS 8.7

Apple retrofits their old OS 8.6 for a PDA, perhaps makes it more compatible with OS X (and make it more OSX like too), and a touch screen.

You have a large number of 3rd party softwares out there already, and these companies can now re-sell older obsolete software.

True, Apple would never do this. OS 8.6 looks so... 1990's, and wouldn't fit with the whole Leapord idea.

OS 8.6 did have its own set of bugs and such.

I don't know, I had a MacIIsi which had the same processor as today's current TI-89 calculator. Just goes to show, we can put those macs into a much more portable unit these days, and relive some of the old software and such, get a second coming of the stone age. I may be crazy, but its an idea.

(And yes, you can tell me there is BasliskII for these very needs... and personally, I want a decent 68k emulator for my PocketPC, or heck, lets put it on the iPhone too!)

Why why why would you want to go back to OS 8.6 with it's lack of protected memory, entire lack of modern applications, the fact that there are viruses for it, etc etc.

No, slimmed down OS X is the future for mobile devices.
  • Reply 185 of 313
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

This is the dummest idea I've heard since the iPhone was announced.

Nobody needs a PDA anymore. That's what a smartphone is!

Increase the functionality of the iPhone. A PDA is like a computer without internet; WAY limited and boring.

PDAs have had internet capability for quite some time. My '04 Tapwave has a web browser and can browse using Internet over Bluetooth or WiFi. Seemingly any Palm OS device with an SDIO slot can accept a WiFi card, a lot of units offered WiFi built-in before my Tapwave was available too, both PalmOS and Windows Mobile/CE/whatever. Safari is generally better though.

But in a sense, you are right, smartphones are where that functionality is now, either PDAs grew to add phone capability or phones added PDA capability, the lines have blurred. PDAs really didn't die, they just morphed. It's kind of a continuum. It looks like Apple is trying to position iPhone outside of that continuum, but the harder I've heard it argued, the more contrived that positioning seems to be.
  • Reply 186 of 313
    The original 2100 was and is an instrument to behold. It recognized my handwriting and still does. It faxes from anywhere in the world, It sits on my desk and dials my desk phone. It uses works with spreadsheets and word type files. It finds any word or name in under 1/10th of a second. A New Newton that combines the Iphone that I have with all these features in a screen that is 60% larger that the iphone would work just fine and still fit in my shirt or coat pocket and would be extremely great as a business and personal tool. It still needs a bluetooth driver to print whatever we now find on the Iphone. The Iphone sorely needs a print feature through wifi or bluetooth. It doesn't make sense that it cannot talk to 802n device printers. Let us hope that a new ApplePad will come to fruition with larger Sys. 10 system. Apple still has the rights to all the functions and has the capability to use them.
  • Reply 187 of 313
    My dream computer form factor/concept has always (well, since the concept came to birth in early laptops and the duo) been what the OQO does elegantly (at least design wise) in its newest iteration: you bring your "core computer" with you and dock the thing with a dock housing DVD burner/monitor/keyboard/usb/whatever you might need at home/work etc... But I can't see that coming any time soon from Apple, sadly, and a system switch is not an option for me (not to forget the hefty price tag of said OQO system).

I wouldn't want a keyboard bolted on, though. I'd personally like to see that as a bluetooth option instead, but that's me. Well, one can always dream, no?
  • Reply 188 of 313
    Here's my first post.

This would be my dream mac for home/entertainment purposes. I want 20!
  • Reply 189 of 313
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Why would this device need a home button? People are obsessed with this home button business.
  • Reply 190 of 313
    I believe at this size of a device it cannot be concieved of as a PDA. I think of it in terms of a PDD- a personal digital device. With a large flash memory core and enough of a processor we may even get a reduced iLife on it. I don't see it as have any disk drives but with high speed USB and FireWire I could use it as a small portable that can be connected to my desktop for heavy processing. A replacement for the legal tablet wiith killer apps. No more laptops in the classroom or boardroom. With WiFi and ssh I can move files to and from my desktop.
  • Reply 191 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

This is why the iPhone and iPod touch is limited and Apple doesn't want you to put your own 3rd party apps on it. They have a PDA they want to push, and if some developer is writing apps that will do everything that this PDA offers it will equal low PDA sells. Just my .02.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, well I have no plans on buying a separate device as a PDA.

Since the iPhone is more than capible.

Apple is getting too greedy and turing into another microsoft.
  • Reply 192 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

Apple is getting too greedy and turing into another microsoft.

Let's see what Apple actually comes up with before jumping to conclusions.

Personally I think it will be more of a hand held computer rather than a PDA.

When Intel release the moorestown platform for mobile devices it's anticipated that the cpus in these will be nearly as powerful as cpus today. Throw in mobile OSX (the kind in th eiPhone) and the possibilities are intriguing.

I'll reserve judgement until the device hit the street. So far Apple's done pretty well IMO.
  • Reply 193 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Let's see what Apple actually comes up with before jumping to conclusions.

Personally I think it will be more of a hand held computer rather than a PDA.

When Intel release the moorestown platform for mobile devices it's anticipated that the cpus in these will be nearly as powerful as cpus today. Throw in mobile OSX (the kind in th eiPhone) and the possibilities are intriguing.

I'll reserve judgement until the device hit the street. So far Apple's done pretty well IMO.

I was in the Apple Store in Green Hills, TN today, and I played with the iTouch for the first time. The feel of it, the thinness of it, and the ease with which the GUI allows navigation in Safari and between various elements of the OS, to me, made it feel much more like a PDA than an iPod. The glass surface was beautiful and it was easy to imagine spending more than just the time it takes to find the next track or video on it. I was thorough impressed.

I reiterate: if iCal were de-hamstrung, the iTouch would be a dream PDA. I hope, therefore, the NewNewton maintains the same (or a similar) form factor and doesn't sacrifice portability. As it stands, the iTouch screen is a nice size and the size and weight of it makes it easy to carry on a daily basis.
  • Reply 194 of 313
    This attempt at something for everyone reminds me of automakers...a car for anyone's needs...seems to make sense...as long as they follow a business model like the Japanese/Germans & NOT Detroit!!
  • Reply 195 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rodneyA2 View Post

This attempt at something for everyone reminds me of automakers...a car for anyone's needs...seems to make sense...as long as they follow a business model like the Japanese/Germans & NOT Detroit!!

You're right, it does seem like that. I suppose with all the time and resources it took to write the OS for multitouch, it behooves Apple to stretch the impact as far as it will go. I, for one, will certainly slip into the niche market along with everyone else who's been waiting for an Apple-branded PDA. Call us what you will, but at least we'll all be smiling!
  • Reply 196 of 313
    I'm visiting the US at the moment and went in to an apple store to check out the itouch and iphone. I loved them! Still, I need a better reason than cool looks and multi-touch to switch from my old Clie TH55. My trusty Sony PDA has everything I need except a phone. Granted I only have a 1Gb stick on it, but thats enough for all the mp3s, games etc that I want to carry around.

I was hoping that the itouch (I can't use an iphone in my market yet) with its contacts and calendar apps could replace the Clie as a PDA, but It can't. One store assistant even told me that the itouchs' contact or calendar app (can't remember which one) does not even accept the adding of new items. Whats the use of having the app if you can't use it? Now if this new Newton can do it I'll be there to buy it, but it does look a bit too big. It would be nice to have a true PDA/ipod/iphone in an iphone form size.
  • Reply 197 of 313
    How about this baby docked in the middle of your dash? My dash would be in an Audi not a Benz, as their design aesthetic (and mine) is more inline with Apple's. Then again who would have paired them with AT&T? I guess all three share a similar delusion when it comes to recognizing the difference between quality and perceived quality.

Nevertheless, the possibilities are giving me wood. Full-on iTunes in the dash (including the visualizer). The ability to sync to a BT phone (preferably any BT phone) or a built-in wireless card for connection to Safari, Goolgemaps, Mail... iCal and GPS or Googlemaps could sync to get you to your appointments. While we're at it let's get some iPhone/Touch docks built into the headrests and have them all networked to sync and share media, iCal schedules for the kids etc... I think we get the picture.
  • Reply 198 of 313
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groovesmoothy

Nevertheless, the possibilities are giving me wood. Full-on iTunes in the dash (including the visualizer). The ability to sync to a BT phone (preferably any BT phone) or a built-in wireless card for connection to Safari, Goolgemaps, Mail... iCal and GPS or Googlemaps could sync to get you to your appointments. While we're at it let's get some iPhone/Touch docks built into the headrests and have them all networked to sync and share media, iCal schedules for the kids etc... I think we get the picture.

Yeah, and it syncs over-the-air via 802.11n when you pull up your driveway - dream on.
  • Reply 199 of 313
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

You've been here since 2003 and have 1 post?

A little shy, are we?

He's not going to respond until 2011.
  • Reply 200 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

He's not going to respond until 2011.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

that made me laugh out loud.

I'll wait for that day then.