Special Edition pink iPod shuffles turn up at Target stores (photos)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Big-box retailer Target this month began offering shoppers a special edition pink Apple iPod shuffle and iTunes gift card combo, sales of which help support the fight against breast cancer.

It's unclear whether the promotion is in association with Apple or simply a move by Target to help move some of its remaining inventory of second-genration iPod shuffles. Nevertheless, the bundle represents one heck of a deal for females (or anyone who knows a female).

For the same $79 that Apple charges for the diminutive clip-on digital players, Target is also throwing in a $15 iTunes gift card. In addition, the retailer is donating a portion of the proceeds of each sale to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation -- up to $25,000 in total.

In speaking to AppleInsider, a representative for Target said its stores began receiving the new combo offering about two weeks ago. Most stores should have a handful of units in stock, though it's unclear how long supplies will last.

Apple last month refreshed the iPod shuffle line with a new candy-colored hues, but otherwise made no changes to version of the player released during the same period a year ago. As part of the color palette change, however, it did away with the pink model in favor of its first-ever purple iPod.

Special Edition pink iPod shuffle available only at Target retail stores.

A portion of the proceeds of each sale are donated to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

The Special Edition pink iPod shuffle combo is only available at Target's brick-and-mortar retail stores, though the retailer is also selling the player separately for $69 through its online store while supplies last.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Maybe Steve will go the way of Bill Gates. The Steve and (his wife's name) foundation. This is great that they're doing this.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    What's next, yellow iPods for the troops? Talk about hopin' on the band wagon to score some extra cash.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krye View Post

What's next, yellow iPods for the troops? Talk about hopin' on the band wagon to score some extra cash.

Most likely they we're approached to sponsor the organization. Beast cancer walks are done all around the country and I see many people toting their iPods on those walks. So why not get a contribution out of the device too.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krye View Post

What an asinine thing to suggest, let alone say.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Are these the same shade of pink as the old shuffle? Can't tell from the photos what kind of shade they are. If they are the previous model pink shuffles then its a decent way of releasing stock and doing some good.

• Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

What an asinine thing to suggest, let alone say.

Ditto. An uncalled-for comment.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    markmark Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nevertheless, the bundle represents one heck of a deal for females (or anyone who knows a female).

Hey, I own a pink iPod shuffle. And the last time I checked, I was male. Do you know something I don't?

I think this is a good idea. You know, for all those selfish bastards who won't simply give to charities.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Sounds like a good thing all 'round. Apple looks charitable, Target gets an exclusive, the breast cancer research fund gets money. And anyone who likes pink gets a nifty shuffle.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    We can be pretty sure this isn't Apple doing it. They'd announce it if they were.

Also, at the bottom of this, I think it says "Apple is not a participant or [something] of this promotion".

I'd guess they've got some old Shuffles and recoloured them and are using this to get rid of the old stock. A good idea
  • Reply 10 of 21
    That's why I said "Apple looks charitable"...
  • Reply 11 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It does look pretty close to the old pink, the only problem is that the lighting conditions are pretty poor in the pictures that it's hard to say. They might have bought up a lot of stock of pink and repackaged it. It would be pretty odd to recolor it after the fact, that's not an easy thing to do, especially if Apple really isn't a participant. $25,000 donated really doesn't seem like a lot.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    The move is entirely a Target move, Apple has nothing to do with this, it even says so on the packaging. They took advantage of the new pink shuffles (yes same pink as any other pink one) and packaged it together with the other items.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

I'd guess they've got some old Shuffles and recoloured them and are using this to get rid of the old stock. A good idea

No, those are the new Pink ones, these are no different than any other Pink Shuffle. Not really a Special Edition iPod.

The whole thing is rather obvious that Apple isn't involved because they used a different Font than what Apple uses on its packaging.

Edit: Ooops I forgot they did away with the pink in this gerneration of shuffles, so yes, those are old models.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    What charity uses orange? Any?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

What charity uses orange? Any?

The "Buy Clive at Five a car that isn't crappy, old, and riddled with hail damage" charity.

Care to donate?

-Clive
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

We can be pretty sure this isn't Apple doing it. They'd announce it if they were.

Also, at the bottom of this, I think it says "Apple is not a participant or [something] of this promotion".

A good idea for Target, and apparently Apple agreed to let them run with it. Although, they must not have checked very hard for brand consistency. The word "Shuffle" is capitalized in Target's campaign, yet on Apple's iPod shuffle site, the "s" is lowercase.
  • Reply 17 of 21

The box is sooooo ugly. Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXAcwriid0

-Clive
  • Reply 18 of 21
    They had to put it in one of those unholy packages though didn't they
  • Reply 19 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    My wife bought one. For $79 you get a shuffle and a $15 iTunes card. That's like a $15 discount. Not too shabby.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    What's better than the iPod? I ready had one iPod, the pink colour iPod is nice but i don't like the colour. Properly will get it as a gift for my younger sister since she always claim to have one!