Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Downloading it now - shows as 152 MB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 166
    Wow, that's pretty cool. Will you report on the differences please?
  • Reply 2 of 166
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple Inc. on Thursday released iPhone software update version 1.1.1, which adds access to the Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store, the ability to increase the handset's speaker and earpiece volume, TV output, and several other features.

To download the 152MB update, iPhone owners need simply to connect their iPhones to their Mac or PC and click the "Check for update" option in iTunes.

One more warning:

"If you have modified your iPhone's software, applying this software update may result in your iPhone becoming permanently inoperable," Apple re-warned customers in the release notes accompanying the software download. "Making unauthorized modifications to the software on your iPhone violates the iPhone software license agreement, and the inability to use your iPhone due to unauthorized software modifications is not covered under your iPhone's warranty.

Version 1.1.1 of the iPhone software includes new features, bug fixes and supersedes all previous versions, the company added.

New features include:

iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store

Louder speakerphone and receiver volume

Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls

Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space

Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape

Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered

Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar

Support for TV Out

Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally

New Passcode lock time intervals

Adjustable alert volume

Security updates

In addition to the unspecified bug fixes and documented new features, Apple also said the software update includes 10 individual security modifications. According to a detailed list of security related changes posted to the company's support site, seven target the iPhone's mobile version of Safari, two its mobile Mail client, and one its Bluetooth implementation.

Apple has also updated its iPhone website with a video demonstrating the new features, including the Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store, Ringtones, and more.

Update not third-party app friendly

Much to their dismay, several users of the AppleInsider forums who had installed third-party "hacks" or applications on their iPhone -- but had not unlocked the device from AT&T's network -- report that the software update reverts their handset back to its original intended form.

Update may delete Notes, Favorites

In addition, at least one user has experienced an issue where following the update all of his Notes and Favorites had been erased.

Update:

AppleInsider reader Will lets us know that another cool feature added to the iPhone with the 1.1.1. update is the ability to play MP3 audio files attached to mail. We tried it and it sure does work.
  • Reply 3 of 166
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    TV out! A big deal-breaker has been removed for me.

I inch closer to an iPhone purchase...
  • Reply 4 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

TV out! A big deal-breaker has been removed for me.

I inch closer to an iPhone purchase...

Here is the complete list. Updating mine now.

? iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store

? Louder speakerphone and receiver volume

? Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls

? Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space

? Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape

? Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered

? Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar

? Support for TV Out

? Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally

? New Passcode lock time intervals

? Adjustable alert volume
  • Reply 5 of 166
    These sound like intelligent updates. Nice.
  • Reply 6 of 166
    Well, it put my iPhone into Recovery Mode. It is currently being erased and restored. Then it is supposed to try to update again. Guess my lunch break is going to run a lot longer than I anticipated. Hope all goes well the second time around.
  • Reply 7 of 166
    Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered

Sweet, I requested this in feedback. I imagine many other people did too in order for Apple to add it.

I had some other stock ticker program requests but those probably got passed over.
  • Reply 8 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Wow, that's pretty cool. Will you report on the differences please?

Took over 5 minutes to install.

FYI I had installed tons of 3rd party stuff (AppTap, etc) and then restored. I had NOT unlocked the SIM

In addition to the above.

1) Stopwatch bug NOT FIXED

2) VPN password bug (only offered number entry) FIXED

3) Mail settings offers access to port assignments in Advanced settings

4) No changes to SMS i can see (don't really use it)

5) No additions to actions on pictures taken (MMS)

That's it for now.
  • Reply 9 of 166
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    A few weeks ago I "hacked" my iPhone using the AppTap Installer... Earlier this week after reading about the possible issues with the upgrade to hacked phones, I decided to restore my iPhone back to its original state (supposedly removing the apps/hacks).

When I attempted to upgrade, I got an error and was forced to do another restore. This time however, I noticed the iPhone's firmware was also being restored. After it finished, it automatically upgraded to 1.1.1 without any problems.

Michael
  • Reply 10 of 166
    are there any experiences? Will it be possible or do I need to unlock the device again?

Thanks
  • Reply 11 of 166
    Couple of other things.

1) I lost my favorites list

2) I lost all my notes
  • Reply 12 of 166
    After downloading the update and attempting an install, it has now put the iPhone into restore mode, and keeps attempting to restore but locks up iTunes after about 5 minutes. Getting concerned!
  • Reply 13 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Couple of other things.

1) I lost my favorites list

2) I lost all my notes

Yeah, the last time I updated the software I lost all my notes, and was pretty ticked when I realized it had happened. For future reference, I highly recommend emailing your notes to yourself because they will be lost. All history as far as texts is lost as well. I have a icon/app hacked iphone and have to decide what the best way to go about updating is. I'll keep checking back for more feedback. I just don't want my phone rendered useless, and this update actually gives us some more functionality.

Now where the hell is MMS? Seriously Apple, it's can't be that hard. Just have the pictures be inline with the text messages, just like with iChat. Honestly, anytime you would like to add that 'feature', I'd be thrilled!
  • Reply 14 of 166
    Downloaded and installed with no problems. Some nice changes and way better speaker volume. Can't wait for the next update now
  • Reply 15 of 166
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I have an app tapped iphone. I am restoring and updating....

Will post as soon as I can after install.
  • Reply 16 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

After downloading the update and attempting an install, it has now put the iPhone into restore mode, and keeps attempting to restore but locks up iTunes after about 5 minutes. Getting concerned!

Getting the Unknown Error occurred (11333)! iTunes Store must be down???
  • Reply 17 of 166
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Was there ever any hacks done on your phone?
  • Reply 18 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Was there ever any hacks done on your phone?

Not one. Ever!
  • Reply 19 of 166
    Even without the iPhone connected, iTunes refuses to boot up properly. It hangs for 5 minutes and then repeatedly gives me the error 11333 message. When it finally does stop doing this, it does function as long as I don't click the iTunes Store button.
  • Reply 20 of 166
    i started downloading the update, and it got to "243 mb out of 154".

what does that mean?! hahaha

i restarted it and it is now downloading again.