New Mac Pro - Aluminium/Glass

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 41
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Wow. Looks good!
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    Wow. Looks good!



    Begins Masturbating...



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Serioulsy, the Mac Pro is due an update. Especially its design.



    It's good. But we're on Intel now. That's design has been with us 5 years now? It's nearly 2008 and that's sleeker and more sophisticated. In keeping with the new design points from the iMac.



    Could well be the design for a mid-tower to go alongside the 'uber-station' Mac Pro line. Bung in a quad. A gtx Nividia. Game over.



    Now.



    Can I have me a 'Studio display' to go with that?



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Yeah cause glass has such great ventilation . But seriously, where the f**k are the new updated Displays?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

    Yeah cause glass has such great ventilation . But seriously, where the f**k are the new updated Displays?



    Well, glass is on the the new iMac...



    ...and the displays? Scratches head.



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    What, "No handles!"



    How do you get into the inside of one of these?





    Did you shrink the height any?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post






  • Reply 7 of 41
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Yeah cause glass has such great ventilation .



    I figured that may be a flaw. But I thought maybe there could a few millimetres of space around the glass in which air is drawn. Because its black, it wouldn't be noticable as a gap and could give the glass centre a floating appearance. The back would not be glass of course, but a mesh again.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post


    What, "No handles!" How do you get into the inside of one of these? Did you shrink the height any?



    There are handles! Just not the conventionals ones... handles are created by insetting the front and back panels inwards an inch or two, leaving room to lift it by the aluminium ends.



    As for getting into the inside, I thought it would be cool (but probably not practical) if the whole centre module (black bit) slid out from the aluminium casing, thereby allowing the casing to be one solid piece of metal. If not, a side panel could just come off similiar to the current mac pro (I couldn't be bothered modelling all the seams...)



    I don't know if the height is shrunk - i didn't really pay attention to any particular dimensions - just went with what was looking good.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,200moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post


    I figured that may be a flaw. But I thought maybe there could a few millimetres of space around the glass in which air is drawn.



    As long as the back is open enough then a glass plate on the front would be ok I think. It would be able to circulate well enough like that - most PC towers have solid fronts.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post


    There are handles! Just not the conventionals ones... handles are created by insetting the front and back panels inwards an inch or two, leaving room to lift it by the aluminium ends.



    They'd have to make the machine much lighter though. The Mac Pro weighs 44lbs/20kg and there's no way I want my hands slipping off the edge so it can fall on my foot.



    I think Apple really need to aim to set a maximum 10kg upper limit on all their products - the 24" iMac even goes above this at 11.5kg. Honestly, if they made the Mac Pro smaller, I don't think we'd see as many complaints about a lack of a mid-range desktop. The sheer bulk of the Mac Pro is a bigger turn off to me than price. The price should come down as the processors do. Breaking below the £1000 barrier would be enough to do it - that only means shaving off £400 somewhere. If that compromises the Mac Pro in some way then there will have to be a separate product.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post


    I don't know if the height is shrunk - i didn't really pay attention to any particular dimensions - just went with what was looking good.



    Aim for 2/3 the size of the current Mac Pro at the absolute most.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    It needs a lot more ventilation that that. Unless you want the thing sounding like and aircraft carrier you need to really think about crating some clever ventilation. The current MacPro cases do a pretty good job and even with multiple GPUs they are significantly quieter than a standard PC chassis. Apple has done a good job of segregating and compartmentalizing their current chassis to allow efficient air flow around key components. You need to allow through-flow to create efficient cooling. Just blowing hot air out the back with a fan will cause that same hot air to be sucked back in again. Macs need to be quiet as well as pretty.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'm not a big fan of that design posted.

    Its just a little too generic looking. Like the mini.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post


    It needs a lot more ventilation that that. Unless you want the thing sounding like and aircraft carrier you need to really think about crating some clever ventilation. The current MacPro cases do a pretty good job and even with multiple GPUs they are significantly quieter than a standard PC chassis. Apple has done a good job of segregating and compartmentalizing their current chassis to allow efficient air flow around key components. You need to allow through-flow to create efficient cooling. Just blowing hot air out the back with a fan will cause that same hot air to be sucked back in again. Macs need to be quiet as well as pretty.



    Does anybody know if it is possible to recreate the G5s/Mac Pros cheese grater fascia in glass? A gloss black glass cheese grater would look cool...
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    Does anybody know if it is possible to recreate the G5s/Mac Pros cheese grater fascia in glass? A gloss black glass cheese grater would look cool...



    Physically you could, but by doing so you would severely weaken the structural integrity of the glass.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    since he doesn't show the top or bottom you could add vents there. Top is often problematic but a inset slot like the glass (it would look like a rectangular piece of aluminum floating on the top with the air slot surrounding it) with a filter might not look too bad. Coupled with the space between the glass you might get enough intake flow.



    The downside is that sometimes I stick stuff on top of the Mac Pro...
  • Reply 14 of 41
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post


    Physically you could, but by doing so you would severely weaken the structural integrity of the glass.



    Not if the glass were maintained in a molten state.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    royboyroyboy Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post


    Not if the glass were maintained in a molten state.



    I thought glass was still in a liquid state and still flowing down because of gravity!
  • Reply 16 of 41
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    As long as the back is open enough then a glass plate on the front would be ok I think. It would be able to circulate well enough like that - most PC towers have solid fronts.







    They'd have to make the machine much lighter though. The Mac Pro weighs 44lbs/20kg and there's no way I want my hands slipping off the edge so it can fall on my foot.



    I think Apple really need to aim to set a maximum 10kg upper limit on all their products - the 24" iMac even goes above this at 11.5kg. Honestly, if they made the Mac Pro smaller, I don't think we'd see as many complaints about a lack of a mid-range desktop. The sheer bulk of the Mac Pro is a bigger turn off to me than price. The price should come down as the processors do. Breaking below the £1000 barrier would be enough to do it - that only means shaving off £400 somewhere. If that compromises the Mac Pro in some way then there will have to be a separate product.







    Aim for 2/3 the size of the current Mac Pro at the absolute most.



    For a quiet system you want cross-air flow. The glass would work if it was CNC milled with very tiny pin holes. That wouldn't raise the cost or nothing!



    But seriously, if they could create a sheath that was designed to capture all the particles in the air on the front side and then be removable and cleanable, then slid back into place, I'd be much appreciated. Consider it HEPA-friendly.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    It's a little stout for a Mac product. Take the PowerMacs and Mac Pros of yesterday... they've never been caught being obese.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    I'm unsure as to how easy it would be to remove the side and access the "shelf" hard drives assuming they won't be removing those from this design.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Honestly, if they made the Mac Pro smaller, I don't think we'd see as many complaints about a lack of a mid-range desktop.



    Yes we most certainly would. I have a monitor. Why should I buy a new one? I'm glad Apple makes such a great all-in-one, but the iMac isn't for me.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idoaudio View Post


    Yes we most certainly would. I have a monitor. Why should I buy a new one? I'm glad Apple makes such a great all-in-one, but the iMac isn't for me.



    Uh, he said "Mac Pro" not iMac. You wouldn't need to buy a new monitor if the Mac Pro were smaller. . . .
Sign In or Register to comment.