Apple's Mac OS X, Safari register share gains in September

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's share of the worldwide computer installed based rose to over 6.6 percent last month, helped largely by growth of Intel-based systems, according to just-released data from market research firm Net Applications. At the same time, the company's Safari web browser also posted healthy share gains.

For the month of September, the percentage of Internet users running the Intel version of Apple's Mac OS X operating system grew more than 14.5 percent to 3.23 percent, up from 2.82 percent in August. Some of those users appear to have upgraded from systems running the PowerPC version of Mac OS X, which saw its share dip slight to 3.33 percent from 3.38 percent.

When combined, however, Intel- and PowerPC-based Mac systems accounted for more than 6.61 percent of the worldwide computer installed base in September, according to Net Applications. That represents a 40 percent surge from the same time a year ago, when both flavors of the Mac OS combined for just a 4.72 share. It also represents a 7.5 percent increase from August, when both versions combined for a 6.15 percent share.

Apple also continued to fair well in the Web browser department, with usage of its Safari browser rising some 43 percent over the course of the past year. According to Net Applications, Safari accounted for 5.07 percent of web traffic in September, up from just 3.53 percent during the same time last year.

Operating System Market Share for September, 2007

Usage of the Safari browser was also up more than 8 percent from August when it registered a 4.68 percent share. Overall, Safari posted the largest share gain of any other browser during September.

Browser Market Share for September, 2007

Net Applications says it uses a unique methodology for collecting its market share data. This includes collecting data from the browsers of site visitors to their exclusive on demand network of small to medium enterprise live stats customers, which consists of more than 40,000 urls.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    The second image is identical to the first. I assume it is suppose to reflect browse-share?

-Clive
  • Reply 2 of 46
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Firefox 3 is coming in a couple of months or so. Be nice if they could get above 20% share. IE 7 is a pretty big improvement over the craptastic IE 6, but even so, I still prefer the alternatives, and a browser monopoly is just bad for everyone... 'cept MS, of course.

And kudos to Safari for coming up to a 5% share. Once its out of the 'beta' woods, that share should improve further.

• Reply 3 of 46
    The first paragraph was worded really weird.

"...helped largely by growth of Intel-based systems..."

....wouldn't it have been helped ENTIRELY by people buying intel systems?
  • Reply 4 of 46
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Firefox 3 is coming in a couple of months or so. Be nice if they could get above 20% share. IE 7 is a pretty big improvement over the craptastic IE 6, but even so, I still prefer the alternatives, and a browser monopoly is just bad for everyone... 'cept MS, of course.

And kudos to Safari for coming up to a 5% share. Once its out of the 'beta' woods, that share should improve further.

I agree that once Safari is out of beta its numbers will climb higher. Once out of beta, Apple should give the option to download and install Safari along with iTunes. That would bring more awareness to the product on the Windows side. Google does this kind of gorilla marketing.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    It's a shame that Opera doesn't get more recognition, i've used it for several years on both Mac and Windows and i think it's an excellent browser.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    In addition to separating Intel and PPC-based Macs from each other, Net Applications also separate different Windows releases from each other. For making a Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux comparison, see this page. It also compares the Windows CE, Symbian and the iPhone, with the latter one scoring the highest share of web browsing just three months after its release.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    iS the macintel suppose to be represented by the OS86 users? It seems that there are as many as regular OS X users, I wonder how the hackintosh development community is doing with the new leopard builds.

Thunk Different.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

iS the macintel suppose to be represented by the OS86 users? It seems that there are as many as regular OS X users, I wonder how the hackintosh development community is doing with the new leopard builds.

Thunk Different.

What? MacIntel clearly represents Mac Intel users... I.e. all new Mac computers in the last year and a half or so.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    I skewed the results. I have an iMac that doesn't connect to the internet (yet), and a crappy Dell running XP that does.

So please subtract 0.00001% from the XP pie-slice, and add it to MacIntel.

Sorry for the confusion.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    So how come AI fails to mention the iPhone update crippling/bricking modded iPhones.

Isn't that newsworthy? Perhaps Apple own AI?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

Thunk Different.

Any OSX86 user would most definitely report a "MacIntel" number since these web counters query the software, and all OSX86 boxes are running Intel builds of OS X. HOWEVER, their numbers are so small compared to Intel Mac users that they wouldn't make much of a dent in the scores.

-Clive
  • Reply 12 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

It's a shame that Opera doesn't get more recognition, i've used it for several years on both Mac and Windows and i think it's an excellent browser.

It got recognition in the pie chart. I wonder if it's a problem with Opera defaulting to sending a user agent string that says it's IE. For all we know, Opera might be in more widespread use than these things would suggest. I checked for three domains that I handle, and the hits using Opera browser are between a fourth to a tenth of the Safari hits.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So how come AI fails to mention the iPhone update crippling/bricking modded iPhones.

That's interesting now that you mention it. It's been discussed in the thread attached to the 1.1.1 news posting, but not mentioned in a story. That posting does reiterate Apple's warning though, so maybe that story & thread was considered to be enough.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No; that's already been discussed in other stories/threads. See the 1.1.1 announcement story for example. This is totally unrelated.

Thankfully, not every news story covered by every Apple-related web site is obliged to dwell on that one issue to the exclusion of everything else.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

No; that's already been discussed in other stories/threads. See the 1.1.1 announcement story for example. This is totally unrelated. Thankfully, not every news story covered by every Apple-related web site is obliged to dwell on that one issue to the exclusion of everything else.

God, yes. Some of these people are getting out of hand. Cheers to REAL news!

~ CB
  • Reply 15 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonessodarally View Post

The first paragraph was worded really weird.

"...helped largely by growth of Intel-based systems..."

....wouldn't it have been helped ENTIRELY by people buying intel systems?

The growth was entirely due to purchase of Intel systems. The total is only partly due to them.

Give it a few more years. Apparently, half of all the systems out there are still PPC.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Getting a little off track for a minute, it was shocking to see just how low Vista was after all these months on the market. Now is Apple's best chance to steal market share.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

There's always one.

Seriously though, Opera has to be the ugliest piece of software I've ever used, especially the Mac version. I cringe every time I get an email saying a site I've done doesn't work on Opera (thankfully rare these days).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I wonder if it's a problem with Opera defaulting to sending a user agent string that says it's IE.

It's reported it's user agent as Opera by default for a number of years now. Since around version 8 back in 2005.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sälli View Post

It also compares the Windows CE, Symbian and the iPhone, with the latter one scoring the highest share of web browsing just three months after its release.

So 1 million US iPhone slackers have surpassed 100 million Symbian users. Well done guys.

Somehow I think Net Applications stats are broken.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

Getting a little off track for a minute, it was shocking to see just how low Vista was after all these months on the market. Now is Apple's best chance to steal market share.

I'm looking forward to seeing graphs of Vista use vs. Leopard use in a few months. Surely Vista will be ahead as it's pre-installed on most low-grade PC purchases, but I believe--as previously read--that >80% of Mac users will upgrade to the latest OS almost immediately.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

So 1 million US iPhone slackers have surpassed 100 million Symbian users. Well done guys.

Somehow I think Net Applications stats are broken.

Perhaps not. the iPhone's full browser surely makes surfng much easier than previous other cell phones with internet browser-like capabilities. How many of those 100 Symbian users are doing heavy browsing on their cell phones? I, for one, use Safari a great deal, where I never used it on any other cell phone despite it having a browser.

PS: My only wish is that Apple included an option for keyboard typeable, complex passwords instead of a 4 digit PIN and then included Keychain.app which was synced from my Mac for websites.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Great! The day the Mac has 20% market share, Windows will be history three years later.