It's October but no Leopard release date?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It would be nice if Apple could let it's customers know when Leopard is going to be released other than saying "October". There level of secrecy sometimes is a pain in the ass.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 25
    royboyroyboy Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post


    It would be nice if Apple could let it's customers know when Leopard is going to be released other than saying "October". There level of secrecy sometimes is a pain in the ass.



    It's like a first kiss. When you don't know when it's coming, then the anticipation gives you a higher level of excitement!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,549member
    Do you have a particular reason to know the exact date?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    I'd like to know because I'm having a hard time waiting to by my new iMac. I feel like I would have waited for nothing if it gets pushed back again.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post


    I'd like to know because I'm having a hard time waiting to by my new iMac. I feel like I would have waited for nothing if it gets pushed back again.



    I'd like to know for the same reason. Other than the iPod, this will be my first test of the Apple waters. I thought that maybe they were waiting for the start of the 4th quarter to announce a free upgrade to Leopard on any new iMac purchase. The day they announce that I'll place my order and count the days until I can retire the old Gateway.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    Rather than commiting to a specific date which they may or may not meet, Apple chooses to either not pre-announce at all or give very vague time tables. All dev teams at Apple are surprisingly small and they deliver when they're ready. This can be frustrating but it beats the alternative - who wants another Leopard delay?



    Speaking of which, we "knew" that Leopard was coming out this summer, and we all remember what happened. Apple giving a specific date far in advance would only lead to more disappointment - it wouldn't guarantee that you'd get a product on that date.



    Their teams already work insane hours as they get near their target date, and it's unreasonable to expect that they could "pull harder" or, god forbid, hire or outsource just so they could meet the deadline.



    As for amador's question, Leopard *will* ship in October (though you may actually receive it some time in November) whether it's done or not. Another delay will not be allowed to happen, quality be damned.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,780member
    October 32nd is a pretty safe bet.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post


    It would be nice if Apple could let it's customers know when Leopard is going to be released other than saying "October". There level of secrecy sometimes is a pain in the ass.



    Actually, if there is one thing within the Apple campus that is the LEAST secret, it's information about Leopard. I'd say most people on the Apple campus know almost exactly when Leopard will be released.



    But I'll guarantee the ship date won't be before the 14th of October.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    tomorrow
  • Reply 9 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    October 32nd is a pretty safe bet.



    Haha, good one.



    And to answer the original question, announcing the release date is more about taking a risk to finally deliver on time than being secretive. When Tiger was nearing completion, Apple announced the release date about two weeks in advance.



    So, in the Leopard case and if the October time frame still holds, expect an announcement of the precise release date in around two weeks from now.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I am new to this but as I understand it 10.4.11 will come out before 10.5.



    Wouldn't the release of 10.4.11 be a harbinger of Leopard then? In other words, when we see 10.4.11 then we know that 10.5 is very near.



    Or do I have this wrong?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    10.4.11 and 10.5 could come out at the same time for all we know. The only thing for certain is that it will take about 2 weeks for 10.5 to make it to users after it has been sent to the manufacturers. So far it has not been released and it sounds like there are a few issues, specifically with the auto update, that are keeping it from going golden master.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG View Post


    10.4.11 and 10.5 could come out at the same time for all we know. The only thing for certain is that it will take about 2 weeks for 10.5 to make it to users after it has been sent to the manufacturers. So far it has not been released and it sounds like there are a few issues, specifically with the auto update, that are keeping it from going golden master.



    Apple has historically announced the ship date of operating systems 1-2 weeks in advance (after it has gone gold master, but before manufacturing and duplication is done).
  • Reply 13 of 25
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,780member
    It is odd that Apple hasn't sent out press invitations to announce Leopard this Friday.



    I mean October 5th (aka 10.5) would seem to have been the perfect announcement date, even if the software doesn't ship for a month or so.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Don't forget that Boot Camp Beta expires on the Leopard release date. So for those Tiger people who haven't installed it yet, get that mother installed or you will have to buy Leopard to do it.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Tuesday!









    Seriously, I think that we will get a firm release date on October 15th when apple's quarter ends.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post


    Tuesday!









    Seriously, I think that we will get a firm release date on October 15th when apple's quarter ends.



    The only thing is that October 15th is monday...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post


    The only thing is that October 15th is monday...



    And what's wrong with Monday?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    My memory is not what it once was but didn't 10.3.9 come out after 10.4.0?



    My guess is Tuesday 30 Oct.





    EDIT: No I was wrong: 10.3.9 came on Fri 15 Apr 05, Tiger hit the shelves on Fri 29 Apr 05. Still there's no reason Apple can't tidy loose ends up later.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    For me (also waiting to purchase a new MacBook Pro), it is not the specific date on which they are going to release, so much as the question about cost to upgrade. While I would ideally like to just buy a new MacBook Pro with Leopard already loaded, I'd probably be willing to take the plunge if I had some comfort that if I buy within a certain window, even if Leopard release is delayed, I'll still be entitled to a free (or tremendously discounted) upgrade. At this point Apple surely has a target date within October, and knows whether or not they are going to release within the next week. Assuming that the target release date is sometime within the last 7 days of the month, and that Apple is going to announce the release date some time in advance of the release, what would really be the harm in announcing now that as of a certain day, which could be in the future or could be "as of today," anyone purchasing a new Mac will be entitled to a free (or heavily discounted) upgrade to Leopard upon release. They could simply put it as "Apple is committed to an October release for Leopard. Anyone purchasing a new Mac starting today will be entitled to a free ($29/$59) upgrade upon release." This allows people to make intelligent decisions rather than sitting around trying to "time the market." I suppose you could argue that they forgo some revenue because they are giving more free or discounted copies of Leopard away than they otherwise would, but I would think that the current income stream of people buying Macs today instead of waiting would more than offset this. At this point, unless Leopard is going to be Windows-like in its clear unpreparedness to be released as anything but a beta, I think Apple is going to have to release in October.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spectre1 View Post


    For me (also waiting to purchase a new MacBook Pro), it is not the specific date on which they are going to release, so much as the question about cost to upgrade. While I would ideally like to just buy a new MacBook Pro with Leopard already loaded, I'd probably be willing to take the plunge if I had some comfort that if I buy within a certain window, even if Leopard release is delayed, I'll still be entitled to a free (or tremendously discounted) upgrade. At this point Apple surely has a target date within October, and knows whether or not they are going to release within the next week. Assuming that the target release date is sometime within the last 7 days of the month, and that Apple is going to announce the release date some time in advance of the release, what would really be the harm in announcing now that as of a certain day, which could be in the future or could be "as of today," anyone purchasing a new Mac will be entitled to a free (or heavily discounted) upgrade to Leopard upon release. They could simply put it as "Apple is committed to an October release for Leopard. Anyone purchasing a new Mac starting today will be entitled to a free ($29/$59) upgrade upon release." This allows people to make intelligent decisions rather than sitting around trying to "time the market." I suppose you could argue that they forgo some revenue because they are giving more free or discounted copies of Leopard away than they otherwise would, but I would think that the current income stream of people buying Macs today instead of waiting would more than offset this. At this point, unless Leopard is going to be Windows-like in its clear unpreparedness to be released as anything but a beta, I think Apple is going to have to release in October.



    The window is between Leopard being released and Leopard actually being shipped in the box of new Macs.



    Outside that you're looking at the full price of $129.
Sign In or Register to comment.