Road to Mac OS X Leopard: an extensive look at Preview 4.0

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    cshcsh Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Apple can't win on this one. For years, they get blasted for not making all the apps more consistent. So they change all the apps to match their most popular app, iTunes, and people continue to complain.

People are complaining because the iTunes interface isn't very good. It violates Apple's own rules. Of course, they do that a lot anyway, but one real disappointment for me about the upcoming Leopard is the idea of Finder looking like iTunes.

Yuck.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joekewe View Post

Just drag them into Safari.

That's still not the best solution when Preview should be able to do it.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

What happened to your NDA? Or did Fox instruct you to write this?

When we are this close to GM, we get a little more talkative. Actually we might be at the GM - they never tell us which build it was until after the launch.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

When we are this close to GM, we get a little more talkative. Actually we might be at the GM - they never tell us which build it was until after the launch.

Adobe is *almost* as bad.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

What happened to your NDA?

It catched fire.

Seeing people having a hard time to keep their lips tight, is a sign that the release is close.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Adobe is *almost* as bad.

I think it was Tiger that we already had a later build, and when they released, it was the previous one.

That's why I always have to wait for someone to get a retail copy and tell me what the build number is.

I just checked and we are still at 9A559.

ZFS is in there, but read-only at release. The ZFS Beta is full-feature and working for developers who wish to use it. It supports RAID-Z.

Resolution Independence is in there. There are sample code projects that use it.

People are going to be very very pleased with the new Finder. Steve didn't highlight the real improvements, which are fine-grained permission folder sharing, super-easy LAN connections, and robust and fast LAN networking. iDisk especially is now actually "snappy." And no beachballing.

Mail.app's To Do List means not having to go to iCal to schedule To Dos.

Software Update is completely revamped.

I expect if we don't get a build this week, then 9A559 is the GM.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    What happened to the article? The link to the article no longer works.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Mail.app's To Do List means not having to go to iCal to schedule To Dos.

How does that work? I don't know the particular implementation, but I think it makes more sense to manage to dos in iCal than within Mail. Do the programs at least manage a common list?