Microsoft unveils second generation of Zune media players

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looking forward to some product reviews from AI... Apple needs to keep moving or get steamrolled.

You're kidding, right?

Apple won't stand still, but at this point they could diddle themselves for a year or two and still be outselling the competition in this space, much less worrying about gettin' 'steamrolled'.

What we forget is that right now is the 'high point' for the Flash Zune. The Zune fanboys will be all full of hope, the media will report on it 'cuz its the newest kid on the block, we're all speculating, but then... pffft. It ends up being an also-ran.

Just like Zune 1.0... hyped, and then... nothing. Remember? \

• Reply 22 of 82
    gustavgustav Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

An aforementioned "Zune Pass" will allow users to download as much music as they want for a flat monthly rate of $14.99. <--- That is nice!

Yes, but once you stop paying, you can't play any of the music. Notice that Virgin just shut down their subscription based music store. What are you going to do when MS decides to shut theirs down.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'm not gonna lie, those are really nice looking. This is what last year's ipods should have looked like only clad in aluminum. And the classic should have a screen like the zune 80. 2.5" Screen on the classic is a waste of space. And the nano last year brought nothing new to the table other than the aluminum, it should have gotten a 1.8 inch screen then.

If someone were to hack itunes compatability into the zune 80 I'd heavily consider one over the ipod classic.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yes, but once you stop paying, you can't play any of the music. Notice that Virgin just shut down their subscription based music store. What are you going to do when MS decides to shut theirs down.

You are right... straight from Zune.net:

"The songs you download on your Zune Pass are yours for as long as you hold your Zune Pass subscription."

This is RENTING not buying. Stupid.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

You'll be able to buy one for half price at WalMart - just in time for the Christmas rush. Maybe that will push them over the 1.5 million mark by the end of the year..........................(2008):lol!

Then I hope they offer the 5 early adopters a rebate for half the difference (sarcasm)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Why is this even posted on here.

They're not Mac compatible and have nothing to do with Apple.

Sure they do. They are competition to the iPod, even if it is minimal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I dunno... the SanDisk Sansa flash players are actually pretty decent.

MS could end up #3 in that space actually, even with all the ad money they have to throw around.

SanDIsk does amjr price cuts during the holiday season that gives the Nano a run for it's money. Just check out Amazon.com for a list of the most popular sellers in the coming months.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You're kidding, right?

Apple won't stand still, but at this point they could diddle themselves for a year or two and still be outselling the competition in this space, much less worrying about gettin' 'steamrolled'.

What we forget is that right now is the 'high point' for the Flash Zune. The Zune fanboys will be all full of hope, the media will report on it 'cuz its the newest kid on the block, we're all speculating, but then... pffft. It ends up being an also-ran.

Just like Zune 1.0... hyped, and then... nothing. Remember? \

Yes, I'm sort of kidding. Zune is nothing now, and it will probably continue to be nothing... but it might also be something. There's no excuse for slacking off in this business.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    Quote:

New Zunes released, America yawns.

Story at eleven... if the clip we have of the cute dancing dog in the park doesn't bump it.

Back to you, Phil.

Actually they look pretty decent. At the very least they seem to be an improvement over the first gen models. I'm a big fan of the nano but I would consider a Zune over a video iPod.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually they look pretty decent. At the very least they seem to be an improvement over the first gen models. I'm a big fan of the nano but I would consider a Zune over a video iPod.

Cool... someone has to buy a Zune besides Ballmer's mom, after all.

• Reply 29 of 82
    Quote:

Cool... someone has to buy a Zune besides Ballmer's mom, after all.

Well lets put it this way. By now everyone on this forum would have though the Zune would have failed and been pulled over the market. The fact is its making progress which is exactly what I expected.

MS doesn't enter a market and in the hopes of grabbing first place the first year, a perfect example is look at the gaming console market six years ago and look at it now, its quite different. That could very well be the case six years from now regarding the Zune.

MS isn't doing all that bad jumping into a market that was totally dominated by Apple. I'm not sure we can say the same for Apple when they jump into a dominated market.

The ipod market is a yawn now anyways everyone and their mother has an ipod, its not new, its not cool its just something people own. If MS can offer something that Apple can't or won't in the future your dreaming if you don't think they can grab a large share of this market by making one good move.

Apple hasn't exactly been stellar lately, the iMac while I love it many don't with the new glossy screen, apple tv hasn't done well at all, Apple simply will not make a mid tower or upgrade the mac mini with decent specs, the iphone and iPod touch screens have had quality control issues.

I know we are holding onto this iPod market share for dear life these days but some competition isn't all that bad.

Next month I think we will find Leopard to be a yawn also. People expectations are way too high for an OS upgrade.

So anyways back to the Zune the simple fact is MS has not just simply gone away, they have made progress and will most likely continue to move forward.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

This is true, I believe, but in the long run MS has the marketing power to blow past SanDisk. I believe it's just a matter of time.

Best,

K

SO.. Why don't you give SanDisk some free advertising when THEY release new product?

I'm vaguely interested in reading about the zune on this board, after getting fed up with the crap and "placement quotes" from some very obvious m$ shills on engadget, but seriously If the Zune is such a threat, but ACTUALLY behind SanDisk, why don't you give posts when SanDisk ship new product?
  • Reply 31 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Well lets put it this way. By now everyone on this forum would have though the Zune would have failed and been pulled over the market. The fact is its making progress which is exactly what I expected.

MS doesn't enter a market and in the hopes of grabbing first place the first year, a perfect example is look at the gaming console market six years ago and look at it now, its quite different. That could very well be the case six years from now regarding the Zune.

MS isn't doing all that bad jumping into a market that was totally dominated by Apple. I'm not sure we can say the same for Apple when they jump into a dominated market.

The ipod market is a yawn now anyways everyone and their mother has an ipod, its not new, its not cool its just something people own. If MS can offer something that Apple can't or won't in the future your dreaming if you don't think they can grab a large share of this market by making one good move.

Apple hasn't exactly been stellar lately, the iMac while I love it many don't with the new glossy screen, apple tv hasn't done well at all, Apple simply will not make a mid tower or upgrade the mac mini with decent specs, the iphone and iPod touch screens have had quality control issues.

I know we are holding onto this iPod market share for dear life these days but some competition isn't all that bad.

Next month I think we will find Leopard to be a yawn also. People expectations are way too high for an OS upgrade.

So anyways back to the Zune the simple fact is MS has not just simply gone away, they have made progress and will most likely continue to move forward.

Nobody on this forum expected the Zune to simply fail and be withdrawn. MS is known for its tenacity in these markets, even when it seems pointless.

Having said that, it's going to take a lot more than "one good move" for the Zune, or anything else, to seriously impact iPod/iTunes/iTMS market dominance, because a new MP3 player is simply one piece of the necessary ecology.

And using the XBox as an example of how MS gets it done is never a good idea, because game consoles sink or swim on games.

Unless MS is planning its own music label, with exclusive mega-hits available only for the Zune, the comparison is meaningless.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    I think it looks really decent too, and i wish the classic iPod would have had a bigger screen, like the zune. Does anybody know why the iPods can only support up to 640x480? What is limiting it (the iPod) from supporting 720x480?

I'm just curious and haven't found an answer, so please enlighten me guys. Thanks!!
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Don't take the bribe of 1 million songs. Only sorrow, will you find.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Nobody on this forum expected the Zune to simply fail and be withdrawn. MS is known for its tenacity in these markets, even when it seems pointless.

Having said that, it's going to take a lot more than "one good move" for the Zune, or anything else, to seriously impact iPod/iTunes/iTMS market dominance, because a new MP3 player is simply one piece of the necessary ecology.

And using the XBox as an example of how MS gets it done is never a good idea, because game consoles sink or swim on games.

Unless MS is planning its own music label, with exclusive mega-hits available only for the Zune, the comparison is meaningless.

I don't know of too many markets that MS enters that are pointless. Any company can enter a market that fails but Bill Gates isn't the richest American because he makes bad choices.

With any business it can take just one gooe move in the right direction to create a change, that change might not be overnight. Just ask Sony if MS messed up their world.

The Zune doesn't have to over take the iPod to be consider sucessful it just has to do well. Apple does well and the only thing it owns a market share on is the iPod.

This whole Apple vs MS deal is a joke anyways created by a Steve Jobs ego, the two companies don't even really compete against each other in most markets. MS is not about harware they are a true software company and allow third party vendors to worry about hardware, Apple make a good deal of money off hardware sales. MS has an operating system that is open, Apple has an OS that is closed to anyone that doesn't buy their hardware.

Even the way the companies are run are totally different, Bill Gates puts people in place to run his divisions, Steves Jobs is a micro managing control freak which kind of explains why it takes forever for shit to get done at Apple.

They clearly have a video driver issue on the new iMac something that ATI or Nvidia would fix on the windows side in 24 hours yet for Apple it will take months.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I don't know of too many markets that MS enters that are pointless. Any company can enter a market that fails but Bill Gates isn't the richest American because he makes bad choices.

With any business it can take just one gooe move in the right direction to create a change, that change might not be overnight. Just ask Sony if MS messed up their world.

The Zune doesn't have to over take the iPod to be consider sucessful it just has to do well. Apple does well and the only thing it owns a market share on is the iPod.

This whole Apple vs MS deal is a joke anyways created by a Steve Jobs ego, the two companies don't even really compete against each other in most markets. MS is not about harware they are a true software company and allow third party vendors to worry about hardware, Apple make a good deal of money off hardware sales. MS has an operating system that is open, Apple has an OS that is closed to anyone that doesn't buy their hardware.

Even the way the companies are run are totally different, Bill Gates puts people in place to run his divisions, Steves Jobs is a micro managing control freak which kind of explains why it takes forever for shit to get done at Apple.

They clearly have a video driver issue on the new iMac something that ATI or Nvidia would fix on the windows side in 24 hours yet for Apple it will take months.

You don't appear to have an actual point about the Zune beyond rambling thoughts on why MS is better than Apple, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    surprisingly large number of people sucking microsoft's dick in this thread, interesting.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You don't appear to have an actual point about the Zune beyond rambling thoughts on why MS is better than Apple, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Actually I made my point three post back. The point is MS is making progress in this area something most people thought they couldn't do.

It was a fairly simple point until you decided to post to me.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

surprisingly large number of people sucking microsoft's dick in this thread, interesting.

This forum never stop amazing me. Just because everyone on this forum doesn't want to see every other product other than those made by Apple die a nasty death doesn't me we are sucking anyones dick.

The problem is there is either too many children on this site or people that are just too stupid to understand that solid competition is good for the end user. A good solid product is just that doesn't matter who makes it.

The ones that are sucking dick are the ones that buy a product based on a name.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Quote:

Well lets put it this way. By now everyone on this forum would have though the Zune would have failed and been pulled over the market. The fact is its making progress which is exactly what I expected. MS doesn't enter a market and in the hopes of grabbing first place the first year, a perfect example is look at the gaming console market six years ago and look at it now, its quite different. That could very well be the case six years from now regarding the Zune. MS isn't doing all that bad jumping into a market that was totally dominated by Apple. I'm not sure we can say the same for Apple when they jump into a dominated market.

Really poor example to use their multi-billion dollar losing gaming.

Or maybe not, I can see MS pouring billions into Zune just to keep it going and not lose face.

Progress is being made in terms of marketshare, no doubt. I wish I had billions to sell people brand new cars I bought for tens of thousands for a fraction because I wanted to put my competition out of business. I bet my marketshare would skyrocket compared to a real car dealer without that advantage.

If you're giving away something below cost, no it's not a failure for the customer.

But it is for the stockholders of Microsoft. And will continue to be going forward for the next little (maybe long) while.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Really poor example to use their multi-billion dollar losing gaming.

Or maybe not, I can see MS pouring billions into Zune just to keep it going and not lose face.

Progress is being made in terms of marketshare, no doubt. I wish I had billions to sell people brand new cars I bought for tens of thousands for a fraction because I wanted to put my competition out of business. I bet my marketshare would skyrocket compared to a real car dealer without that advantage.

If you're giving away something below cost, no it's not a failure for the customer.

But it is for the stockholders of Microsoft. And will continue to be going forward for the next little (maybe long) while.

Poor example? Its pretty well known that console gaming is all about selling games even if that mean taking a lose on the hardware.

If its not a failure for the customer then who cares? We are the customer. If MS can continue to produce better products and we benifit thats the only thing that matters. I know that might sound too logical.

I don't believe we have to worry about MS losing money its all about what they take in as a company, this is simple business, its about bottom line one division will pick up the slack for others divisions not doing as well.

Same hold true for Apple unlike MS they have to make 50% on their hardware seeing only 6% of computer market owns it.