Apple working on improvements to Web-based iPhone SDK

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Steve, you must drop round to the house sometime, I've got some good wine, and afterwards I can break your legs

Post of the month!
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Please let them support flash with the next update.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Not going to happen. Flash for ARM processors is pretty much pointless, and Adobe can't even optimize Flash 9 for Mac OS X.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not going to happen. Flash for ARM processors is pretty much pointless, and Adobe can't even optimize Flash 9 for Mac OS X.

Works just fine on my Phone. So does Java.

Yet Jobs wants us to use Javascript.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

At least hope the new h264 flash is supported in some way.

Adobe talk about using .mp4 containers for those anyway... so I'm not sure how flash h264 would differ from regular h264 files. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Flash integration would be a big help considering the multitude of sites using it. I know that is a little off topic to the discussion of iPhone app development, but then again web apps are becoming a big part of Adobe's push w/ Flash.

I could see a great interest in developing rich Flash apps designated for iPhones.

Then again, I could be completely off-base. \

/
  • Reply 47 of 54
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I remember making apps for Prime computers with only 16k of memory that ran complete companies.

Just because we can make devices that can support 8gig of ram does not mean we as developers have to be bad programers and use all of it.

You are showing your age by making remarks like this.

Or you can use 0k by using a web app. My point is still valid.

For those of you who want flash, you are in the minority. The average computer user doesn't know what flash is and will either install it without knowing why, or won't install it at all. Until flash is a built in standard, like javascript, it will never gain widespread acceptance.

I recently convinced my girlfriend, who is a flash programmer to start using css and AJAX instead, it's almost as powerful and not uselessly power hungry. Websites with too much flash are a pain in the ass imo.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Or you can use 0k by using a web app. My point is still valid.

Don't those use cookies? That also ignores other resource issues. People talk about power consumption, but javascript interpretation is slower/takes longer than native code, and thus consumes more power.

I don't get the impression that you've ever used a mobile platform, they usually don't take much space. I think you are making way too much of iPhone app size, the entire iPhone OS takes 150MB, and that includes those built-in apps. I hardly think that there is any threat of taking over the iPhone's storage. The biggest mobile app that I've ever downloaded is HandyShopper for Palm, and that is 211k.

AppTappInstaller is a 282k download, and that includes a computer-side installer.

Quote:

For those of you who want flash, you are in the minority. The average computer user doesn't know what flash is and will either install it without knowing why, or won't install it at all. Until flash is a built in standard, like javascript, it will never gain widespread acceptance.

Widespread acceptance? Where have you been the last decade? Last I saw, Flash is on 99% of web-capable computers, and there is no reason to think it's gone down since it's included with almost all new web browsers.

I don't see anything in your posts where your opinion is grounded in anything more than more opinions. It's hard to take you seriously when you make critically flawed assumptions.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

"[Steve] Jobs is a control freak and doesn't want people messing with perfection."

If the iPhone really is perfect, why would Apple need to release iPhone updates or work on new hardware versions?
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

If the iPhone really is perfect, why would Apple need to release iPhone updates or work on new hardware versions?

I love it!!!!
  • Reply 51 of 54
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    We don't know the details... but this sounds somewhat like widgets to me.. just little more restricted than the Mac widgets. Sounds good enough for me. This way you can develop all kinds of things, taken that the SDK at least gives you access to the multi touch input. An even simpler way for Apple to support 3d party apps and contend would be if they allowed Flash widgets.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Both Web base iPhone & iTouch are fantastic with the full version of Safari or may be the new Leopard Internet browser.

We had successfully entered and operated the banking investment account through WiFi in the shopping mall running Safari Internet browser on the simple iTouch to buy and sell stock either locally in Hong Kong or oversea in USA in real time.

None of the mobile phone in the market running Microsoft Internet explorer browser either version 5 or 6 has such capability to manage the bank account directly. Even 3G or 3.5G mobile phone such as from Nokia, Motorola, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC and LG etc. that we had tried.

Therefore I would say iTouch or the more complicate full function iPhone are most suitable for financial and business personal to whom they can operate their banking account for financial arrangement in real time anywhere around the world.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charanischiu View Post

None of the mobile phone in the market running Microsoft Internet explorer browser either version 5 or 6 has such capability to manage the bank account directly. Even 3G or 3.5G mobile phone such as from Nokia, Motorola, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC and LG etc. that we had tried.

Did that include Nokia's new 3G N-series phones running the WebKit based S60 browser? It uses exactly the same browser engine as the iPhone.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    You can use FileMaker on the iPhone - simply check out http://www.fmtouch.com fully relational FileMaker pro on the Apple iPhone.

In Kindness

Stephen Knight