Good experiences with Aluminum iMacs?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am awaiting delivery of a 24", 500GB, 2.4GHz. Kind of freaked out with the reports of freezing - anybody like to share their GOOD new Al iMac experiences here?

Please?

To give me some hope?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Don't worry, it is always the case that people having problems are the ones most likely to post their experience on a forum. They're either looking for help, warning others, or just venting rage. Meanwhile, the people with no trouble are busy simply using their computer.

It is easy to have a warped and overly negative perspective unless figuring the above into the analysis.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Don't worry, it is always the case that people having problems are the ones most likely to post their experience on a forum. They're either looking for help, warning others, or just venting rage. Meanwhile, the people with no trouble are busy simply using their computer.

It is easy to have a warped and overly negative perspective unless figuring the above into the analysis.

I know - back in the day, I got one of the first blue & white G3 Powermacs (it was actually the first mac I knew about before it came out, thanks to this very website!) and that model had its share of glitches reported by people - my G3 is still going strong after all these years.

It's not so much for reassurance - I just want to hear people's positive experiences so I (and others like me) can know what to (probably) look forward to. I'm particularly interested in reports from those who have upgraded from slightly older Macs to the new Al imacs - comparative speed, experiences with app performance both Rosetta and native, speaker quality/lack thereof etc.

I'm going from an early model G5 imac, so I'm hoping for a noticeable performance increase.

Loking forward to those posts!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I love my 24-inch 2.4GHz model; I was surprised at how fast it is. And I use an eight-core Mac Pro at work! Despite all the shrieking and hair-pulling from the usual complainers, the display is beautiful and incredibly bright, and the machine is dead quiet. I have a G4 Cube with a processor upgrade, and the fan in that is louder than the iMac.

I do have the random freeze issue, although for me it almost always happens in Safari, and usually when I'm scrolling through a page or opening my bookmarks menu. Which leads me to believe it is indeed a graphics card driver issue, which will be fixed with a software update. It's a nuisance but I'm not overly concerned.

The keyboard did take some getting used to, but now I've bought one for work as well and I don't even think about it any more. I just wish I could get a full-sized wireless version.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    ukmacukmac Posts: 13member
    I have had a 24 incher for the last couple of weeks and am very pleased with it. So far I have not experienced the issues mentioned elsewhere in these forums. I have had one crash but I think that was more to do with a fault on a NAS that I was connected to at the time.

Personally I think the screen glare issue is hugely overblown. The extra contrast of the new screens is well worth it. I have previously had a 20" iMac and a 17' G5 iMac and sitting next to the 20" version when I was transferring files over last week it was quite clear to me which screen was perferable..

--

Scott

http://ukmac.net
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrunoBruin View Post

I love my 24-inch 2.4GHz model; I was surprised at how fast it is. And I use an eight-core Mac Pro at work! Despite all the shrieking and hair-pulling from the usual complainers, the display is beautiful and incredibly bright, and the machine is dead quiet. I have a G4 Cube with a processor upgrade, and the fan in that is louder than the iMac.

I do have the random freeze issue, although for me it almost always happens in Safari, and usually when I'm scrolling through a page or opening my bookmarks menu. Which leads me to believe it is indeed a graphics card driver issue, which will be fixed with a software update. It's a nuisance but I'm not overly concerned.

The keyboard did take some getting used to, but now I've bought one for work as well and I don't even think about it any more. I just wish I could get a full-sized wireless version.

Thanks, great to hear it's that fast! I was wondering if you do anything intensive like heavy Photoshop work, Final Cut Pro editing etc. or if it's just a general purpose light-duty computer for you?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Check out the heat issue when you get yours. I've been seeing a lot of reports that some new iMacs get so hot (top left?) that owners are worried that they will catch fire If that's the case with yours, make a report about it with Apple and GET A COPY for yourself so that you are covered legally. Best of luck with your new Mac
  • Reply 7 of 23
    jcat22jcat22 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmini View Post

I am awaiting delivery of a 24", 500GB, 2.4GHz. Kind of freaked out with the reports of freezing - anybody like to share their GOOD new Al iMac experiences here?

Please?

To give me some hope?

\

I have had my 20", 2.4 GHz, 500 GB iMac for a little over a month and have loved every waking moment with it! I have been making movies like a Hong Kong movie house without a glitch (although I'm still using iMovie HD). There has been no freezing, no hickups, no screen problems, my typing seems even faster with the new keyboard, and I think I have even grown back some hair! Enjoy!!!
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcat22 View Post

I have had my 20", 2.4 GHz, 500 GB iMac for a little over a month and have loved every waking moment with it! I have been making movies like a Hong Kong movie house without a glitch (although I'm still using iMovie HD). There has been no freezing, no hickups, no screen problems, my typing seems even faster with the new keyboard, and I think I have even grown back some hair! Enjoy!!!

Cool, glad to hear about your?ah?hair regrowth
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Thanks, great to hear it's that fast! I was wondering if you do anything intensive like heavy Photoshop work, Final Cut Pro editing etc. or if it's just a general purpose light-duty computer for you?

So far it's basically general-purpose stuff, some light Photoshop - what I do at home is mostly Web coding and site work. But one thing it DOES do well is play 1080p movie trailers without breaking a sweat. Which sounds stupid, but when I tried playing them on my old dual-processor G5 at work, the fans would kick in and run so loudly that you couldn't hear the trailer!
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcat22 View Post

I think I have even grown back some hair!

Hair coming out of the ears and nose do not count

BTW- Apple now admits that the iMacs have a freezing issue.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    jcat22jcat22 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyMac8MyPC View Post

Hair coming out of the ears and nose do not count

BTW- Apple now admits that the iMacs have a freezing issue.

Oh . . . now you tell me! It's a terrific computer anyway. BTW, I have had no issues with freezes at all.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    Mine freezes occasionally (one or two times a week), but I use it day and night and I also have Leopard on it now, so that might be a part of it. Anyway, in spite of that, I love it. It's very fast and beautiful looking and I love the new keyboards. I'm fairly confident that Apple will issue some kind of fix for this eventually so it actually doesn't really bug me much.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    We've had a 24" for a couple of weeks now. Gorgeous and trouble free. You're going to love it.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by datamodel View Post

We've had a 24" for a couple of weeks now. Gorgeous and trouble free. You're going to love it.

Really hope so - of course, I still haven't GOT it yet (it's in my local airport but awaiting clearance - DAMN JAMAICAN CUSTOMS REGULATIONS!!!). No, I'm not impatient at all, no siree?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Finally got it on Friday - have spent past 24 hours transferring/reinstalling apps, fonts, etc. Have done some fairly intensive graphic testing (Photoshop cs3, FCP 5.1) and so far FREAKING AWESOME. Coming from a G5 iMac to this - is - incredible. The screen alone is staggering - makes me wonder what a 30" Cinema Display looks like if this is so huge!

Anyway, thanks to all who put in their 2¢ and helped me through the last week - it's worth it!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    no probs with the freezing (i don't recall any, at least)

the high pitched squealing from the speakers is annoying though. hopefully that will be sorted with a software update sometime soon
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Please?

To give me some hope?

\

Mine works great, got it the first day they were released. Hung up on me once, no really issue just reboots and no other problems. The iMac issue appears to be nothing more then a video driver issue which should get fixed. Most of the reports I believe were people using a 3d function in Final Cut Express.

I even do 3D gaming with World of Warcraft without any issues.

So in a few months I had one hang. Other than that its been perfect.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    i have the 2.8 24, had for about 3 weeks. Only hang up i got was when trying to start up a video link on ichat. after that, no problems with anything (including ichat video).

great computer, love the screen.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Please?

To give me some hope?

\

I haven't had any freezes outside of a full screen OpenGL app. Games, however considering a blessing if your desktop comes back up when your done.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Good luck...My 24" Alum Imac was finally declared doa by support after 3 full days of reloading install disks, etc. I am frustrated with Apple support. I'm trying to be objective and not vent, but that is hard to do after $2500 and no satisfaction.