Rumor has Apple hoarding supply of new 3.2GHz Xeons

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Finally, a powerful CPU in the AppleTV.

When should we expect to see these in the iPhone? I guess I am going to wait to purchase...
  • Reply 22 of 109
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

As for a name, I think Apple should play off their name...maybe call it the Braeburn, or Golden Delicious.

Granny Smith of course.

/Adrian
  • Reply 23 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Granny Smith of course.

/Adrian

Or paint it pink and call it the "Pink Lady" and donate the proceeds to the Breast Cancer association.

A pink Mac would satisfy all those "gaymers" out there...surely.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    The oMac...

or

The aMac (Apple-Mac)

the had eMacs, they have iMacs, time for another vowel
  • Reply 25 of 109
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

apple needs a low end mac "workstation"... Strictly a tower no screen for 999-1499..something you can expand that uses desktop class parts...they will not penetrate business with an imac and mac pro is overkill..this is an open gap imo

They can call it simply.... The Mac i guess

There is really no such thing as a low end workstation. It's just a desktop computer.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Apple is also craving tons of Intel's upcoming Yorkfield Extreme chips for its "mainstream boxes." Unfortunately, Apple's mainstream boxes are its iMacs, which are based on mobile chips, and Yorkfield is the successor to the Core 2 Quad (Kentsfield), which is based on a chip family Apple has never used.

Let's hope it all becomes true. If so, I'll take a brand new Quad-core Penryn iMac with a Blue-ray drive.

That would definitely bring back the WOW! factor in the iMac brand. Impress me, Apple!

Go Intel, go!

• Reply 27 of 109
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

The oMac...

or

The aMac (Apple-Mac)

how about uMac urMac?

hail hail xMac!
  • Reply 28 of 109
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Let's hope it becomes true. If so, I'll take a brand new Quad-core Penryn iMac with a Blue-ray drive.

That would definitely bring back the WOW! factor in the iMac brand. Impress me, Apple!

Go Intel, go!

that will be one HOT Machine, desktop CPU parts still rated 65W and more, unless some cooling innovation, it is impossible to put Desktop CPU in iMac, it more looks like xMac!
  • Reply 29 of 109
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Let's hope it all becomes true. If so, I'll take a brand new Quad-core Penryn iMac with a Blue-ray drive.

Go Intel, go!

Obviously you didn't read that correctly. The iMac uses laptop processors. This is not a laptop processor.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Macosrumours .. an even more unreliable source is reporting that the Mac Mini is to be replaced by the Mac Nano in the coming weeks. That would surely leave room in the desktop line up for an xMac.

</pure speculation>

Oh yes, please please please... now THAT would be a geek mental orgasm.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Macosrumours .. an even more unreliable source

Man, every time somebody mention MacOSRumors as a source I want to vomit.

They are good for entertainment if you are bored.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    While Intel will launch Quad-core Extreme edition Penryn desktop processors on November 11, 2007, it will wait until January 2008 to launch mainstream Penryn Quad-core desktop processors destined for iMacs (with better pricing, lower GHz, and less heat). See Digitimes reproduced below:

==========

Intel 45nm desktop processors coming in November

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070928PD207.html

Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES

Friday 28 September 2007

Intel plans to release the first 45nm desktop CPU, the Core 2 Extreme QX9650, on November 11, according to sources at motherboard makers.

The quad-core CPU will offer a frequency of 3.0GHz with 1333MHz FSB and 12MB L2 cache. As is typical for products in the Extreme series, pricing for the CPU will be set at US$999 in 1000-unit tray quantities.

In an update to previous reports, three 45nm quad-core CPUs (Yorkfield) and another three 45nm dual-core CPUs (Wolfdale) for desktops will be launched in January next year, noted the sources.

The three quad-core CPUs will include the Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz, 12MB L2 cache), Q9450 (2.66GHz, 12MB) and Q9300 (2.5GHz, 6MB), with pricing expected at US$530, US$316 and US$266 in 1000-unit tray quantities, respectively.

The three dual-core CPUs will include the Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16GHz, 6MB L2 cache), E8400 (3.0GHz) and E8200 (2.66GHz) priced at US$266, US$183 and US$163 in 1000-unit tray quantities, respectively. Plans also include a fourth dual-core CPU, the E8300 (2.83Ghz, 6MB), but pricing and availability have not yet been set.

All the 45nm desktop CPUs will support Intel Virtualization technology, Intel Trusted Execution technology, Intel Enhanced SpeedStep technology, Intel 64 technology and Execute Disable Bit.

Intel declined the opportunity to respond to this report saying it cannot comment on unannounced products.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

The oMac...

or

The aMac (Apple-Mac)

Apple sMac, smacintosh!
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:

While Intel will launch Quad-core Extreme edition Penryn desktop processors on November 11, 2007, it will wait until January 2008 to launch mainstream Penryn Quad-core desktop processors destined for iMacs (with better pricing, lower GHz, and less heat). See Digitimes reproduced below:

Who cares about quad-core processors, they are far too expensive anyway. Give me dual-core processors at close to 3 GHz for an xMac...
  • Reply 35 of 109
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

apple needs a low end mac "workstation"... Strictly a tower no screen for 999-1499..something you can expand that uses desktop class parts...they will not penetrate business with an imac and mac pro is overkill..this is an open gap imo

They can call it simply.... The Mac i guess

Gee, you really ARE new here.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

*slap*

Be careful, you're becoming slap happy.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Finally, a powerful CPU in the AppleTV.

When should we expect to see these in the iPhone? I guess I am going to wait to purchase...

Double Slap!
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Be careful, you're becoming slap happy.

Quiet, you. *Slaps Melgross*

Heh.

BTW in between all the slapping and S&M did anybody notice

SPELLING:

"custom-configuded 8-Core Mac Pro"

should be

"custom-configured".

Though I would love to play with a custom-configurdedebooitylicchious 16-CoreMacPro BABY!

Just In: It will *still* ship with a 7300GT standard.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Gee, you really ARE new here.

At least he hasn't started any "Apple fanboy-this... etc."
  • Reply 40 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Sorry, to me Apple seems too focused on just upgrading the CPU and the motherboard while continuously overlooking the other important pieces like the graphics and sound cards....

I think we are at a crossroads here, in terms of the graphics. Apple may have segmented out a market where Mac Pros and XServes with 1600mhz FSB, 3GHZ 45nm Quads/Octos, and 16-32GB is important... where individual workstation graphics not so important. We really need more information on this market.