Rumor has Apple hoarding supply of new 3.2GHz Xeons

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I did now, but I'm familiar with the idea of flashing.

You could also snip off a couple of projecting board trace connectors in some cards to get them to work on older machines, but not a good idea either.

Not a very good idea as I'm concerned, as you seem to have pointed out in you post.

Flashing a card is just installing a new BIOS, but the point of it is that BIOS could still offer us more cards, and the question remains. Can you flash install UEFI on a BIOS card?
  • Reply 102 of 109
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Flashing a card is just installing a new BIOS, but the point of it is that BIOS could still offer us more cards, and the question remains. Can you flash install UEFI on a BIOS card?

I've no idea.

It's like the G5 issue. Other companies could have offered upgrades, but never did so. They could also offer x86 upgrades, but aren't doing that either.

What amuses me is that flashing a graphics often resulted in "bricking" the card, as there was no way back if it didn't work, as it didn't with most cards. sometimes a firmware update to the card would "brick" the card later, even if it did work at first.

I don't remember people trying to get the manufacturers to try fixing them. They knew what they were doing was wrong, from the contractual obligation they assumed when buying the cards.

What happened to that attitude torwards the iPhone?

Very strange.
  • Reply 103 of 109
    But if we had BIOS cards (like before) some of the cards would be able to run "plug and play" just like before. That alone gives us some options. And the better the drivers the more cards that could potentially run. It's still a matter that needs fixing, and I just don't see how limiting our options by using only UEFI is helping matters.
  • Reply 104 of 109
    Quote:

...the MacBook and Mac Book Pro are in mid product cycle. The only Mac ready for an update is the Mac Pro, or a new product announcement... the evidence says to me that there will be something, but it wont be a Laptop that we have seen before. Either the long awaited desktop, or a maybe the long awaited convertible tablet... Maybe they will update the Mac Pro, and announce a semi-pro little brother. I just don't see a MacBook coming. Too early.

A look at the Apple Store shows that the MacBook is still showing shipping within 24 hours. The MacBook Pro, though, shows shipping at 1-2 days for the 15" units and 7-10 days for the 17" unit. The Mac Pro, if you make just a single change from its base configuration to the dual quad-core 3.0GHz Xeons, shipping jumps from 1-2 days to 2-4 days.

Therefore, evidence suggest that the MacBook Pro is quite likely to see a refresh w/Leopard... and since there are rumors of Apple hoarding 3.2GHz quad-core Xeons AND coupled with the fact that the Mac Pro hasn't seen an update in quite a while, think that the Mac Pro will also be updated soon.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

The consumer Xmas is a rational expectation. Either the long awaited desktop, or a maybe the long awaited convertible tablet.

How about a new Apple TV? Many hope it will get a bigger HD and that elusive DVD or HD drive?

With rumors about the demise of the mini, I would not be surprised to see the Apple TV and mini get merged into a new Apple TV product. Less powerful than the mini, but more powerful than the current Apple TV. And hopefully gaining the mini's DVD drive at least...

In any case that would qualify very much as a good consumer product ready for the Christmas shopping season.
  • Reply 106 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

How about a new Apple TV? Many hope it will get a bigger HD and that elusive DVD or HD drive?

With rumors about the demise of the mini, I would not be surprised to see the Apple TV and mini get merged into a new Apple TV product. Less powerful than the mini, but more powerful than the current Apple TV. And hopefully gaining the mini's DVD drive at least...

In any case that would qualify very much as a good consumer product ready for the Christmas shopping season.

Actually they gave the Apple TV a bigger HD a month ago.
  • Reply 107 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Actually they gave the Apple TV a bigger HD a month ago.

A little more specifically, they offered a second model with a larger hard drive, so they offer both 40GB and 160GB sizes. The 160GB was offered starting late May.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    I thought they had two from the beginning, but updated the bigger one with an even bigger drive?
  • Reply 109 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I thought they had two from the beginning, but updated the bigger one with an even bigger drive?

They only had the 40GB model at first, and added 160 several weeks later. There were no other sizes.