Will People Ever Learn?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

They owe their shareholders a positive return on investment.

Psst... hey, yea, over here... Apple shares go up when they sell a lot of stuff. They sell a lot of stuff when they make products people want. They make products that people want when we let them know what we expect, and what we really really want. Which is, tangentially, what we are doing here. I know on first-hand knowledge that Apple employees do read these boards.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What on earth are you talking about!?

The iBook and iMac had screen spanning support built in. No extra cost to the consumer. It was there. The hardware supported it. The OS supported it.

Apple actually spent money to add code to the OS that disabled screen spanning in those particular machines. If anything, it would have saved the consumers if Apple had included the feature.

By the way, the MacBook and new iMac do have screen spanning. Apple got smart and stopped deliberately crippling the consumer machines.

Which would explain why Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, and ALL OTHER MOBILE PHONE MANUFACTURERS EXCEPT APPLE allow you to dump an MP3 or MIDI file on the phone to use as a ringtone (as long as the phone has connectivity).

So out of hundreds of mobile phone manufacturers, ONE of them is the music industry's bitch? No. It deosn't work that way. Apple can legally, without repercussions from the record industry, allow the iPhone to use any MP3 file as a ringtone. They can. But they don't. Because THEY want profit. It has NOTHING to do with the record companies.

Ringtones , heck , if that so easy , then explain to me why iTunes won't let me make ringtones out of music that I ripped out of my own CDs? Would it be much simpler to have Apple sell as a 10 dollar software or even free software to convert the music I like into ringtones , but the issue is content , I don't know much about Hong Kong , but the Music industry here is very possessive about it's content( which they really don't own at the first place ) and profits even those they don't even deserve. To make it easy for you , read about Universal's campaign against Apple in regards to the music store . The profits we are talking about here is the Music industry , not Apple

About the new imac and the Macbook, again how many people use the full features of the machines , Heck , if Apple really wanted to advertise that dual monitor feature so much , they could have added a much more better graphic card in those consumer products that would not only be useful for dual monitors , but also in games perhaps . Perhaps Apple don't want their consumer offerings poaching profits from their professional products .
  • Reply 23 of 37
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Welcome to the board.

It's not to hard for *anyone* to see that Apple crippled the touch... it runs the same damn OS as the iPhone (remember the first ones with the iPhone screens?) and there is no technical reason that it cannot run simple apps like notes and a useful calendar app. It was done this way- on purpose. I have called AAPL sales twice about this and what do I get? A read-from-the-book regurgitation of "have you considered the iPhone?" Hell yes, who hasn't? The reality is that AT&T coverage in my area sucks, I already have a phone, and would gladly give Apple whatever price they asked for if they would simply let the thing be as useful as it *could* be. They are not game for that, at least at this point. They downgraded the touch in hopes of selling more iPhone.

As far as me and shetline, our opinion is worth exactly what yours is- one voice. I really don't care what my opinion means to you... as you said, you rarely post. I'm very proud of you for being Mr. Happy about your iPod. All the better, and my AAPL stock thanks you. I have been through the fire, as many here have, buying Macs in the days when we did not know if the company would exist in six months, er uh, a Freidman Unit. Apple has a long tradition of giving people the utility they want, creating the most useful products they can, and generating sales that way. Hamstringing one product to sell another is a fairly recent move for them. I do not expect the touch to be a computer... but the technology is built-in for simple apps. It's just locked away from users.

And as far as directing your "you see" and "jack shit" and "prove it" and "start your own company" at me as if I have insulted your mother, sit down and take a long, deep breath. As people progress in the platform and maturity, they generally outgrow the kneejerk fanboi apologetics on behalf of Apple. Such behaviour is the inevitable afterbirth of the Cult of Mac.

I'm a consumer, and a crippled touch does not do it for me and a whole bunch of other people. So many that Apple deleted the support threads about it. As a shareholder, I want Apple to give people what they want and make a shitload of money doing it. As a user, I'm not happy with Apple creating *almost* a product that I would find extremely useful in my life, but making the decision to degrade that usefulness.

Just because they run the same OS and have the same design does not mean they will have the same capabilities or to be much more brutally honest , what the manufacturer really envisioned those devices will be in the Future especially when those two devices are a 1.0 release . I rather have them do the fine tuning now and have everything stabilized under the hood . And oh btw , the coverage in my area goes between it's awesome to no signal at any given day . So you are not the only one having this problem .

Yes , our opinions are only one , but the problem is , yours are the loudest and for those who are looking for an honest opinion of the iPhone and the Touch will naturally gravitate to those which are the loudest . Those posters who are offering an honest even evaluation of the products gets buried under and that is unfair for those readers . And BTW , my Apple stock is also doing fine , Thank you .

Simple apps are nice to use from third party developers , but as of yet , until Apple release an SDK , no thanks . Most of us who use these two products would rather wait and see before jumping in blindly to embrace third party apps even if they are useful . Hell , truth be told , alot of us in the health profession wanted an iPhone app that can give us instant access to lab results , medical literature and others . It would be so useful but until then , we have to wait .

Sorry , I am neither Fanboi nor a member of the Mac Cult . I just like their products . If they don't meet my needs , I go to another or wait because I have a choice to choose what is best for me . A Fanboi and a cultist don't have any choice and brains for that to matter .The reason why I choose the iPhone because I want to check my email and surf the web to check some sites and want a reliable phone at the same time and I did not get the Touch because it did not have the storage capacity to put all my pictures in along with my music . You see in the end , its all up to you . As a consumer , if it does not meet my needs , I don't justify calling the product crippled because it does not meet your needs . I just don't buy it and let it go . It is a sign of maturity , try it sometime .
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

Just because they run the same OS and have the same design does not mean they will have the same capabilities or to be much more brutally honest , what the manufacturer really envisioned those devices will be in the Future especially when those two devices are a 1.0 release . I rather have them do the fine tuning now and have everything stabilized under the hood .

Same OS= same software. Omission of that software is not done because it is buggy- it works well enough to ship on a multi-hundred dollar iPhone. It is omitted for one... simple... reason: to reduce the functionality of the device so as to be able to give the iPhone sales pitch.

Quote:

And oh btw , the coverage in my area goes between it's awesome to no signal at any given day . So you are not the only one having this problem .

Well, that makes me feel better. No, wait, it doesn't, I still have to buy a phone that does not work well to get basic features that have been purposefully omitted from a less expensive device.

Quote:

Yes , our opinions are only one , but the problem is , yours are the loudest and for those who are looking for an honest opinion of the iPhone and the Touch will naturally gravitate to those which are the loudest . Those posters who are offering an honest even evaluation of the products gets buried under and that is unfair for those readers .

Unfair? To point out Apple's obvious strategy to push iPhone sales? It's called the rest of the story... I consider it a free education. Do you realize how many pre-orders were cancelled because of the Calendar/Notes bait-and-switch? Did you read the Apple boards?

And BTW- Loudest? Loudest? Where did you get that from and how *exactly* do you quantify that? WTF?

Quote:

And BTW , my Apple stock is also doing fine , Thank you .

Seems to me that self-interest would dictate that you'd want a device that would sell as many as possible. Apparently not.

Quote:

Sorry , I am neither Fanboi nor a member of the Mac Cult . I just like their products . If they don't meet my needs , I go to another or wait because I have a choice to choose what is best for me .

YOU like their products. Fine. I DO NOT like this particular crippled product. And yes, choice is at the center of the matter. How exactly do you think that Apple came up with products that meet the needs you have? They paid a lot in market research and listened to customer feedback. Progress happens when people speak up. You're welcome.

Quote:

As a consumer , if it does not meet my needs , I don't justify calling the product crippled because it does not meet your needs . I just don't buy it and let it go

Why, again, doesn't it meet my needs? Because it can't physically do it? Because the technology is not there yet? No- because it is (wait for it... wait for it... ) CRIPPLED!

Quote:

It is a sign of maturity , try it sometime .

Listen {edit}, I'll say whatever I please (THE TOUCH IS A CRIPPLED DEVICE) to whoever (this board, prospective buyers, and Apple sales) I want. You are tickled with your iPod- goody for you. I'm disappointed and sharing that disappointment is one way that companies get the feedback that helps them answer what the market wants. If it is "just me" then Apple will call me nuts, not change anything, and that will be it. If they listen to a bunch of people, yours truly among them, then maybe they'll change their stance.

And here's a tip- If you choose to address someone, especially someone who you have not addressed previously, try to not start with the "you see" and "jack shit" and all that rather base garbage... this is an iPod we're talking about. I'm used to reading your tone in PO posts- just not over here in the iPod forum- lecturing shetline and me. You obviously have a hot-button for someone attacking "your" computer maker. This is not a personal discussion, so talk to the issue and not at me.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    "THE TOUCH IS A CRIPPLED DEVICE"

I'm holding off until after Leopard launches before I say this. I believe that Apple intended for Leopard to come out first, then the iPhone followed by the iPod Touch. Thus I believe that both the iPhone and the Touch will have feature sets that greatly depend on Leopard. But because of Leopards' delay, Apple had to either create a workaround or do without. -- I hope that this is the case with the calendar and the Touch. Apple was willing to create a several month workaround for the phone but not a one month workaround for the Touch.

Another thing, Apple evolves incrementally, not evolutionary. Apple first decides what a product minimally must have, gets that done right and then builds from there. The iPhone, the Touch and the AppleTV are 1.0 products. Apple is teaching itself how to do these product lines. Once it is happy that it has done what it has intended right it will go on from there or quit that product line.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

"THE TOUCH IS A CRIPPLED DEVICE"

I'm holding off until after Leopard launches before I say this. I believe that Apple intended for Leopard to come out first, then the iPhone followed by the iPod Touch. Thus I believe that both the iPhone and the Touch will have feature sets that greatly depend on Leopard. But because of Leopards' delay, Apple had to either create a workaround or do without. -- I hope that this is the case with the calendar and the Touch. Apple was willing to create a several month workaround for the phone but not a one month workaround for the Touch.

They just needed to keep a simple setting the same instead of changing it. They chose to change it to cripple the Touch. Period.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

They just needed to keep a simple setting the same instead of changing it. They chose to change it to cripple the Touch. Period.

Or as one poster speculated, Apple discovered a bug and chose to disable the feature instead of fixing it. I'll still wait until Leopard comes out before saying the Touch is crippled.

Maybe somebody knows the answer. In the referenced thread a poster asked if the 'hacked' Touch would sync changes back to the parent Mac. He did not get an answer. Does anybody here know if a 'hacked' Touch calendar syncs changes back into its parent Mac?
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

And your argument about the record industry is totally baseless. Motorola is an American company making cell phones that you can drag and drop any MP3 or MIDI file to to use as a ringtone. The record companies are not restricting Motorola's feature set. Why would they restrict Apple's?

Motorola doesn't depend on the music labels, Apple does. What happens if the music labels get mad at Motorola, nothing. They have no leverage and Motorola can do what it wants. Now if music labels get mad at Apple they can take their music and go away. This would leave Apple with a store and nothing to sell. Apple can't afford this and the music labels have leverage to get Apple to do what they want.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

To make it easy for you

Uh-oh, tonton, looks like you are getting "schooled" like shetline and me.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    while the word "crippling" sounds harsh - yes, apple does cut down certain features in their products (and so does anybody else in the industrie).

you would be suprised what kind of features your <insert any electronic device here> had, if the manufacturer popped in one more ic (for 50 cents) or soldered one more cable to the board (or wrote a couple of lines more code).

fact is: apple is in the business to make money (and cool products).
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peve View Post

fact is: apple is in the business to make money (and cool products).

Make money- right. So you think apple is making the bet that you can convert a $300 buyer to a $2500 buyer by omitting features at $300? That's a big swing. And not everyone wants to work with AT&T.

I'd say that the conversion rate is rather low, compared to the mass appeal the device WOULD have if it only had a few more basic apps that we all know that it could easily handle.

Quote:

you would be suprised what kind of features your <insert any electronic device here> had, if the manufacturer popped in one more ic (for 50 cents) or soldered one more cable to the board (or wrote a couple of lines more code).

Um, this is as simple as loading existing apps. Not ground-up coding, or soldering, or anything that hard. It's software, and it's already functional in the wild. Only needs to be loaded onto a fully-functional device.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    Quote:

Make money- right. So you think apple is making the bet that you can convert a $300 buyer to a $2500 buyer by omitting features at $300? That's a big swing. And not everyone wants to work with AT&T.

i'm pretty sure apple desides things like that on a daily base.

and they are doing pretty good business (the way they do things today).

i'm not saying i like it.

but that is the way things work.

Quote:

Um, this is as simple as loading existing apps. Not ground-up coding, or soldering, or anything that hard. It's software, and it's already functional in the wild. Only needs to be loaded onto a fully-functional device.

i was talking generaly here.

the point is, many companies do business "that way".
  • Reply 33 of 37
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Amen!

There is NO REASON why an iPod touch can't have calendar-editing capability...except that Apple wants it that way.

Hack on, my friends. Hack on.

I agree with this. Apple should open these nice machines up so we can load what ever apps we want on them.

My guess is that somebody would write a nice PDA app for it and I don't think Apple likes this idea. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple comes out with a PDA that doesn't have a phone. I bet they want us to buy at least two of these things. This bugs me because they could have made the iPhone to also have a nice PDA app in it along with the ability to have 3rd party apps. The thing (in my opinion) should be open like a computer is.