Apple launches official iPhone, iPod touch Web apps directory

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday afternoon launched as part of its website an official directory of iPhone and iPod touch Web applications, reinforcing its stance that third-party developers should focus their developmental efforts on Web 2.0 applications that function only under the embedded version of its Safari browser.

The move, anticipated by AppleInsider earlier this week, underscores the Cupertino-based firm's commitment to maintaining the security and integrity of its mobile Mac OS X platform by disallowing native application development by anyone other than itself.

The new applications directory, fashioned after the company's official Dashboard widget list, includes over 200 third-party Web-based applications optimized for either the iPhone or iPod touch -- which share a similar hardware makeup.

The Apple directory breaks applications down into categories such as Games, News, Sports and Weather. Each application listing provides a short description of that application's function, the name of its developer, associated web addresses, and the date the application was approved and posted to the official company list.

Apple encourages developers to submit their Web applications to the directory and provide feedback on the current concept. The company also provides a guide explaining how developers can get started writing Web applications for the iPhone and iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Thanks Apple.

<fart noise>

• Reply 2 of 36
    im glad they have this directory now!

But i noticed some of the links dont work or link to the wrong page\

the graphing calculator one in particular
  • Reply 3 of 36
    so with my iPod touch i can only check my "to do" list if i have wifi access? what about all the other time, doesnt apple get it that NO ONE wants web apps, theyre slow and you can only run them if your on the net, aaargh apple listen to your customers, unless youve got something else planned stop blocking others from doing it right!
  • Reply 4 of 36
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wingrove View Post

so with my iPod touch i can only check my "to do" list if i have wifi access? what about all the other time, doesnt apple get it that NO ONE wants web apps, theyre slow and you can only run them if your on the net, aaargh apple listen to your customers, unless youve got something else planned stop blocking others from doing it right!

Yeah, no doubt. Let the user decide if they want Web 2.0 apps or native apps. We want a free market for the iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    its nice knowing whats available. I'm all for this.

i was looking around and noticed an app called jkPassword.... SEEMS SPOOKY to me. hehe... Is apple ensuring that the web apps are safe? I guess thats all up to the end users discretion.

• Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah, no doubt. Let the user decide if they want Web 2.0 apps or native apps. We want a free market for the iPhone.

I second the motion.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Yawn. Nobody wants web apps.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Just tried out their web apps, they SUCK! Thankfully I'm sitting at home in my nice wi-fi environment. I want REAL apps!!!
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Totally hilarious.

People proclaimed that traditional Client/Server apps were passe and now all we see is people bitching for REAL applications.

What Real Apps do you want?

IM?

Quicken Lite?

What?
  • Reply 10 of 36
    So, no one is allowed to write native apps (except Apple.)

No one is allowed to switch networks.

We are, however, welcome to run web apps on iPhone's Safari over AT&T's miserably, excrutiatingly shoot-me-in-the-face-slow EDGE network.

Ugh.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

So, no one is allowed to write native apps (except Apple.)

No one is allowed to switch networks.

We are, however, welcome to run web apps on iPhone's Safari over AT&T's miserably, excrutiatingly shoot-me-in-the-face-slow EDGE network.

Ugh.

yeah, imagine that, it's EXACTLY like you were told it would be LONG before it was released.

i bet you bitch at the clouds when it rains, too.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

yeah, imagine that, it's EXACTLY like you were told it would be LONG before it was released.

i bet you bitch at the clouds when it rains, too.

I was told how awful EDGE was months before the phone was released?? Huh, I don't remember that. Well, color me corrected.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

I was told how awful EDGE was months before the phone was released?? Huh, I don't remember that. Well, color me corrected.

the iphone is class 12 edge device, so:

your best case scenario is a transfer rate of 236.8 Kbps for download and 59.2 Kbps for upload.

not too bad, the problem is latency. [how long it takes your phone to send a request for data to ATT's server, and how long it takes that server to get back to your phone.

i guess i just assumed that everyone spending 600 bucks on a piece of hardware that they KNOW uses a slower network is going to research exactly what that means before they drop 6 bills.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I liken this to a street walker trying to pitch something you don't want. Further you really don't want to take on the dangers of taking that pitch.

This is how I see Apple, at least with respect to real apps, they are a corporation that is pitching a product that most rational people don't want. Even if you drink the cool aid and buy into their vision, there is still the issue of what you get with this pitch. It might not cause anything to rot off, but potentially could cause you life long grief.

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 36
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the iphone is class 12 edge device, so:

your best case scenario is a transfer rate of 236.8 Kbps for download and 59.2 Kbps for upload.

not too bad, the problem is latency. [how long it takes your phone to send a request for data to ATT's server, and how long it takes that server to get back to your phone.

i guess i just assumed that everyone spending 600 bucks on a piece of hardware that they KNOW uses a slower network is going to research exactly what that means before they drop 6 bills.

I'd check the latency of higher speed networks as they often increase throughput at the expense of higher latency. Too many people look at the wrong spec. and with multiple users in the cell all checking out the latest videos a data system which doesn't pretend to be all that good may be the better option. Especially if the product and network have a symbiotic alignment because of, let's say, a tie-in

McD
  • Reply 16 of 36
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

We will decide, if we don't want a phone with Web2 Apps, we won't buy the iPhone. I want a useful product by the time it gets here, not a free market concept that's failed so badly on the so-called 'smart' phones. Steve would have to be an idiot to emulate failure.

I thought we got over this free-market rubbish with the Mac isn't it PC users that have a thousand choices, none of them good?

McD
  • Reply 17 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Totally hilarious.

People proclaimed that traditional Client/Server apps were passe and now all we see is people bitching for REAL applications.

What Real Apps do you want?

IM?

Quicken Lite?

What?

What I'm talking about is things like Chess. I love to play Chess and I want it on my iPhone. They have a webapp for it, I just played it. Its horribly slow even over my 802.11N. They need it right on the phone itself, among other things.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

I thought we got over this free-market rubbish with the Mac isn't it PC users that have a thousand choices, none of them good?

McD

Perfect sentence. Thanks.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    I would honestly be happy if they just let flash on and made their own screen sharing service.