Mac mini nears End-of-Life; Leopard GM target; more...

Comments

• Reply 61 of 151
    takeotakeo Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teejaysplace24 View Post

The Mac-In-A-Keyboard thing is actually a cool idea

So what if you don't like the keyboard action? What if you have a favorite keyboard you like? What if you don't want to pay extra for a keyboard if you already have one? I don't know... on the one hand... I think it's kinda cool... but in reality... it would probably be exceedingly lame.

And from what I've read on other sites... the Mac Mini is not going away... it's being replaced by the Mac Nano. A smaller Mini with a completely new case design.
  • Reply 62 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

So what if you don't like the keyboard action? What if you have a favorite keyboard you like? What if you don't want to pay extra for a keyboard if you already have one? I don't know... on the one hand... I think it's kinda cool... but in reality... it would probably be exceedingly lame.

And from what I've read on other sites... the Mac Mini is not going away... it's being replaced by the Mac Nano. A smaller Mini with a completely new case design.

Agreed.

...and for Ireland's benefit a Mac Nano would leave a gap in the desktop family...,
  • Reply 63 of 151
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,729member
    How about a Mac mini with a flash-based HDD instead of a platter? Or at last an option for it.

I kinda like the computer-in-the-keyboard idea. One has to have a keyboard on one's desk, but why have a separate box? It would be al-la C64, but doesn't have to be that thick or even look like that. Slot-loading DVD on the side, USB ports on the other side and/or the back.

The mini is one of Apple's in-roads to the PC world. I don't think they would kill it without a replacement. Not everyone wants an iMac.
  • Reply 64 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    People are freaking out that the Mac mini is dying, but what they are missing is that it's only dying in it's current form. There'll be a newer, smaller, better looking mini to replace it. Now go relax with that pleasant thought
  • Reply 65 of 151
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

What you are describing is, except for the PCI slots and the two instead of four drives, a Mac Pro.

In short you want a Mac Pro in an enclosure a quarter of its size, fanless and probably for half the price.

Bingo! And its name is "Mac miniTOWER". ;-)
  • Reply 66 of 151
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The current Mini going EOL is extremely good news for the platform.

The replacement can be reworked to offer user-replaceable hard drive, RAM and graphics for a couple hundred dollars more. Or the low end can be abandoned entirely to the Apple TV, and a $1500-$1700 version of the Mac Pro can be introduced.

My only concern is that whichever road is taken, it needs to happen fast.

The Christmas buying season is almost upon us.
  • Reply 67 of 151
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I agree with you, though my feeling is if apple doesn't release anything on oct 26th, it will be jan before anything is updated. Even though they are hoarding the next xeon penryn chips (harpertown), I have a strong feeling they won't use them till jan . I hope I'm wrong.
  • Reply 68 of 151
    Personally I'm hoping that Apple delivers some very nice surprises when Leopard is released, and that would include the successor to the Mac mini. I'm one that believes the mini is the perfect switcher Mac for those on a tight budget and have a hard time seeing Apple walk away from this market - especially with the "iPhone halo effect" joining the iPod halo effect.

As soon as Leopard gets its GM tag I'm hoping that Apple starts production of some new Macs that make us drool and the mini & Pro might well be the first out the gate, with more to come at MWSF 08.

For me, I'm just going to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.
  • Reply 69 of 151
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It would probably be smart for Apple to go with the highest margin updates first (which would be a Mac Pro update) and then bring in the Mini's lower margin replacement in January.

However, this is Apple we're talking about, so all bets are off.
  • Reply 70 of 151
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Bingo! And its name is "Mac miniTOWER". ;-)

And I want a 15" MBP that is half as thick and weighs half as much as the current one. And that costs less. And they can leave out the Express-Card slot if they feel like. Let's call it MBP mini.
  • Reply 71 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

You are on crack if that's what u think. There are so many under the hood changes. The GUI stuff is the least of the features. It's just what everyone notices first.

Unless you have a copy already you don't truly know if it meets your needs or not or if it offers anything you actually need. Your just spouting BS.
  • Reply 72 of 151
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

It's a lot harder to make something like an iPhone water proof than something like a camera.

Any device that has an external button, jack or in this case a speaker, can at best, be water resistant to a certain depth or pressure. Water proof is near impossible. Like my video camera, an accessory for under water use might be practical if there is enough demand but a feature like that is rarely built-in for consumer electronics. Do you think there might be a class action suit in the making here?

BTW Kasper, thanks for not posting all of those recent lawsuit articles.
  • Reply 73 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The Mac mini is the best Mac ever sold by Apple. Why? Because it is quiet, yet powerful.

I only hope that if the Mac mini is discontinued, Apple will offer an alternative. And, better yet, a true Mac mini tower (if possible, fanless and with the option of Solid-State hard disk inside):

THE MAC mini TOWER (my dream Mac):

45 nm quad-core processor. Option for 2-quad-core chips (octo-core).

4 GB RAM for quad-core model. 8 GB RAM for octo-core model (thus, 1 GB RAM per core).

Solid-State disk inside (optional). Option for two disks inside (possibility to run it as RAID 1 mirroring for the ultimate safe backup on real time!)

eSATA II ports (4) - Not shared as a hub but independent ones!

FireWire 800 ports (4) - Not shared as a hub but independent ones!

USB 2 ports (4) - Not shared as a hub but independent ones!

NO PCI lots. Save on that!

SuperDrive slot on the side (not on top like the Mac Cube had, which collects dust!). Option for Blu-ray drive. Option for two SuperDrives.

Bootable from fast external 1TB disks or larger (via eSATA II and FireWire 800).

Connector for one gorgeous Apple Cinema Display 23-inch.

Fanless (if possible) or at least extremely quiet (bedroom quiet!).

Any chance, Apple? I will pay any price for this marvel. But if it is to become a best-seller, the price should be just right.

so you want a system with 2 quad cpus and 8 gb of sever ram or ram with low end on board video?

make it have 2 pci-e slots x16 x4 or x16 x16 also make then 2 slots wide to fit big cards in.
  • Reply 74 of 151
    ffulfful Posts: 6member
    Steve Jobs has been obsessed, thankfully, with small desktops for quite a while. The only way the Mini is going away is if it's replaced with something smaller and/or better.

It's too bad some rumor sites, like AppleInsider, almost sound like they WANT the Mini to go away! I guess predict something long enough, and eventually it may happen.
  • Reply 75 of 151
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Unless you have a copy already you don't truly know if it meets your needs or not or if it offers anything you actually need. Your just spouting BS.

Um, ever heard of developer releases?
  • Reply 76 of 151
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I'm ADC, I've been using it since the 06 WWDC, at which I attended. I went to the local leopard tech talks, and I went to WWDC 07. I have used every ADC build. You shouldn't assume so much.
  • Reply 77 of 151
    takeotakeo Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

Ha! Do you actually believe anything they say? If this ad-galore site gets anything right it will just be by mere luck, and not by some insider information they don't have.

Don't know. Honestly haven't read that site in YEARS! I just happened to drop in the other day for the heck of it... and also just to see if they even still existed. Still... it's in interesting rumor.
  • Reply 78 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

If you have to tell everyone that something is 'common sense', then it probably isn't.

great line....
  • Reply 79 of 151
    nearly all new cell phones have those water sensors, and there is normally more than one of them, there is usually one or two inside on the pcb too.
  • Reply 80 of 151
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

great line....

Common sense: the less common of the senses!