What fixes/additions would you most like to see in OS 10.2?

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    What advantage does SQL have over the Be system of MIME data, or Apple's HFS+?
  • Reply 102 of 110
    so much for flood control. oops.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 103 of 110
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>What advantage does SQL have over the Be system of MIME data, or Apple's HFS+?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Read this story comparing BeOS and Mac OS X for what I mean:

<a href="http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=421"; target="_blank">http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=421</a>;

- Imagine email stored in a universal metadata format that can be read by ANY and ALL email readers without having to translate back and forth. In fact, imagine if you could sort your emails right on the Finder by author, name, time, etc. (you can even make up your own categories in BeOS' filesystem)

- Imagine when you open your mp3 drive/folder, you see not just the filename - in fact, you don't even have to see the filname - you see the song name (in FULL), artist, time, bit rate, etc. and sort among those categories.

- Imagine being able to do find within finds, advanced finding techniques that are as powerful as SQL queries (because they ARE in fact SQL queries)

I think that Scott McNealy got it wrong when it said that the network is the computer. IMO, the DATABASE is the computer. We as users use applications but it is time for the application based model to be replaced by a database driven model imo.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    [quote]Originally posted by SYN:

<strong>I'd also like Mail.app to offer the option of stripping files of their resource forks... My friends have had it with receiving 200k files that they can't use just because I sent them a 20k .jpg, from the world's most advanced OS....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Some Mail preferences could be more logical (e.g. I don't think Saving Sent & Unsent Mail options belong in Composing). Rules could use more conditions (and be more Eudora like); and the current ones don't always work, (for me anyway, any one else experience that)?
  • Reply 105 of 110
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>...I feel most strongly about the windowshade...double click on the title bar should windowshade.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I see some sentiment for it and I liked it at first myself. Maybe i just never learned to manage them. But even as i shrunk and minimized them, they just seemed to litter and crowd the screen for me.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    [quote]Originally posted by yablaka:

<strong>

Some Mail preferences could be more logical (e.g. I don't think Saving Sent & Unsent Mail options belong in Composing). Rules could use more conditions (and be more Eudora like); and the current ones don't always work, (for me anyway, any one else experience that)?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i' d add to that ease of finding sent messages. just sent 3 to the same address and can't find any of them. it's not me, well, that's a remote possibility , but not likely

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: yablaka ]</p>
  • Reply 107 of 110
    This might be a little thing but I'd like to see Sherlock added to the Apple menu. Finding files is a universal thing and it's cumbersome to click on the Finder in the dock which may show Finder windows I don't want to see. I could keep Sherlock in the Dock but it's an extra icon and Sherlock seems more like a utility or system function than a program. Put Find in the Apple Menu and have it be in memory all the time. I never understood why it's a separate program rather than part of the OS. It's used constantly.