Leopard system requirements, upgrade options, and discounts

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Drat! (And actually, that's what I figured...my "no" was in reference to my 2nd question.) Thanks for the info.

Well, there is nothing stopping you from 'slipstreaming' SP2 onto an XP or XP SP1 CD. This is not officially supported by Apple, but I have heard many reports that this works fine.

YMMV...

FYI - Paul Thurrott's SuperSite has a good tutorial of how to do this (assuming you know your way around a Windows machine).

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
  • Reply 43 of 91
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petrokalis View Post

Well, there is nothing stopping you from 'slipstreaming' SP2 onto an XP or XP SP1 CD. This is not officially supported by Apple, but I have heard many reports that this works fine.

YMMV...

FYI - Paul Thurrott's SuperSite has a good tutorial of how to do this (assuming you know your way around a Windows machine).

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

Sweet! Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking about getting an Intel mini when 10.5 is out (replace a G4 mini), but shelling out $300 to install Windows on a $600 computer just seemed kind of silly.
  • Reply 44 of 91
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolmac View Post

What I don't get with Apple and MacMall is both say order for delivery on Oct 26th but do you have to choose the most expensive overnight shipping to actually receive it on Oct 26th? Amazon says this product ships on Oct. 26th.

I'm doing the free shipping. From what I remember, Tiger was delivered on the release date by Amazon. If I get it a few days later, no big deal.
  • Reply 45 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Up to five years old is fair, IMO.

Ok. What I really meant by that was the version of the machine. With the change to Intel, older PPC machine age faster in terms of performance, so less time will have passed before the machine becomes to weak to perform well.

The big problem now is the Core functions being executed on the GPU.

The older GPU's available for the G$'s were much weaker in programmable performance than more recent boards. That will throw much work back onto the CPU, causing major slowdowns. Even weaker GPU's today are much better than the 9800 Pro board in my old Digital Audio model, even though that was a pretty high end board for the Mac back in the day.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    Quote:

Sweet! Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking about getting an Intel mini when 10.5 is out (replace a G4 mini), but shelling out $300 to install Windows on a $600 computer just seemed kind of silly.

Slipstreaming worked fine on my MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo. Of course, you need a Windows computer to do the slipstream, but it only took an hour or so and like I said, it worked perfectly.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    I bought a Macbook Pro three and a half weeks ago, so I phoned the UK Applestore to ask for a discount and they offered me Leopard for £50 off the list price, which I thought was pretty fair.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ok. What I really meant by that was the version of the machine. With the change to Intel, older PPC machine age faster in terms of performance, so less time will have passed before the machine becomes to weak to perform well.

The big problem now is the Core functions being executed on the GPU.

The older GPU's available for the G$'s were much weaker in programmable performance than more recent boards. That will throw much work back onto the CPU, causing major slowdowns. Even weaker GPU's today are much better than the 9800 Pro board in my old Digital Audio model, even though that was a pretty high end board for the Mac back in the day.

Yeah. I'm still gonna go with five years.

Regardless of the technical reasons (or excuses, depending on PoV), ppl still don't want their machines cut out of the upgrade cycle too quickly. That's one of the knocks on Vista, after all.

We really CAN'T have it both ways... it can't be "Well, that's because Macs have a longer useful lifespan!" in response to complaints about how Macs are more expensive than PCs, while at the same time shouting "Upgrade your damn Jurassic era Mac!" when someone complains that the machine they bought new only three years ago is cut out of the Leopard loop. \

• Reply 49 of 91
    Re: the specs:

Does the 9 gigs required for installation come BACK after the installation is finished? How much more space goes poof when the new OS is installed? I can't really believe that the system is 9 gigs - BIGGER - than the one that's already installed - but then I don't know how much you really define size with any of these installs ANYWAY considering you've got libraries, the system, and the apps it comes with...
  • Reply 50 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgabrys View Post

Re: the specs:

Does the 9 gigs required for installation come BACK after the installation is finished? How much more space goes poof when the new OS is installed? I can't really believe that the system is 9 gigs - BIGGER - than the one that's already installed - but then I don't know how much you really define size with any of these installs ANYWAY considering you've got libraries, the system, and the apps it comes with...

Most of it comes back. It's needed for swap files during the install.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yeah. I'm still gonna go with five years.

Regardless of the technical reasons (or excuses, depending on PoV), ppl still don't want their machines cut out of the upgrade cycle too quickly. That's one of the knocks on Vista, after all.

We really CAN'T have it both ways... it can't be "Well, that's because Macs have a longer useful lifespan!" in response to complaints about how Macs are more expensive than PCs, while at the same time shouting "Upgrade your damn Jurassic era Mac!" when someone complains that the machine they bought new only three years ago is cut out of the Leopard loop. \

Three years is a reasonable and healthy life span if you're a creative pro.

If you want to hang on your computer for 5+ years, then you probably won't be bothered by not having the latest and the greatest.
  • Reply 52 of 91
    Great discouns, but what about the European buyers ?

I've bought my iMac a few weeks ago through the Dutch Apple Store online, will I qualify for the discount ?
  • Reply 53 of 91
    I just bought an iMac yesterday at a certified reseller in Belgium. I'm also wondering what the up-to-date policy is outside of the US and Canada. Would be nice to get an upgrade for something like 10 euros instead of having to buy it for full price.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    I've contacted the Dutch Apple Store Support and they confirmed that this offer is also available for European customers.

Just change the URL http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ to the site in your country.

For the Netherlands it will be: http://www.apple.com/nl/macosx/uptodate/
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tygernoot View Post

I just bought an iMac yesterday at a certified reseller in Belgium. I'm also wondering what the up-to-date policy is outside of the US and Canada. Would be nice to get an upgrade for something like 10 euros instead of having to buy it for full price.

To "Tygernoot" and the other guys wondering about international eligibility for 10.5 upgrades, I was wondering the same thing.

I bought an iMac on oct. 02. in Denmark, and could not find an Apple "up-to-date" page at the .dk site.

On a whim and being optimistic I tried the following:

at the "original" up-to-date page

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

I just inserted "dk/" into the url to get, - success

http://www.apple.com/dk/macosx/uptodate/

So, - you might like this url

http://www.apple.com/benl/macosx/uptodate/

-or this, if you are so inclined,

http://www.apple.com/befr/macosx/uptodate/
  • Reply 56 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rlvdijk View Post

I've contacted the Dutch Apple Store Support and they confirmed that this offer is also available for European customers.

Just change the URL http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ to the site in your country.

For the Netherlands it will be: http://www.apple.com/nl/macosx/uptodate/

@ rlvdijk:

Ooops, I got cought up on the phone, didn't see your reply to this thread.

Well well, now we know for sure international customers are welcome,

not always the case with Apple, or?
  • Reply 57 of 91
    Strange... Amazon UK don't appear to list Leopard at all... I'm sure they used to but searching for Leopard now just brings up a whole list of books - if anyone could point me at the item itself I'd be most grateful, seems we're not going to get any discount here

Just as an aside, does the family license cover multiple locations or is it all machines in one house?
  • Reply 58 of 91
    Quote:

I'm going to guess the answer is "no", but for those of you familiar with Boot Camp's XP SP2 requirement...does it have to be an SP2 install disc? Or can I install the earlier version XP from the disc I have and then install the SP2 update?

This won't have changd from Boot Camp beta. You need an XP SP2 install CD.

An original XP or XP SP1 will not work, but there is a procedure called "slipstreaming" which can be used to burn a SP2 install CD from an earlier one. I don't know the details, and I expect it would have to be done on a PC with the right software. Try doing a Google search for "XP slipstream".
  • Reply 59 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post

I recently became an ADC Select member. Does anyone know when members receive the shipping version of Leopard? Is it included with the normal monthly mailings?

I was a Select member back in the Jaguar era. The new system release CD turned up with the monthly mailings. They might have occasionally done a special mailing to get a major release to ADC members earlier.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    Thanks for the info rlvdijk and tinker. Only one week to go before Leopard. I'm curious to see it in action.