New Apple Cinema Display?

2456710

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 193
    The only feature I am caring about is the panel. We all know ACD now is using IPS or S-IPS. So I really do not like apple changing the panel for ACD like they did on iMac. But we will see. If the panel changing really happens, I will have to choose the old one from ebay or somewhere else. That will be sad!
  • Reply 22 of 193
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    My guess is that with the next ACD lineup you will see



    20" -Hopefully HD 1080

    24"- 2560x1600 (WQXGA)

    30" -2560x1600 (WQXGA)



    Better backpanel lighting. Higher contrast and new design. I don't see the resolution getting any higher because you already need dual link TMDS receivers for the 2560x1600 rez. What's needed to effectively take advantage of Resolution Independence is higher PPI which is why I think the 20" is going to 1920x1080 and the 24" is going 2560x1600.
  • Reply 23 of 193
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    If Apple offer a 24" ACD with 2560x1600, I'll buy one -- if it doesn't cost more than $2000.
  • Reply 24 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post


    If Apple offer a 24" ACD with 2560x1600, I'll buy one -- if it doesn't cost more than $2000.



    If the new ACD is 24" with 2560x1600, then "mac nano" will be out-of-date for the ACD!! Do not happen like that!
  • Reply 25 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    My guess is that with the next ACD lineup you will see



    20" -Hopefully HD 1080

    24"- 2560x1600 (WQXGA)

    30" -2560x1600 (WQXGA)



    Better backpanel lighting. Higher contrast and new design. I don't see the resolution getting any higher because you already need dual link TMDS receivers for the 2560x1600 rez. What's needed to effectively take advantage of Resolution Independence is higher PPI which is why I think the 20" is going to 1920x1080 and the 24" is going 2560x1600.



    I agree and I'd hope OS X had the ability to selectively Zoom a localized {(x(0),y(0)), (x(m),y(n))} Rect(x,y) that could be zoomed in independent wrt the global coordinates (screen). After all, if it is truly RI then the Screen could be a collection of Objects and differing layers and the meta information of picture a being different than picture b, so on and so forth could be viewed independently at their native resolution.
  • Reply 26 of 193
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chinese_ys View Post


    If the new ACD is 24" with 2560x1600, then "mac nano" will be out-of-date for the ACD!! Do not happen like that!



    You have specs on the Mac Nano? Are you sure it won't support Dual-DVI or Type 3 HDMI?
  • Reply 27 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post


    You have specs on the Mac Nano? Are you sure it won't support Dual-DVI or Type 3 HDMI?



    There is no reason to say I know! All the talkings here are just guess. Probably it will support, that is the best situation. But we will see.
  • Reply 28 of 193
    I've been waiting for this day for a long time. Now it's here. No new Cinema Displays? But when?



    Like a few of you on this forum, I have been holding off on upgrading my Desktop machine for when new Cinema Diplays and Leopard are available. Now Leopard is here, but no new Displays?



    Anyone have more insight? There's been talk of "resolution independence" or something like that, a technology that was rumored to maybe have been a part of Leopard ? and that was the reason that the revised Cinema Displays were being held back.



    But now there's talk of waiting till 2008??!!! Does anyone think people like me are wainging for something that's not gonna happen? Seriously, I can get by without buying right now. I can wait some more. But I really thought something would be announced today.



    Maybe it's delusional but I would think Apple has far better displays up their sleeve for release at some point. The present ones are practically ancient, and you can see they are capable of executing beautiful 180 ppi screens on the iPhone.



    jjj



    \
  • Reply 29 of 193
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkjj40a View Post


    I've been waiting for this day for a long time. Now it's here.



    Still 2 hours 10 minutes left to the release of Leopard. Let's wait and see whether or not any new hardware will be announced then.
  • Reply 30 of 193
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkjj40a View Post


    I've been waiting for this day for a long time. Now it's here. No new Cinema Displays? But when?

    \



    I don't think Apple had any plans o introduce the MacPro and displays Today. Today is about Leopard, Apple do not want to take the spotlight out of it.

    I would expect displays alongside MacPro any tuesday from next week all the way to middle of November when Intel is releasing the chips. Maybe we will see a special event, maybe not but I am still hopeful it will still happen this year.
  • Reply 31 of 193
    I hope they add component so that I can hook up my XBox 360.
  • Reply 32 of 193
    I just noticed that Apple updated the packaging box for the displays. (Leopard's space wallpaper: http://www.apple.com/displays/) I guess this hints that that the displays may not see an update for a while. Because why would they update the box if they are going to be releasing a new model soon?



    Oh well...
  • Reply 33 of 193
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bullchan View Post


    I just noticed that Apple updated the packaging box for the displays. (Leopard's space wallpaper: http://www.apple.com/displays/) I guess this hints that that the displays may not see an update for a while. Because why would they update the box if they are going to be releasing a new model soon?



    Oh well...



    No, they're just not sloppy enough to leave the picture of a computer with an older operating system on it.
  • Reply 34 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bullchan View Post


    I just noticed that Apple updated the packaging box for the displays. (Leopard's space wallpaper: http://www.apple.com/displays/) I guess this hints that that the displays may not see an update for a while. Because why would they update the box if they are going to be releasing a new model soon?



    Oh well...



    You conclusion is making sense. But I am afraid I am not agree with you. Leopard is a main point for Apple and apple wants everything to be related with leopard. So apple will probably change anything that is possible to promote OS. The current Apple Cinema Display has been there for over 6 years, they have no reason not to upgrade it. I am sure new ACD will be out during the period from now to MacWorld 2008.
  • Reply 35 of 193
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chinese_ys View Post


    The current Apple Cinema Display has been there for over 6 years, they have no reason not to upgrade it.



    Don't pull facts from a hat, that's not true at all. It has been a while and they are due for an update but the current displays have been there for 3 years.
  • Reply 36 of 193
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    You're assuming that a > 30-inch Cinema Display would feature an existing graphics card and interface connector.



    Apple has used propietary interfaces in the past, and I believe that the Dual Link DVI interface that the current 30-inch uses was developed by Apple exactly because there wasn't anything else out there that could handle what they required.



    I'm sure there are larger panels out there with higher pixel counts ? the 30-inch Cinema Display was introduced over three years ago and that's an eternity in the IT world. I'm also sure that there are also graphics cards capable of driving higher res. panels ? the missing link seems to be the interface itself...
  • Reply 37 of 193
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    You're assuming that a > 30-inch Cinema Display would feature an existing graphics card and interface connector.



    Apple has used propietary interfaces in the past, and I believe that the Dual Link DVI interface that the current 30-inch uses was developed by Apple exactly because there wasn't anything else out there that could handle what they required.



    I'm sure there are larger panels out there with higher pixel counts ? the 30-inch Cinema Display was introduced over three years ago and that's an eternity in the IT world. I'm also sure that there are also graphics cards capable of driving higher res. panels ? the missing link seems to be the interface itself...



    It's the other way around. The standard interface for resolutions higher 2560x1600 is the HDMI Type 3 connector. The problem is that there are no graphics cards or standard LCD panels on the market, though Apple could have them developed once Resolution Independence is released.
  • Reply 38 of 193
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    Apple is going to have to move to displayport like the rest of the industry. The eventual productline will likely top out above 30" at 3840x2400 Resolution.



    Who would need such 9.2 Megapixel resolution? Medical imagery, Photographers and a fast growing segment of Video Professionals that want to acquire and display in 4k resolution.
  • Reply 39 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    ... I think the 20" is going to 1920x1080...



    Apple won't release a display with a resolution of 1920x1080, I am 100% certain of this. Why? Because that's a 16:9 aspect ratio, used only for LCD TV's. 1920x1200 is more realistic, since it's a 16:10 aspect ratio (the ratio that widescreen monitors use). Don't worry, like the 23" HD Cinema, I'm sure it will be 1080p-capable.
  • Reply 40 of 193
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Apple is going to have to move to displayport like the rest of the industry. The eventual productline will likely top out above 30" at 3840x2400 Resolution.



    I'm hoping that Displayport beats out HDMI, but it's early to try to call. Anyway, I think we'll see 3200x2048 before we see 3840x2400.
Sign In or Register to comment.