Apple earns $904 million on sales of $6.22 billion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple said Monday that fourth-quarter profits rose 66 percent to $904 million, or $1.01 per diluted share, on sales of $6.22 billion for the three-month period ended September 29, 2007.

The results compare to revenue of $4.84 billion and net quarterly profit of $542 million, or $.62 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 33.6 percent, up from 29.2 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 40 percent of the quarter's revenue.

"We are very pleased to have generated over $24 billion in revenue and $3.5 billion in net income in fiscal 2007," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We're looking forward to a strong December quarter as we enter the holiday season with Apple's best products ever."

Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macintosh computers, representing 34 percent growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous quarterly record for Mac shipments by 400,000. The Company sold 10,200,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 17 percent growth over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone sales were 1,119,000, bringing cumulative fiscal 2007 sales to 1,389,000.

"Apple ended the fiscal year with $15.4 billion in cash and no debt," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead to the first quarter of fiscal 2008, we expect revenue of about $9.2 billion and earnings per diluted share of about $1.42."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q4 2007 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime beginning at 2:00 p.m. PDT. AppleInsider will provide its usual coverage (added: 1, 2).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    Wow. Pretty good stuff! Nice to see the all-important market share # going up.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    $184.13 and rising.
  • Reply 3 of 88
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Wow, the rumor mill got it spot on again!

There seems to be a leak at the top at Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    With that kind of cash in reserves, I'm thinking there will be a strong possibility that Apple will be interested in the FCC auction in Jan. '08
  • Reply 5 of 88
    domdndomdn Posts: 13member
    Where can I get after-hours prices? AAPL seems to beat or reach top-end of every estimate. Waiting to hear from confc income per iPhone/AT&T subscriber.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domdn View Post

Where can I get after-hours prices? AAPL seems to beat or reach top-end of every estimate. Waiting to hear from confc income per iPhone/AT&T subscriber.

Turn on your stock channel: CNBC, or BBC Financials or whatever. They have them rolling.
  • Reply 7 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

With that kind of cash in reserves, I'm thinking there will be a strong possibility that Apple will be interested in the FCC auction in Jan. '08

Imagine: Investing with Google to build a 50/50 Network of ownership. Provide services and pricing that gouges the competition and steal millions of clients.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    I just read the 8K which is available on the Apple website. The numbers are awesome.

My personal favorite number is: desktop units up by 30%. Apple is still a computer company.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Some of theses analysts got it right after all.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    These are wonderful numbers. However, don't they pretty much imply that Apple is selling their hardware at much higher price points than they could? I wonder at the elasticity of demand involved in Apple forgoing some profit in order to more rapidly pick up market share.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

I just read the 8K which is available on the Apple website. The numbers are awesome.

My personal favorite number is: desktop units up by 30%. Apple is still a computer company.

Mine as well. This means more investment into the Workstation/Desktop will happen seeing as the demand is escalating. The laptop has been taking the lead of importance and now it's time to even that out a bit more with an improved desktop strategy.

Hopefully, they expand the iPhone/iPod line up with the future PDA/Tablet system.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    naasnaas Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

mac 33.6 percent

ipod 17 percent growth and iphone 1,389,000.

This company is still alive mister dell
  • Reply 13 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

These are wonderful numbers. However, don't they pretty much imply that Apple is selling their hardware at much higher price points than they could? I wonder at the elasticity of demand involved in Apple forgoing some profit in order to more rapidly pick up market share.

It means Apple can sell their systems effectively at higher than projected margins. Apple continues to sell higher margin systems and grows market share that its competition can't duplicate.

HP has solid margins, but not Apple's. Dell has gouged it's margins to gain a large market share which has been eroded by HP and Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domdn View Post

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=AAPL

i believe there is a delay so anyone know of real time quotes please enlighten me
  • Reply 15 of 88
    At a glance...

[RIGHT]Desktops 817,000 units sold = $1,195,000,000

Portables 1,347,000 units sold = $1,908,000,000

Subtotal CPUs 2,164,000 units sold = $3,103,000,000

iPod 10,200,000 units sold = $1,619,000,000

Other Music Related Products and Services $601,000,000

iPhone and Related Products & Services 1,119,000 units sold = $118,000,000

Peripherals and Other Hardware $346,000,000

Software, Service and Other Sales $430,000,000

Total Apple $6,217,000,000[/RIGHT]
  • Reply 16 of 88
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Apple cash on hand is now 1/2 of Adobe's total market valuation. A few more quarters like this and Apple should just buy Adobe outright.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    How long were the revamped iMacs available in that quarter?

I have to think the next quarter is going to be huge. I know several people who are just waiting for 10.5 to ship to buy their first macs and I cant imagine they are the only ones who waited.

The down side of this incredible run is they will face more media scrutiny then ever. I cant count the number of shamelessly biased (mostly on the negative side) articles that I have seen. Such success will make them a lightning rod for media trolls.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    Everything is up except Japan. down 11%....................... What happened in Japan?
  • Reply 19 of 88
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The average analyst prediction was .85, according to this morning's AI article. Not even close to the actual 1.01.

Now watch for the negative headlines: "Apple fails to double analyst predictions."
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

The average analyst prediction was .85, according to this morning's AI article. Not even close to the actual 1.01.

Now watch for the negative headlines: "Apple fails to double analyst predictions."

Apple's next quarter will be boosted by sales of Leopard, which I would guess they'll sell at least 5 miillion copies of. Add another 500+ million in revenue.