Mossberg: Apple's Leopard evolutionary, not revolutionary

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    Yes, for a Windows user, it is a revolution... you're right from that perspective. Welcome to the Mac experience!
  • Reply 82 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rvamerongen View Post

And true, this is not revolutionary, this should be 10.4.10, not 10.5.

The only thing that I am happy with is that the server version is changed a lot. They may call that 10.4.11

Actually, this is a point release so real revolution will only come with 11 the earliest. Hope they won't sell every point release as a separate OS and bring 11 within this decade.

If they want revolution, show us the long rumored resolution free OS.
  • Reply 83 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

If they want revolution, show us the long rumored resolution free OS.

There certainly would be a revolution if Apple released RI before it was ready. Lawyers and deep-pocket diggers with torches outside Cupertino would be the ones revolting if it was released before it was perfected.

Its not as easy as you think to create RI. There are many articles on the subject, just Google it. Also, it will probably not be available for all displays. I suspect that when Apple finally releases it, OS X will auto-detect if the monitor size and resolution will benefit from RI then, and only then, will it be enabled.

There are enough new Leopard frameworks that outshine Tiger that make the upgrade worthwhile. A new line of Apple Cinema Dispays with IR sensors and iSight cameras are long overdue, and with the iMac now hitting 24" Apple may be waiting to get RI perfected before releasing this new HW to its consumers.
  • Reply 84 of 85
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    There's really only one Apple LCD that RI comes into play IMO and that's the 30" with the highest resolution.

Give me a 24" ACD with 2560x1600 resolution and RI takes on a whole new level of usefulness.
  • Reply 85 of 85
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I don't think it's just a matter of personal taste. I think more importantly it's a matter of functionality. The new icons in the home folder are horrible when it comes to recognition.

I think you're right in terms of principle, but I think your concerns aren't as great in application. I mean, how often do you browse the icons in your home folder? The sidebar takes care of that, and its icons are sufficiently functional.