Leopard Upgrade Experience

Comments

• Reply 61 of 171
    Thanks guys I found the finder preference and my desktop is clean now

HOWEVER, no so lucky with the issue of crashing ("unexpectedly quit" message) Photoshop CS3 after I quit the application.

I properly deleted PS CS3 and installed from scratch. However the problem remains. Today I installed Leopard on my Macbook and photoshop does not crash at quit time on that machine. Humm.

Anyway I am an anal retentive kind of guy so the even though "unexpectedly quit" message does not affect my work flow - IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!
  • Reply 62 of 171
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Still waiting on my HD backup -- damn laptop drives are slow.

Going to try basic upgrade install as I am lazy. Can always do an Archive & Install if I run in to issues.
  • Reply 63 of 171
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennysb View Post

I Installed Leopard last nigh and everything is going well - Except, every time I quit Photoshop, I get the "The application unexpectedly quit" message, with the options to ignore, report and view.

It is not affecting me much in the short term since it happens when I WANT to quit anyway, but it is annoying!!

I did erase all preference files (as far as I am aware) and the problem still happens.

PS: Lightroom and Bridge do not show this problem.

Other than that, everything is peachy

Did you search it via spot light or just delete photoshop files in pref folder?

There are some like plugin cache, and stuff.

All else fails, use the uninstall and reinstall CS3 photoshop (some people did that).

you got the crash on quit, so it's no big deal (since nothing is lost), but it's not universal to everyone.
  • Reply 64 of 171
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

Vista Home Premium cost me 80 bucks.

80 bucks plus ten years off of your life, you mean!

I'm not hearing any of the stress filled cries for help that Vista (ha!) elicited.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 65 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

I put the DVD in, hit install, came back a half hour later, and it was installed on my MacBook Pro. No problems other than the fact that I forgot to uninstall Uno before I installed tthis, so some of the dialog boxes look odd.

I also forgot to uninstall Uno and so have a few things that look odd - particularly Firefox. Tried downloading Uno to run the uninstall, but says it doesn't work on Leopard. Any suggestions on how to fix??
  • Reply 66 of 171
    I think I have the worst upgrade story.

- Took a while to get the installer running.

- Didn't want to install, permissions problem.

- Filesystem of my current install fucked, couldn't access to backup files.

- Had to make a DMG of my current install (150GB) and save to an external - 3hours.

- Dodgy installing, but now no wireless. Totally fucked.

Please?!
  • Reply 67 of 171
    anyone experience the random crashing/forced hard restart as complained about in 10.4.11?

i really want to know if this problem has gone away with 10.5.

thanks.
  • Reply 68 of 171
    Yes, I already try the uninstall and reinstall CS3 photoshop. I might try again and make sure all photoshop files are deleted.

we'll see - funny thing is I would feel better if other people had reported this problem also. Is that make me a bad person

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuku View Post

Did you search it via spot light or just delete photoshop files in pref folder?

There are some like plugin cache, and stuff.

All else fails, use the uninstall and reinstall CS3 photoshop (some people did that).

you got the crash on quit, so it's no big deal (since nothing is lost), but it's not universal to everyone.

• Reply 69 of 171
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I do not like how when you click show all in spotlight it goes to a finder window rather then that nice layout they had before. It is much faster then it was before.

Frontrow is quite a bit snappier but they took away the cool effect when the desktop disappears.
  • Reply 70 of 171
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    My upgrade experience?

After a week of anticipation I was psyched that it was finally Leopard Day. At 10:40 on Friday I left my apartment to drive to class at 11:00. On the road I passed the Fed-Ex truck on its way to deliver my very own copy of Leopard 7 hours before its official release time. Oh my did class go slowly. Not that felony murder and freedom of expression are dull topics; I just wanted to get home as fast as I could. I raced home 4 hours later to install it without a hitch. The installation took about an hour on my MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 71 of 171
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

Vista Home Premium cost me 80 bucks. Leopard is going to cost me 129.

Then I suggest you enjoy your PC life.
  • Reply 72 of 171
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Then I suggest you enjoy your PC life.

Sweet.

Blue Screen of Death

Viruses

Spyware

Trojans (the not fun kinds)

Snake-Oil Gates

Sweaty McBallmer

Nothing that "just works"

Sync problems from hell

OS problems that take down entire drives, files and all

Ancient, contradicting, and obsolete code patches on top of old patches on top of stolen software.

Wow. It's a real toss up.
  • Reply 73 of 171
    Anyone here having wireless connection problems with WPA?
  • Reply 74 of 171
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    My upgrade results:

Right before I installed it, I got an earful from my wife for buying it. As such, I hastily ran the installer and was expecting to see an option for an archive and install. I didn't. Instead, it went right into the install mode which took under 45 minutes. I was worried that I lost everything but when it came up, I had my files and everything.

I did have a little trouble connecting to the net but it only took about ten minutes to resolve the issue.

What is happening now is that lil snitch (I've got v 1.2.4) now gives me warnings about things wanting to connect to the net. And it isn't telling me what they are but calls them "kernal tasks."
  • Reply 75 of 171
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Anyone here having wireless connection problems with WPA?

I did. Took about ten minutes to get it working. But I don't now how I fixed it. I played around with the settings a bit because if I connected to my neighbors wireless, I could get on the net so I know airport was ok.
  • Reply 76 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

Well after the upgrade PARALLELS 3.0 is no longer working on my 24" iMac it crashes the iMac when you try and start it up.

The same happened to me after doing an archive & install on my MacBook Core Duo. I re-ran the installer (Parallels 3.0 build 5160) and everything seemed to run OK; I could launch a VM and log in. I didn't do much testing beyond that.
  • Reply 77 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

What is happening now is that lil snitch (I've got v 1.2.4) now gives me warnings about things wanting to connect to the net. And it isn't telling me what they are but calls them "kernal tasks."

yea, I get that a lot too....
  • Reply 78 of 171
    leopard disk utility appears to not repair permissions \ it just waits forever on the initial "barbershop candy cane" status. i had to boot into my tiger install disc to repair permissions
  • Reply 79 of 171
    Opps,

I just try to add my printers.

My USB Hiti 730PS came up without my help

BUT My Canon i9900 inkjet which I had connected via firewire, well it just does not show. Th eprinter set-up is a little diff in Leopard
  • Reply 80 of 171
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennysb View Post

Yes, I already try the uninstall and reinstall CS3 photoshop. I might try again and make sure all photoshop files are deleted.

we'll see - funny thing is I would feel better if other people had reported this problem also. Is that make me a bad person

Well you're not the first to have it, I had it in one of my other systems. But isn't as persistent as yours.

Make another user account, and try to run photoshop on that. if it still does it, then it's not a pref problem, and you might need to weed some stuff out :/