Leopard Upgrade Experience

Comments

• Reply 121 of 171
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JS29 View Post

I am a fairly new Mac user so I have never done this before. I upgraded via DVD on Saturday. All went well until my iMac rebooted. It then froze at the blue screen just before the login window. I let it stay there for about an hour, then decided I had had enough. I called Apple, and they walked me through the following process:

Turn machine off - worked

Hold down "C" and turn machine on - worked

Set install preferences (archive and install) - worked

Continue through prompts to install - worked

Machine came online and all seem well. All 3 user accounts were still there with their preferences, desktop images, icons, shortcuts, email setting, messages etc... When I was on the phone with Apple, the tech support person (who was VERY difficult to understand) said I would need to do a recovery on my archived system settings. Do I need to do this? None of the 3 users of the machine, including myself have experienced any problems or missing data.

Can any of you mac experts please offer some guidance? Can I delete the archive, do I need to perform some kind of restore, should I do anything?

Thank a bunch!

Ummm.... from what I've read on these forums, I guess Leopard offers an option for restoring archived settings during the install. So my guess is that you clicked yes to that without even realizing it and that is why all your settings are restored already.

I would hang on to the Archive folder for a few months, just in case, especially if you have lots of free space. If you don't notice anything missing, by all means delete it.

(Did you check if all your applications are there, even the ones you installed yourself before upgrading?)
  • Reply 122 of 171
    js29js29 Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Ummm.... from what I've read on these forums, I guess Leopard offers an option for restoring archived settings during the install. So my guess is that you clicked yes to that without even realizing it and that is why all your settings are restored already.

I would hang on to the Archive folder for a few months, just in case, especially if you have lots of free space. If you don't notice anything missing, by all means delete it.

(Did you check if all your applications are there, even the ones you installed yourself before upgrading?)

Yup, everything is there and working fine. I just wasn't sure what if anything, I should do.

Thanks.
  • Reply 123 of 171
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    1. Bluetooth didn't work until I removed everything attached to the computer--printer, external drive, scanner etc

2.Parallels works well, but Windows won't shut down--reinstalled 2x and reinstalled tools 4x --may be working now.

3. When backup drive is working or is attached ( Firewire Iomega) machine locks up--

Disconnecting external drive, everything works fine.

Otherwise---I feel like an idiot for installing Leopard---a real pain in the ass.
  • Reply 124 of 171
    Got my Leopard DVD last evening from Amazon and did an Archive & Install. It took about 35 minutes? with no drama. The new look is going to take some adjusting to... Spaces is wonderful, Safari seem much faster. I don?t want to jinx this thing, but everything has gone smoothly.
  • Reply 125 of 171
    __mo__mo Posts: 32member
    on 2.33ghz mbp 17"

i had issues at first when the os x installer could not see my startup disk. i left the 'select destination drive' window hang there for about two minutes and it popped up. it made me jump, but the rest of the install was a breeze
  • Reply 126 of 171
    This question is about new Macs that don't come with Leopard pre-installed, but instead have the "Drop in DVD".

If you are transfering your data from a previous Mac (running Tiger) to the new Mac via firewire, and also want to upgrade to Leopard, what should you do first. First transfer the old Mac to new, then use the Drop-in DVD to upgrade to Leopard? Or first use the Drop-in DVD to upgrade, and then transfer your accounts?

Does the Drop-in DVD even allow an 'Archive and Install' option? Or does it just format the machine for a clean-slate Leopard?
  • Reply 127 of 171
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

WAIT! No classic????

Really? Yippee! Thank Dog that Apple finally cleaned out all the cruft needed to support Classic. Now I'm starting to look forward to Leopard despite Resolution Independence not being ready.
  • Reply 128 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thagomizer View Post

This question is about new Macs that don't come with Leopard pre-installed, but instead have the "Drop in DVD".

If you are transfering your data from a previous Mac (running Tiger) to the new Mac via firewire, and also want to upgrade to Leopard, what should you do first. First transfer the old Mac to new, then use the Drop-in DVD to upgrade to Leopard? Or first use the Drop-in DVD to upgrade, and then transfer your accounts?

Does the Drop-in DVD even allow an 'Archive and Install' option? Or does it just format the machine for a clean-slate Leopard?

1. Connect the two Macs with a firewire cable

2. Restart the old Mac holding down the "T" key to enter target disk mode.

3. Pop the Leopard DVD into the new Mac

4. Boot the new Mac from the CD (using the option in the CD or holding the C key during startup)

5. Select to transfer the data/settings from the old Mac when prompted

Yes, the DVD is an upgrade disc that allows all three types of upgrade: clean install, upgrade, or archive and install.

Good luck, and enjoy Leopard!
  • Reply 129 of 171
    What is Archive and install? I am not to familiar with all this new terminology. When I did my system I just did the Upgrade and it worked fine even my mbox 2 pro box played sound
  • Reply 130 of 171
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Archive & Install copies your previous installation to a folder. Mine ended up being 16GB.
  • Reply 131 of 171
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Archive & Install copies your previous installation to a folder. Mine ended up being 16GB.

where can I find the folder and is it ok to drag it to the trash?
  • Reply 132 of 171
    Is anyone else having problems connecting back to their wireless router after waking from sleep?

Why do I need to manualy connect it each time. Also my keychain doesn't seem to be holding any passwords.
  • Reply 133 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

1. Connect the two Macs with a firewire cable

2. Restart the old Mac holding down the "T" key to enter target disk mode.

3. Pop the Leopard DVD into the new Mac

4. Boot the new Mac from the CD (using the option in the CD or holding the C key during startup)

5. Select to transfer the data/settings from the old Mac when prompted

Yes, the DVD is an upgrade disc that allows all three types of upgrade: clean install, upgrade, or archive and install.

Good luck, and enjoy Leopard!

Sweet! That saves a step... so you can upgrade and transfer at the same time. Thanks!
  • Reply 134 of 171
    Will Classic run on 10.5 on G4 machines?

My wife uses a Mac Mini and has a favorite game that's only available on Classic and the developer has no plans to port it to X. I also use a Classic calendar program on my TiBook 867. I'm trying to decide if a family pack is worth it, especially in Classic won't run on 10.5.
  • Reply 135 of 171
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cube View Post

Anny news on CS3?

Working fine or not?

It's working fine for me--I wish Parallels and my Iomega back up drive would work as well.
  • Reply 136 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Will Classic run on 10.5 on G4 machines?

My wife uses a Mac Mini and has a favorite game that's only available on Classic and the developer has no plans to port it to X. I also use a Classic calendar program on my TiBook 867. I'm trying to decide if a family pack is worth it, especially in Classic won't run on 10.5.

Classic won't run on any Leopard volume. Leopard will run on G4 Macs with at least an 867MHz CPU (or accelerator, I've found).
  • Reply 137 of 171
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

where can I find the folder and is it ok to drag it to the trash?

Mine is "Previous Systems". I'm guessing it would be OK to delete, but you may want to back it up to an external hard drive.
  • Reply 138 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Mine is "Previous Systems". I'm guessing it would be OK to delete, but you may want to back it up to an external hard drive.

The Previous Systems folder is where the OS places the old System folder contents when you perform an Archive & Install, and is there for you to dig out anything you may need after the upgrade for your apps to work on the new OS.

Once you're sure all your apps are working OK, it's safe to delete it. The new OS ignores it, so it's just wasting gigabytes of your available storage.
  • Reply 139 of 171
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

Vista Home Premium cost me 80 bucks. Leopard is going to cost me 129.

Vista ultimte in NZ would set me back NZ$800, Lepoard, NZ$199 incl gst.
  • Reply 140 of 171
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

anyone experience the random crashing/forced hard restart as complained about in 10.4.11?

i really want to know if this problem has gone away with 10.5.

thanks.

How can people complain about 10.4.11 - it hasn't been released yet.