Apple bumps MacBooks to Santa Rosa; offers 2.6GHz MacBook Pro

1246789

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 162
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post


    So, the X3100 has 144MB of dedicated memory? I thought it was shared, or has Intel taken Nvidia's and ATI's route of providing some dedicated memory, then taking what else is required from system RAM?



    144MB, quite an odd amount...



    I'll have to Google this!



    no it is NOT, still shared memory...
  • Reply 62 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    No one forces you to buy a black model over a white one. If you don't think the black is worth the extra money, simple - don't buy it!



    Dude, that's not the point. Of course no one is forcing anyone to buy the black model. But the fact that you purchase an equally-equipped white MacBook for $125 less JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!



    -Clive
  • Reply 63 of 162
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


    Dude, that's not the point. Of course no one is forcing anyone to buy the black model. But the fact that you purchase an equally-equipped white MacBook for $125 less JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!



    -Clive



    It does if the black finish is more expensive to achieve and/or people are willing to pay the extra amount (which clearly they are, as the black model does sell), increasing profits.



    The black/white thing has no relevance in terms of comparing Apple to outside competition (only the shallowest of individuals chooses their laptop manufacturer based on colour), but other things such as HDD size and optical drive are much more relevant and where criticism of Apple should be aimed.
  • Reply 64 of 162
    The mac book black should have a better video card in it then a on board video chip.
  • Reply 65 of 162
    ouraganouragan Posts: 431member
    Contrary to what AppleInsider states, the MacBook memory is still a slow 667MHz. It's another example of how the Apple CEO and VPs are more concerned about filling their own pockets with insane, demented, out of this world, lucrative stock option grants than offering a competitive laptop for the same price and features found in a Windows laptop.



    These features include a 15 inch screen and a lower overall price. But, then, Windows customers don't have to pay for a despotic CEO and his puppet, hand picked VPs.





    Quoting from Apple U.S.store:



    "The MacBook uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today ? 667MHz, Double Data Rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM ? which is strongly recommended ? you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling MacBook to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps."



  • Reply 66 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,982member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    In simple terms yes! The problem is you need drivers and it depends on exactly what features make a difference to you. Intel hasn't been real quick on th windows side for drivers, I'm not sure how this impacts OS/X.



    As a side note the GMA driver for Linux has actually been in better shape than the windows driver for some time feature wise. Of course Linux has a develop as you go model but it is worth noting the condition of the windows driver has not been good. The question then becomes who is developing the Mac driver.



    In a nut shell this has the POTENTIAL to be a very good thing for the MacBook.



    Dave



    Intel did provide an update for this chip recently.



    Originally, this chip didn't provide performance too much better than the old one, to people's surprise.



    But, the update that Intel put out recently addresses those areas.



    Apple also has the updated drivers, so we should see a good performance increase from the older chips.
  • Reply 67 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,982member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


    Dude, that's not the point. Of course no one is forcing anyone to buy the black model. But the fact that you purchase an equally-equipped white MacBook for $125 less JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!



    -Clive



    Maybe it does, but we don't know why.
  • Reply 68 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    Contrary to what AppleInsider states, the MacBook memory is still a slow 667MHz.



    Am I mistaken. The spec list 800. As far as I can see, its the promo page that still needs to be updated, that's all.
  • Reply 69 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    It's another example of how the Apple CEO and VPs are more concerned about filling their own pockets with insane, demented, out of this world, lucrative stock option grants than offering a competitive laptop for the same price and features found in a Windows laptop.



    This is just a weird rant on so many different levels.



    Take a deep breath, let it out s-l-o-w-l-y..... repeat four times.... (or take a walk and get some fresh air).
  • Reply 70 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    It does if the black finish is more expensive to achieve and/or people are willing to pay the extra amount (which clearly they are, as the black model does sell), increasing profits.



    The black/white thing has no relevance in terms of comparing Apple to outside competition (only the shallowest of individuals chooses their laptop manufacturer based on colour), but other things such as HDD size and optical drive are much more relevant and where criticism of Apple should be aimed.



    Okay, I guarantee that the black finish does not cost anywhere near $25, much less $125 more than the white finish. The fact that SOMEHOW Apple can convince people to buy the black model for a premium is baffling to me. And since they can make a profit on it, it makes sense in a monetary sense... and I don't blame them for doing so.



    I just don't think it makes sense.



    Anyone who buys a blackbook has a level of vanity that I do not understand.



    -Clive
  • Reply 71 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


    I just don't think it makes sense.



    Anyone who buys a blackbook has a level of vanity that I do not understand.



    -Clive



    True, but it works for luxury items quite often. Years ago when I got my first new Ferrari (too many years ago), the black models were $10,000 more than the red. Go figure.
  • Reply 72 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,982member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


    Okay, I guarantee that the black finish does not cost anywhere near $25, much less $125 more than the white finish. The fact that SOMEHOW Apple can convince people to buy the black model for a premium is baffling to me. And since they can make a profit on it, it makes sense in a monetary sense... and I don't blame them for doing so.



    I just don't think it makes sense.



    Anyone who buys a blackbook has a level of vanity that I do not understand.



    -Clive



    How about the fact that many people prefer black to white on a computer case?
  • Reply 73 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


    Anyone who buys a blackbook has a level of vanity that I do not understand.



    -Clive



    That is an overstatement. (By the same token, any luxury goods purchases are just 'vanity'?)



    Go to a site like Engadget.com click on the "comments" section of any Apple- or Mac-related story, and you'll see tons of hardcore PC/Linux geeks make exactly the same sneering arguments about any Apple product! So, your white MB would be just a vanity purchase in someone else's eyes -- would you agree it is?



    PS: I don't own a black MB.
  • Reply 74 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post


    Sounds like an opportunity for someone to open up a "gray market" store, transshipping orders to Canada.



    I did business once with a Canadian in B.C. who simply drove over the border and mailed his orders to US customers from a US Post Office to save time and customs hassles



    That is exactly what's happening in the border states such as NH, VT, MI, and WA. It is no different from Americans driving over in busloads for low-priced Canadian pharmaceuticals.



    Pricing-to-market is a standard phenomenon for just about every multinational company in just about every non-home market.
  • Reply 75 of 162
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    I'm sure that most people would choose



    1.8 GHz

    Double-layer DVD burner

    120 GB HDD



    at $1099



    over



    2.0 GHz

    Combo drive

    80 GB HDD



    at $1099.



    I wouldn't make a big deal out of it either way. I almost don't write DVDs at all. I had to re-use a 1x DVD-RW because I had just let my supplies lapse, or that my remaining spindle disappeared somewhere.
  • Reply 76 of 162
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    Contrary to what AppleInsider states, the MacBook memory is still a slow 667MHz. It's another example of how the Apple CEO and VPs are more concerned about filling their own pockets with insane, demented, out of this world, lucrative stock option grants than offering a competitive laptop for the same price and features found in a Windows laptop.



    These features include a 15 inch screen and a lower overall price. But, then, Windows customers don't have to pay for a despotic CEO and his puppet, hand picked VPs.





    Quoting from Apple U.S.store:



    "The MacBook uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today ? 667MHz, Double Data Rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM ? which is strongly recommended ? you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling MacBook to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps."







    Oh my god. You really need to go away, calm down, get a clue and then come back.



    The FSB is 800 MHz and the RAM is 667 MHz.



    The FSB is not the same as the RAM bus. The FSB connects the processor to the motherboard northbridge and the RAM bus connects RAM to the northbridge.



    The RAM in Apple's MacBook Pro is also 667 MHz.



    The RAM in all PCs with Santa Rosa/Crestline is 667 MHz max. You know why? The fastest supported RAM by Crestline is 667 MHz.
  • Reply 77 of 162
    Blame Coors. Coors owns Molson and has for a while now.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    ^^^



    That's only fair. We have to pay more for Molson beer.



  • Reply 78 of 162
    Thanks for the FSB clarification Mr.H I was going to upgrade to 4gig (third party?Newegg save $650) and was considering just going to DDR800?no price difference.\



    7200 200gig?any heat issues? Thanks for your help guys first Mac since my 6200 Performa (oh ya)
  • Reply 79 of 162
    2-3 weeks for the 2.6 mac book pro is not very nice.
  • Reply 80 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post


    True, but it works for luxury items quite often. Years ago when I got my first new Ferrari (too many years ago), the black models were $10,000 more than the red. Go figure.



    Listing an example of a similar occurence of this phenomenon does not justify Apple. In fact, $10,000 of a $200k car is a 5% premium. $175 of a $1500 computer is 11%. So what Apple is doing is twice as bad a Ferrari.



    Besides, I wouldn't call a $1500 laptop (nor the color black) a "luxury item" anyway.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    How about the fact that many people prefer black to white on a computer case?



    So then, why wouldn't it be the other way around? Since white is less popular, have it carry the premium price tag. That's like charging $4/bag on Cheese Dorritos but $3/bag on the less-popular Garlic-Onion-Ranch-BBQ Doritos.



    I repeat: IT MAKES NO SENSE!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    That is an overstatement. (By the same token, any luxury goods purchases are just 'vanity'?)



    Go to a site like Engadget.com click on the "comments" section of any Apple- or Mac-related story, and you'll see tons of hardcore PC/Linux geeks make exactly the same sneering arguments about any Apple product! So, your white MB would be just a vanity purchase in someone else's eyes -- would you agree it is?



    PS: I don't own a black MB.



    As someone who fosters both PCs and Macs in my home, I can most certainly provide facts proving that the Mac's higher price (even though that argument is debateable as well) is worth the security, stability, and ease-of-use that accompany it. You, as a Mac-user, should know this as well.



    Does anyone else care to (try to) justify to me why the Black Tax is okay?



    -Clive
Sign In or Register to comment.