Macbook Pro, to buy or not to buy.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What with the macbook pro getting a (slightly underwhelming) speed bump today, im considering taking the plunge, as its not likely we're going to see another update for a while, and it would be nice to have it for christmas. However im currently studying architecture in my first year, and we wont need any proper computing power until next year. (I do photoshopping and music produciton in my spare time as well.) I'm not a huge fan of the current grey aluminium, and would definately like to see a black alu design, but of course such a design might never occur. Is it worth me waiting till january? or even summer maybe? for a redesign ( i dont want to buy a laptop with a design thats a couple of years old only for it to be updated to something much cooler a few months later) Thanks for your time, Rich.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich89 View Post

What with the macbook pro getting a (slightly underwhelming) speed bump today, im considering taking the plunge, as its not likely we're going to see another update for a while, and it would be nice to have it for christmas. However im currently studying architecture in my first year, and we wont need any proper computing power until next year. (I do photoshopping and music produciton in my spare time as well.) I'm not a huge fan of the current grey aluminium, and would definately like to see a black alu design, but of course such a design might never occur. Is it worth me waiting till january? or even summer maybe? for a redesign ( i dont want to buy a laptop with a design thats a couple of years old only for it to be updated to something much cooler a few months later) Thanks for your time, Rich.

I just bought mine couple days ago. I think it will be like it is now for at least 3 to 4 months. So I think it is safe to buy now.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    It's kinda the usual: if you need it now for something (like work), get it now. Who knows, maybe a new one comes out in January... and it looks terrible (or at least you feel that way). If you waited, you can get an older refurbished one for less money.

Really, I just got a 15" MBP a couple months back because my other laptop began to get funky. I needed it. I got it. If something better comes along, I'll sell it (great resale value) and pick that up.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    MacBook Pro & MacBook was updated today. BUY IT!

This is now a Current Hardware thread.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The MacBook Pro should get a little speedbump when Penryn becomes available in January. I don't expect a major redesign before Montevina ships (June or so) if then. I hope that 128GB solid-state drives are shipping by then. The 64GB drives just started shipping recently.

The main advantage of Penryn for the MacBook Pro will be lower power consumption and longer battery life. There will probably be a measurable performance increase (for a given clock rate), but I doubt it would be noticeable to a user.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The MacBook Pro should get a little speedbump when Penryn becomes available in January. I don't expect a major redesign before Montevina ships (June or so) if then. I hope that 128GB solid-state drives are shipping by then. The 64GB drives just started shipping recently.

The main advantage of Penryn for the MacBook Pro will be lower power consumption and longer battery life. There will probably be a measurable performance increase (for a given clock rate), but I doubt it would be noticeable to a user.

I haven't bought the last MBP because of several reasons:

1.There isn't SSD-buffer - and it is like WTF ,dude !! How can it possibly be !? well if it was something holding it down -it had to be the software - voila Leopard is out ....now what are you waiting for ?

2.Maximum battery life - actually 3-4 hours just isn't enough for serious workers .

3. stupid normal DVI connector, while the Macbooks have the logical mini DVI.

4.the macbooks again have these great magnets ,for closing it tight ,. and the MBPs are still left with those stupid hooks .

And NOW , when it comes to this significant macbook upgrade ... WHERE is the difference between MB and MBP ?!?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

They are not going to update the MBP in November and then January. Sorry to disappoint you.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripo View Post

And NOW , when it comes to this significant macbook upgrade ... WHERE is the difference between MB and MBP ?!?

I agree. The MacBook looks like better value at the moment than the MacBook Pro. However, both are too large and too heavy for me, so I'm sticking with my 12" PowerBook until Apple introduce something lighter in weight.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

3. stupid normal DVI connector, while the Macbooks have the logical mini DVI.

Er... what You'd actually prefer they use Mini-DVI which requires an adaptor? That makes no sense.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

They are not going to update the MBP in November and then January. Sorry to disappoint you.

I wouldn't call this an update to the MBP. It is just another bto update.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capitanbuzo View Post

I wouldn't call this an update to the MBP. It is just another bto update.

Correct.

MB pros will definitely be updated in January or February 2008.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    OK< Keep that dream alive.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Correct.

MB pros will definitely be updated in January or February 2008.

More likely April or May.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

More likely April or May.

Nope. Since launch, the MacBook pro has been the machine that Apple have consistently kept up-to-date relative to its peers on the Windows side of the fence. As long as Intel deliver mobile Penryn in volume in January as expected, the MB pro will have Penryn by the end of February 2008.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Nope. Since launch, the MacBook pro has been the machine that Apple have consistently kept up-to-date relative to its peers on the Windows side of the fence. As long as Intel deliver mobile Penryn in volume in January as expected, the MB pro will have Penryn by the end of February 2008.

And how long is the update cycle in your scenario?

Average updates occur every 186 days for the MBP FYI. Think 6 Mos.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Average updates occur every 186 days for the MBP FYI. Think 6 Mos.

Hello! Today was not an update, it was an addition of a BTO option (for an extra $250, no less).

According to Mac Rumors, the MacBook Pro was last updated 150 days ago. So by January/February 2008 it'll be well overdue the average 186 days.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Hello! Today was not an update, it was an addition of a BTO option (for an extra $250, no less).

According to Mac Rumors, the MacBook Pro was last updated 150 days ago. So by January/February 2008 it'll be well overdue the average 186 days.

Apple updates MacBook, MacBook Pro

Looks like they updated features to just about everybody but you.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Er... what You'd actually prefer they use Mini-DVI which requires an adaptor? That makes no sense.

I second. MacBook Pro + Direct Connect to Display = Thumbs Up! Adapter = Lame and reminds me of ADC port and beige-era Apple display port
  • Reply 18 of 28
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

I second. MacBook Pro + Direct Connect to Display = Thumbs Up! Adapter = Lame and reminds me of ADC port and beige-era Apple display port

Wait a sec! Look at it this way: a magsafe power connector- sweet right , and than monster DVI it doesn't make sens, and yet it can't go thinner with the dvi, don't you think -..Besides You could have a mini dvi to DVI cable , not just an adapter AND they could be sold inclusive.

• Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Wait a sec! Look at it this way: a magsafe power connector- sweet right , and than monster DVI it doesn't make sens, and yet it can't go thinner with the dvi, don't you think -..Besides You could have a mini dvi to DVI cable , not just an adapter AND they could be sold inclusive.

Sold inclusive? That would drive up the price for the 80% of customers who don't need it.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Looks like they updated features to just about everybody but you.

They did not update features! The standard configurations that existed before yesterday still exist, for exactly the same price as before. This is not an update. Additional options were added for those you desire to add them for an additional price.

This is not an update in the same vein as e.g. adding penryn to the entire lineup or changing the form-factor.

See the MacRumors buying guide. (and note that yes, they have updated the MacBook entry.)