What does Apple have lined up for the Macworld Expo in January?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    We've talked about tablets to death in here. Generally if you want a slate you can get that thing, but the majority of users in here were against the slate design as opposed to the convertible kind. And I think we've all had enough of that discussion.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Steve's Keynote highlights as I can see them at this point:

Sales Recap

* Skimming holiday earnings preview

* iPod sales, iPhone sales, Mac sales

Mac Sales surge

* Product line-up

* Point out new iMac specifically

* New software - iLife '08, iWork '08

* Leopard release in late October 2007

* Developer response to Leopard

* Public response to Leopard

* Leopard maintenance update release highlights minor tweaks - available today

Microsoft releasing Office 2008 for Mac

This will be a significant demo (at least 15 minutes or more)

* Demo of all new features by Microsoft MacBU person

* Shipping January 15th

Apple's multi-media strategy

* Recap digital hub profile

* Apple TV revamp (Apple TV 2)

* New features

* New iTunes Store content

The rest is an even bigger figment of everyone's imagination:

* MacBook Pro revamp with new designs, new features

* Form factor merge between MacBook & MacBook Pro

* Mac Pro revamp with new design, new features

* new Apple Cinema displays

Anything more and I think everyone's head will explode! Too much is not necessarily a good thing, especially from Apple's PR perspective.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Don't expect any huge surprises in 2008. Apple just released the very high risk iPhone. It looks like they'll make a big bundle of money on the iPhone and they're probably just about now giving the green light to a major new high-risk excursion into new territory that won't be ready before 2009. Expect now relatively conservative progress. 2008 will not be a year from introducing a radically new product outside Apple's traditional market e.g. the iPod and the iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is a lot of potential for new devices at Mac World not to mention stuff that sorely needs updating. So here are my prdictions.

A Nano like Cell Phone/Ipod. This device will be for the low end and not come with all the PDA functions that iPhone comes with. The target would be the sub $200 range.

Current iPhone gets a simple rev to a lot more memory. We are talking like 32 GB. The 8 GB model may stay around for a bit as a $250 phone.

A new high end iPhone comes out. It will be physically a larger device with a very high resolution screen. It will be 3G capable, have GPS and possibly WiMax. This device will also be a high capacity storage device topping out at 64 GB. The new screen will be HD capable by the way and the GPS functionality will completely support that screen size.

Dave

I think a lot of you are making some pretty unrealistic, unStevificated predictions out there, no offense.

Many of these ideas can be run through a pretty simple litmus test:

Would nearly every mac owner want one upon hearing about its basic functions?

The answer is "no."

So as to show you what I mean, here is one of my own preditctions, but i do not anticipate it as soon as MacWorld 08:

a 16-32GB iPhone with 3G, inside of which either Apple or some 3rd party will hack or build a mod to iChat that will allow users to conduct "audible chats" (VOIP) via the phones mic/speaker, allowing users to bypass actual phone services, and effectively screwing any and all cellular carriers if a customer is in WiFi range.

Trust me.

I know what Apple's all about.

• Reply 45 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Can't wait for those 13 and 17 foot MacBooks.

Didn't this guy also design the stonehenge set for SpinalTap?
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Mac Tablet... more storage for iPhone (16gb)... improved AppleTV

Bow to Me!
  • Reply 47 of 78
    A Mac Pro worthy of the name.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    An iMac with a better GPU. Or at least the gar-darn option for one.

Lemon BOn BOn.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is a lot of potential for new devices at Mac World not to mention stuff that sorely needs updating. So here are my prdictions.

Apple introduces a low cost machine on the Mac Pro frame that allows them to answer the low cost crowd. This is a single socket machine based on a ATX form factor motherboard. Still we get 4 cores.

Dave

Hope indeed springs eternal. But.....

Not going to happen. Apple doesn't want this business, seemingly having complete disdain for it. Steve's recent quote concerning AIO clinches it, there will never be a flexible computer for the consumer, ever.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Steve's Keynote highlights as I can see them at this point:

Sales Recap

* Skimming holiday earnings preview

* iPod sales, iPhone sales, Mac sales

Mac Sales surge

* Product line-up

* Point out new iMac specifically

* New software - iLife '08, iWork '08

* Leopard release in late October 2007

* Developer response to Leopard

* Public response to Leopard

* Leopard maintenance update release highlights minor tweaks - available today

Microsoft releasing Office 2008 for Mac

This will be a significant demo (at least 15 minutes or more)

* Demo of all new features by Microsoft MacBU person

* Shipping January 15th

Apple's multi-media strategy

* Recap digital hub profile

* Apple TV revamp (Apple TV 2)

* New features

* New iTunes Store content

The rest is an even bigger figment of everyone's imagination:

* MacBook Pro revamp with new designs, new features

* Form factor merge between MacBook & MacBook Pro

* Mac Pro revamp with new design, new features

* new Apple Cinema displays

Anything more and I think everyone's head will explode! Too much is not necessarily a good thing, especially from Apple's PR perspective.

Honestly I think that is a reasonable expectation.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    1.) Full LED transition on all laptops.

2.) Leopard 10.5.1

3.) New Cinema Displays

4.) iTunes 8

5.) iPhone Software Update to include more features.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    If I had something to bet on anything, I would bet everything on Apple dropping the Mac Mini and Apple TV altogether and introducing a new product based on both, in one form factor.

I own both and the Apple TV has always seemed like a "test" product to me. It's been largely ignored by the company and even the name is lame. Little effort has been put into either.

I see a DVR product coming soon.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

If I had something to bet on anything, I would bet everything on Apple dropping the Mac Mini and Apple TV altogether and introducing a new product based on both, in one form factor.

I own both and the Apple TV has always seemed like a "test" product to me. It's been largely ignored by the company and even the name is lame. Little effort has been put into either.

I see a DVR product coming soon.

Or just another piece of recent Apple hardware. What they have been gravitating towards in the past few years is adding up to be a joke reputation in hardware manufacturing. Everything they make is going down hill. Integrated GPU's, AIO systems, even their "Workstation" has been turned into just another standardized box. But their biggest problem is they have no extensive hardware customization options, and that falls all the way down the line now from Mac Pro - all the way to the Mac Mini. The hardware has become a total joke and people are starting to recognize it.

It's funny because people that have loved Apple through the hard times see it and are leaving because of it, while others are basing buying decisions on old hardware that they will soon realize isn't going to improve, and soon they will learn this ugly truth once they better familiarize themselves with the platform. Apple - One step foreword, two steps back.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Or just another piece of recent Apple hardware. What they have been gravitating towards in the past few years is adding up to be a joke reputation in hardware manufacturing. Everything they make is going down hill. Integrated GPU's, AIO systems, even their "Workstation" has been turned into just another standardized box. But their biggest problem is they have no extensive hardware customization options, and that falls all the way down the line now from Mac Pro - all the way to the Mac Mini. The hardware has become a total joke and people are starting to recognize it.

It's funny because people that have loved Apple through the hard times see it and are leaving because of it, while others are basing buying decisions on old hardware that they will soon realize isn't going to improve, and soon they will learn this ugly truth once they better familiarize themselves with the platform. Apple - One step foreword, two steps back.

• Reply 55 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Well the truth hurts.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    I know it does. But a lot of times in history, what we thought was truth turned out to be false.

:P

(don't comment on that )
  • Reply 57 of 78
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

I personally expect the following at MacWorld Expo in January 2008:

iPhone--a second-generation model (16 and 32 GB of flash memory) that adds these functionality: optional external keyboard, HSDPA 3G broadband access over AT&T cellular network, and some internal software upgrades.

Mac Pro--new models with upgraded CPU's and graphics cards, plus optional Blu-Ray burner drive with full HDCP video support.

iMac--upgraded versions of current models, now with optional Blu-Ray burner drives with HDCP video support so the iMac display can play back Blu-Ray movies at HD resolution.

iPod--new 32 GB flash memory iPod touch and new 16 GB flash memory iPod nano.

Cinema Displays--new models in 24", 27" and 30" sizes, now with full HDCP support so it can play back Blu-Ray discs at full HD resolution.

Ditto! But, I'm hoping for built in Blu-ray drives in the Macs. (Fingers crossed)
  • Reply 58 of 78
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Mmmmaybe this AppleTV...

http://web.mac.com/brendanjnr/my_mock-ups/Apple.html

...complete with DVR functionality along with a Blu-ray recording drive. Now that would be nice!
  • Reply 59 of 78
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Mmmmaybe this AppleTV...

http://web.mac.com/brendanjnr/my_mock-ups/Apple.html

...complete with DVR functionality along with a Blu-ray recording drive. Now that would be nice!

sure would be but for $299, you must be dreaming. BR drives are I think at least $400
  • Reply 60 of 78
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

That would make a lot of sense to me. In my mind it would be a Mac about the size of a DVD player. It would basically have the specs of the current Mac mini and all of the ports of the AppleTV. It would use desktop parts instead of laptop parts, making it cheaper to build, and it would sell for $499-599. The AppleTV would cease to exist and Apple would justify its discontinuation by saying AppleTV has needed to be a full-fledged Mac all along.