Freezing iMacs may be victims of hardware, not software

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seehunt View Post

I was curious, the 2600 Pro requires a 400 watt power supply, the 2400 on the base model does not indicate this need (on ATI web site). Also the 2400 had far fewer transistors etc. and should not create as much heat. I have seen no mention to date as to whether the Base Configuration with the 2400 in it is having the same problems.

Any Information???

According to Apple's Tech Specs on the new aluminum iMacs, the 20" model (with the 2400) requires 200W, and the 24" model (with the 2600) requires 280W, max continuous power.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

You're correct in noting that it's primarily the iMac 24" models with the 2600 reporting the freezing issue, although some have reported problems with their 20" inch models. I should note, though, that while I have had some compatibility issues with my new 24" 2.8GHz model this week (Keyspan serial adapter no longer works, Canon liDE 30 scanner w/2003 driver locks up iMac, USB 1.1 hub locked up iMac), none have indicated any issues with the video card. I'm continuing to monitor the Console logs to see if the definitive ASIC Hardware Error message appears, but so far nothing. My iMac arrived from China on November 9th.
  • Reply 122 of 128
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i just snapped up one of the 20" 2.4ghz refurbs from the apple store. i hope the issue has been addressed in these. often, i find, refurbs are more reliable than the new ones.
  • Reply 123 of 128
    iMac Graphics Firmware Update. Found this linked over at the iMac support forum on Apple's website.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...eupdate10.html

I haven't tried it yet, because I'm waiting to hear back from Leopard users on the 10.5.1 update and if that does anything to reduce or eliminate the freezing issue.
  • Reply 124 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranum View Post

iMac Graphics Firmware Update. Found this linked over at the iMac support forum on Apple's website.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...eupdate10.html

I haven't tried it yet, because I'm waiting to hear back from Leopard users on the 10.5.1 update and if that does anything to reduce or eliminate the freezing issue.

These updates have been out for a while. If your new iMac is not displaying any video artifacts, or freezing up due to video issues (look in Console logs for ASIC Hardware Errors noted), it would probably be wise to NOT install either of these patches (for Tiger and Leopard). Some people have noted that they were having no freezing issues UNTIL they applied these patches.

If you run Software Update on your new iMac, one of these patches will appear. To avoid accidentally installing them, select Ignore Update from the Update menu. Thereafter, they will not appear when you run Software Update (until you tell Software Update to Restore them).

Firmware updates rewrite software into a hardware chip on the identified device. They are NOT simple software updates that can be simply removed if they don't work out.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
  • Reply 125 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

These updates have been out for a while. If your new iMac is not displaying any video artifacts, or freezing up due to video issues (look in Console logs for ASIC Hardware Errors noted), it would probably be wise to NOT install either of these patches (for Tiger and Leopard). Some people have noted that they were having no freezing issues UNTIL they applied these patches.

If you run Software Update on your new iMac, one of these patches will appear. To avoid accidentally installing them, select Ignore Update from the Update menu. Thereafter, they will not appear when you run Software Update (until you tell Software Update to Restore them).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

No, the Graphics Firmware Update was released today - notice the date. It is a firmware update for iMacs that are running those version of the iMac software that are listed in the description, but the update is for the graphics firmware.

Early indications at this thread (scroll to the bottom) over at Apple's iMac forum here are that the firmware is having a positive affect on the freezing issues.
  • Reply 126 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranum View Post

No, the Graphics Firmware Update was released today - notice the date. It is a firmware update for iMacs that are running those version of the iMac software that are listed in the description, but the update is for the graphics firmware.

Early indications at this thread (scroll to the bottom) over at Apple's iMac forum here are that the firmware is having a positive affect on the freezing issues.

Exciting news! I'll be following the threads today to see if anyone who performs the firmware update does NOT have success.
  • Reply 127 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

Exciting news! I'll be following the threads today to see if anyone who performs the firmware update does NOT have success.

I updated right away and works, great!

I have Time Machine now, I can go back and forth, put the computer on sleep

wake it up,go to TM

Everything works!

cool

Late, but Thanks Apple
  • Reply 128 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I've had my 20 inch 2,4 Al iMac since mid August and have never had it freeze on me. I don't do much graphic intensive stuff but my brother often plays Battle for Middle Earth 2 for hours non-stop and it hasn't frozen once.

Am I the only one or are there more people like me out there?

Can you tell me how you're running Battle for Middle Earth? Parallels? Boot Camp? I'm looking at switching over too, but my son is REALLY into this game. If I can't run it on the imac, it's a no-go.

How much RAM? What are the specs on your video card for the mac you're running it on?

Eager to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,

Tesgin