Apple posts iPhone 1.1.2 firmware ahead of Euro launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hours ahead of the official launch of the iPhone in Germany and the UK, Apple has posted the first international version of the handset's firmware on its website.

Although yet to appear in iTunes, the 1.1.2 firmware [160MB] has been posted to Apple's support website.

No release notes have been provided, though the upgrade adds multi-language support for the interface and is expected to patch security exploits that have allowed enthusiasts to run unsigned code on the phone's 1.1.1 operating system and subsequently unlock the device to be used with any carrier.

Reports have not yet surfaced of the update breaking previously jailbroken iPhones, though users who have modified their phones are advised to avoid installing the firmware until more information about the software is available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30

• Reply 2 of 30
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamjustin View Post

10KB a SECOND??? What are you on, dial up?

Funny though.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

10KB a SECOND??? What are you on, dial up?

Funny though.

haha no.

i figured it was because everyone else was downloading at the same time. but it soon got up to my regular speed.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Where on the apple support site? I cant seem to find it.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    I wonder if this iPhone update will enable two-way syncing of iPhone contacts with the .Mac Address Book ? since they just enabled this .Mac service today after weeks of struggling (or whatever they were doing).

Was able to test this two-way syncing just now with my desktop machine and it works. Yet another cool addition to .Mac capabilities.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Can someone please tell me if the iPhone can be set to spell in English (as opposed to US English). I.e. can the iPhone be set-up to spell colour rather than color, and realise insead of realize?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

Can someone please tell me if the iPhone can be set to spell in English (as opposed to US English). I.e. can the iPhone be set-up to spell colour rather than color, and realise insead of realize?

Are you using a UK iPhone?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Just downloaded and it is asking for as password to open, any ideas? Thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hours ahead of the official launch of the iPhone in Germany and the UK, Apple has posted the first international version of the handset's firmware on its website.

Although yet to appear in iTunes, the 1.1.2 firmware [160MB] has been posted to Apple's support website.

No release notes have been provided, though the upgrade adds multi-language support for the interface and is expected to patch security exploits that have allowed enthusiasts to run unsigned code on the phone's 1.1.1 operating system and subsequently unlock the device to be used with any carrier.

Reports have not yet surfaced of the update breaking previously jailbroken iPhones, though users who have modified their phones are advised to avoid installing the firmware until more information about the software is available.

• Reply 9 of 30
    When I checked for the update, it says 1.1.1 is the current version. What gives?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

When I checked for the update, it says 1.1.1 is the current version. What gives?

Same here...
  • Reply 12 of 30
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Anyone else having an issue with the alt/option install of the zip?

jeesh- it sucks.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    To install the downloaded update open iTunes, hold down alt/option and click check for updates. Just navigate to the downloaded zip and it will start updating.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

Are you using a UK iPhone?

I will be in an hour or so.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington View Post

To install the downloaded update open iTunes, hold down alt/option and click check for updates. Just navigate to the downloaded zip and it will start updating.

It worked, didn't come back up very smoothly but it did work.

When the iphone powered back up it just said iPhone on the computer, and the phone said connect to iTunes. I disconnected and reconnected and went though the activation process again and showed jpennington's iphone after a few minutes.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Jpennington- I did exactly that- I get errors however.

sigh..
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

I wonder if this iPhone update will enable two-way syncing of iPhone contacts with the .Mac Address Book ? since they just enabled this .Mac service today after weeks of struggling (or whatever they were doing).

Was able to test this two-way syncing just now with my desktop machine and it works. Yet another cool addition to .Mac capabilities.

??? THis does not work for me... or my partner
  • Reply 18 of 30
    For those of you who maybe somewhat confused on the "Alt/Option", you press and hold down the "Shift" key, not the "Alt" key; and then left click the 'Check For Update (for iphone [Not for iTunes]) button in itunes. Then navigate to the .ipsw file to start install. It will be easier to just download the .ipsw file to the desktop for quick location. Have your iPhone plugged in for the snyc before all of this happens, and don't forget to turn the phone off for 10 seconds and reboot for a good start, enjoy!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smn1957 View Post

For those of you who maybe somewhat confused on the "Alt/Option", you press and hold down the "Shift" key, not the "Alt" key; and then left click the 'Check For Update (for iphone [Not for iTunes]) button in itunes. Then navigate to the .ipsw file to start install. It will be easier to just download the .ipsw file to the desktop for quick location. Have your iPhone plugged in for the snyc before all of this happens, and don't forget to turn the phone off for 10 seconds and reboot for a good start, enjoy!

no...... it's the option key.... shift key does nothing.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Sorry SurfRat;I forgot to indicate that that was with using 'Windows' and a 'Windows keyboard'...then use the "Shift" key!