UK IPhone sales flop

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    all i am saying with with my comments above is that people should not be impressed too easily. apple can do a lot to make the iphone exceptional without going out on a limb. to all those that think the iphone is perfect, how will they feel when a better model is released in the next 6 months which addresses the issues i have listed above...?
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:

You also have to consider how many people are in long contracts, who don't like O2, who are saving money for Christmas, who actually don't need a new phone, who don't want to pay £35 a month and the number of possible sales gets pretty small.

£35 a month is alot to me. I don't mind the cost of the device. Or the length of contract. I DO mind £35 a month. And there's lots of people like me in the £10-15 pay as you go market.

I want to use it as a phone. But a 'communications' all singing device. I know it is. But it's an 'iPhone'.

I'd like a contract that cuts out the crap I won't use.

It is a stunning revolutionary device. But I'm not buying until Apple/O2 sorts out the price of that contract. £15 tops for me.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    If I want extra, I'd rather upgrade my contract or downgrade it depending on what I use. Not be £35 and wasting lots of stuff I just won't use. I don't text or phone that much. But I'd 'like' to have one instead of the Sony Erika thing I have...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Don't get me wrong, I am a recent mac switcher and couldn't go back to PCs anymore. I just love my apple computers and my ipod touch.

But I'll never get an iPhone (I'm in France, so it's out on the 29th). Apple is trying to sell us an american phone, that is 2 years late for european technology (don't get me wrong again, we - Europeans - are again about 2 years late compared with Japan).

Apple's homogeneous product offer (and marketing) works jsut great for computing/ipods, but on the phone market? Please, this is a mistake any junior marketeer/product manager wouldn't even make!

I'll stick to my HTC P3600 with 3G/HSPDA, GPS, memory card... sure the interface of the iPhone is much better (I know, I enjoy the similar Ipod touch equivalent every day), but I don't like steps back in time that cost 900euros...even if it's Apple!
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Me too. I'm totally impressed with it. The iPhone makes all the rest feel like something out of the Flintstones.

Geeks always try to compare things by counting up the number of features. The more features the better. But the iPhone is not quantitatively better. It is qualitatively better.

Petrol-heads don't do this. The better car is not the one with the most gadgets, but the one with the better driving experience.

C.

incorrect comparison. the better car is the one that provides the best all round experience. i say that as a petrol head. people do not spend thousands on their cars' ICE and other upgrades just because it gives a better drive - the want the fullest and best experience their car can provide. in the same way - an iphone that lacks functionality does not provide the best experience for its users, so is flawed...don't be so easily impressed
  • Reply 26 of 63
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zed888 View Post

incorrect comparison. the better car is the one that provides the best all round experience. i say that as a petrol head. people do not spend thousands on their cars' ICE and other upgrades just because it gives a better drive - the want the fullest and best experience their car can provide. in the same way - an iphone that lacks functionality does not provide the best experience for its users, so is flawed...don't be so easily impressed

Missing features on the checklist almost always involve trade-offs, at least in terms of things like size, battery life, and usability. One of the reasons the ipod has dominated its market is that it has struck the right balance in that trade-off, despite lacking some features on the checklist of some other company's marketing materials.

No one, or at least no one serious, would say the iphone is perfect, because no product can be perfect. It's always about trade-offs and striking the right balance. Whether the iPhone has struck the right balance for Europe will be seen later, and of course Apple will adjust, but at this point, my money is on Apple.

One other point: although I agree with the arguments made above that Apple's products are about the whole user experience rather than a feature checklist, the iPhone does extremely well using the checklist approach as well. Other phones have features that the iPhone doesn't have, but the iphone has plenty of features that other phones don't have. How many other phones have a screen that large and that much standard memory, for example?
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zed888 View Post

i..don't be so easily impressed

Dear zed

What exactly, in your opinion, am I allowed to be impressed with?

C.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

all i am saying with with my comments above is that people should not be impressed too easily. apple can do a lot to make the iphone exceptional without going out on a limb. to all those that think the iphone is perfect, how will they feel when a better model is released in the next 6 months which addresses the issues i have listed above...?

The problem with the long feature list is that you assume that more features is all gain with no loss. Packing in more features effects over all usability, the size of the device and the battery consumption. People have posted several studies that show phones with a lot of functionality are difficult for most people to use. The result of this is that many of the functions go unused.

Apple wanted the iPhone to have an easy to use interface, be of certain dimensions, and have a certain battery life. To achieve this goal required the exclusion of some features that add size and weight or severely decreased battery life.

Apple has officially said they chose the features they felt most people would use, without sacrificing usability from too many features. New features will be added through software updates. Jobs has stated why 3G is not in the current iPhone and that 3G will be added by late 2008. Jobs has also stated that Apple is working on the next version of the iPhone. So no it is not static device.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Missing features on the checklist almost always involve trade-offs, at least in terms of things like size, battery life, and usability. One of the reasons the ipod has dominated its market is that it has struck the right balance in that trade-off, despite lacking some features on the checklist of some other company's marketing materials.

No one, or at least no one serious, would say the iphone is perfect, because no product can be perfect. It's always about trade-offs and striking the right balance. Whether the iPhone has struck the right balance for Europe will be seen later, and of course Apple will adjust, but at this point, my money is on Apple.

One other point: although I agree with the arguments made above that Apple's products are about the whole user experience rather than a feature checklist, the iPhone does extremely well using the checklist approach as well. Other phones have features that the iPhone doesn't have, but the iphone has plenty of features that other phones don't have. How many other phones have a screen that large and that much standard memory, for example?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The problem with the long feature list is that you assume that more features is all gain with no loss. Packing in more features effects over all usability, the size of the device and the battery consumption. People have posted several studies that show phones with a lot of functionality are difficult for most people to use. The result of this is that many of the functions go unused.

Apple wanted the iPhone to have an easy to use interface, be of certain dimensions, and have a certain battery life. To achieve this goal required the exclusion of some features that add size and weight or severely decreased battery life.

Apple has officially said they chose the features they felt most people would use, without sacrificing usability from too many features. New features will be added through software updates. Jobs has stated why 3G is not in the current iPhone and that 3G will be added by late 2008. Jobs has also stated that Apple is working on the next version of the iPhone. So no it is not static device.

Two excellent posts that say it all.

Ease of use is a feature, arguably the single most significant feature a consumer electronics device can have. When the same old "but my phone has x and y" starts up, are we all supposed to pretend that we don't know how abysmal most phone UIs are, and that the ability to do x and y isn't really that great a deal if x and y are difficult to access and control?

People get sold "feature packed" phones the same way they get sold anything, because they want the shiny and they want the new hotness. Then they take it home and do the same two or three things they've always done with their phone because most of those features are just too difficult to bother with.

Apple was specifically looking to address that dynamic with the iPhone-- a relatively feature rich phone that most people could actually use in its entirety. For people that demand a specific feature that the iPhone currently lacks, the iPhone is the wrong device. For people who never imagined they could use a cell phone for much more than phone calls and texting, the iPhone is exactly right.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Looks like it is going well to me....

I just picked up my iPhone this weekend at the flagship Apple store on Oxford street. It was packed out at 4pm on Sat evening in typical terrible London weather, dark, cold and rainy. People were waiting 3 deep to play with the 20 or so iPhone on the big play tables in the front part of the lower floor.

At the back of the store there were two lines of about 10-15 people each at the checkouts waiting to purchase Apple products and I saw a number of iPhones sold before and immediately after mine. Asking the CS guy how many they were selling he laughed and said "heaps".

Before buying it at Apple I had ducked into O2 and Carphone Warehouse (who also are selling them direct). Same situation, lots of people playing, though I couldn't tell if people were buying. Interestingly, the Orange, 3 & Vodofone stores I walked past were also quite busy, but only about 1/2 as many people as the iPhone carriers. It certainly looked successful to me.

I've only noticed a couple in the wild in the weeks since it went on sale, but that itself is saying something. There are quite a few iTouches turning up on the tube though. Something I noticed about the UK launch. I was living in the states during the launch there and talked about it with lots of people, techies and non alike. I'd say that about 50% of people knew what an iPhone was and were kind of aware it was being launched soon. Then I moved to London and had to wait another 5 months to get one. The awareness with the general public I meet here is about 25%. There are a lot more people with fancy net-connected 3G phones here than in the states, and a lot more earbuds snake down into a pocket and into a cell phone than an iPod. Point is, 8k or 10k I think is pretty good for this market. Apple just need to get their shizzle together with the media content in the UK iTunes to help it along!

Anyway, yes, there are several things I wish it did and a couple of things it does that aren't too useful to me personally. But it really doesn't matter, at the end of the day I felt it was worth the 269GPB + 35/month for 18 months. I don't make many calls, but I have been waiting for the real mobile web for years and now I feel like I actually have it. I know they will bring out another model with more memory (my #1), perhaps 3G (though this REALLY is not a big deal folks), likely smaller (doesn't need to be), better camera etc. Hopefully I will have used the crap out of mine by then and be happy to pass is on to my wife...
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

How many other phones have a screen that large and that much standard memory, for example?

Almost all new smartphones coming out now have 8GB of RAM or card slots. eg. any of Nokia's N series of late. And it's only of importance if you're using it as an iPod really. If you just want a phone then it's pointless.

Some might also consider the iPhone's large screen a minus. It's a bulky old thing. Roll on the iPhone Nano.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Ease of use is a feature, arguably the single most significant feature a consumer electronics device can have.

Yep. "arguably" is definitely the right word but I'm not so sure about the rest of them.

There's some things on the iPhone that are impossibly hard or just downright terrible as usability goes. eg. ringtones, texting multiple people or sending pictures to people who do not have email. Things which are really easy on some other phones. Not all phones, I'll grant you, but some are actually quite easy. Pretending the iPhone way is the one true way strikes me as patronising. People aren't so dumb.

The iPhone's current stage reminds me of the days of Mac OS v6 when you got modal dialog boxes up and couldn't do anything but what the Mac asked you. When you came from Amigas and even Windows, the Mac's simplicity back then was frustrating.

Hopefully that will pass come February.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Almost all new smartphones coming out now have 8GB of RAM or card slots. eg. any of Nokia's N series of late. And it's only of importance if you're using it as an iPod really. If you just want a phone then it's pointless.

Some might also consider the iPhone's large screen a minus. It's a bulky old thing. Roll on the iPhone Nano.

Indeed. The w960 for example. Take even the N95 8GB. Apart from the 8GB it has a 2.8 inch screen, WIFI, 5MP cam with AF, VGA video capture and even GPS.

N82 will be out soon and over the next 6 months Nokia will announce 30 new phones - yes 30!! So the preassure will be on Apple to keep interest in iphone. I hope that translates to price drops in either the phone or ability to knock of the data plans on the tarriff like they done in the US recently.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Almost all new smartphones coming out now have 8GB of RAM or card slots. eg. any of Nokia's N series of late.

What you mean is that you can get a few models with 8 GB built-in, but close to 100% come with something like 100 MB standard. And none have screens with that resolution.

Why are all these other handset manufacturers so out of touch with the feature list that people want.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

There's some things on the iPhone that are impossibly hard or just downright terrible as usability goes. eg. ringtones, texting multiple people or sending pictures to people who do not have email. Things which are really easy on some other phones.

Huh?

Ringtones (assigning them to contacts etc.) *is* very very easy. It was easier to make my own ringtone for the iPhone than it was for a Sony Ericsson.

(Trim MP3 audio -> save it as mp4 ->rename suffix -> Add to itunes)

And as for sending pictures, you are trying make out that a missing feature is an ease-of-use issue.

Apple have focussed their efforts on delivering a limited feature set which match the most common activities people do on a phone. It's a strategy which pleases most people, but will irritate those who, apparently, think MMS is good.

You might be aware that he iPod does not have an FM radio. You can even buy a Porsche without air-con.

If you don't like it - buy a feature-rich Zune, or a Skoda. The market is very good at sorting this stuff out.

C.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Huh?

Ringtones (assigning them to contacts etc.) *is* very very easy. It was easier to make my own ringtone for the iPhone than it was for a Sony Ericsson.

(Trim MP3 audio -> save it as mp4 ->rename suffix -> Add to itunes)

And as for sending pictures, you are trying make out that a missing feature is an ease-of-use issue.

Apple have focussed their efforts on delivering a limited feature set which match the most common activities people do on a phone. It's a strategy which pleases most people, but will irritate those who, apparently, think MMS is good.

You might be aware that he iPod does not have an FM radio. You can even buy a Porsche without air-con.

If you don't like it - buy a feature-rich Zune, or a Skoda. The market is very good at sorting this stuff out.

C.

So people dont want 3G? They dont want to access their flash drives in a mass storage fiolder mode which would save so much time compared to syncing with itunes?

What Apple released was a good device which could have been great. Its a device with potential but because of these shortcomings and its price it will not penetrate the market the way apple want it to.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So people dont want 3G? They dont want to access their flash drives in a mass storage fiolder mode which would save so much time compared to syncing with itunes?

What Apple released was a good device which could have been great. Its a device with potential but because of these shortcomings and its price it will not penetrate the market the way apple want it to.

Don't ask questions without considering the tradeoff.

1) Do people want 3G more than battery life - a lot don't so ' people don't want 3G' is true for a significant number. (And yes I've looked at the battery life quote of 3G phones. The ones I looked at were carefully couched such that 3G use was quoted separately from day-to-day use).

2) Flash drive access - most cell phone users could care less, their much happier being able to use the feature that are there rather than worry about such a missing feature. They're very happy syncing through itunes - a no brainer.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Don't ask questions without considering the tradeoff.

1) Do people want 3G more than battery life - a lot don't so ' people don't want 3G' is true for a significant number. (And yes I've looked at the battery life quote of 3G phones. The ones I looked at were carefully couched such that 3G use was quoted separately from day-to-day use).

I hate this argument. My iPhone, if I don't use the data connection, has the same battery life as my Nokia 6680, if I don't use the data connection there. If I don't use the 3G, it doesn't lower the battery life.

The Nokia has a setting for whether to use 3G or GPRS. If you want to use data you can choose whether to get the slower performance or the lower battery life.

Also, when I do use 3G on the Nokia, it gets around 3 hours battery life, when continually downloading. This is on a battery that's 3 years old and a bit shit. I'd be happy with that performance. My iPhone doesn't get much more than that when continually downloading.

Amorya
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

I hate this argument. My iPhone, if I don't use the data connection, has the same battery life as my Nokia 6680, if I don't use the data connection there. If I don't use the 3G, it doesn't lower the battery life.

The Nokia has a setting for whether to use 3G or GPRS. If you want to use data you can choose whether to get the slower performance or the lower battery life.

Also, when I do use 3G on the Nokia, it gets around 3 hours battery life, when continually downloading. This is on a battery that's 3 years old and a bit shit. I'd be happy with that performance. My iPhone doesn't get much more than that when continually downloading.

Amorya

Which one do you use more, the iPhone or Nokia?
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

No, the UK has a population of over 70 million (give or take a few hundred thousand immigrant workers the Home Office have lost count of). We also have more than 100% penetration of phones. ie. more phones than people.

USA (since the iPhone isn't out elsewhere in America (North, Central or South)) has a population of 303 million (according to U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division)

I'm not going to do the maths from here as I'll just get jumped on by the Jesus Phone believers.

You mean you're too idle. UK population nowhere 70 M, give or take nothing. Took 20 seconds to check. Its 60,776,238 (July 2007 est.) If you don't know a simple fact about the size of your own country you shouldn't be living it it