Google Android dev kit exposes Apple-inspired roots

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The release to developers of Google's Linux-based Android operating system for mobile phones reveals that the prototype software shares at least a few aspects in common with interfaces from the company's Bay Area neighbor, Apple.

Fulfilling a promise it made last week, Google's new early look version of its software development kit provides developers with the open-source tools they need to write new programs ahead of when the first phones ship in the latter half of 2008.

This initial version already taps into most of the features handset makers and third-party developers will need, Google says. Besides access to Google's own search tools, Android provides hooks for 3G data access, hardware 3D acceleration, and music and video playback. Control can stem from either a traditional button layout or a touchscreen.

The code reaches deeply enough that programmers can rewrite the dialer if they choose, the Mountain View, California-based company adds.

However, the kit also includes code that, for some, may confirm Google's increasingly strong ties to Apple, manifested most often for observers by the presence of Google chief Eric Schmidt on Apple's Board of Directors. The most conspicuous link is the choice of the WebKit rendering platform for its web browser -- the same engine that acts as the foundation for Apple's Safari browser on computers and the iPhone. The choice comes despite Google's partial involvement in the development of Mozilla's Firefox browser.

Android's default operating system, found both in a bundled phone emulator and in a demonstration video (shown below), also bears a striking similarity in places to various components of Apple's operating systems. In touchscreen mode, Google's browser also renders pages at full desktop size and relies on taps and finger dragging to scroll through the page.

Other, smaller aspects also appear to draw from lessons learned from the iPhone or the Mac. A main menu for button-focused phones asks users to pick from an icon tray that behaves like the Mac OS X dock; users also flip through their recent web browser history with a Cover Flow-style interface and receive pop-up notices in a translucent window not unlike that seen on the iPhone or iPod touch.

Whether or not these interface similarities will reach shipping products is unknown. In contrast to most closed-source operating systems, none of the handset makers signed up to develop Android-based phones are obligated to leave either the cosmetic appearance of the user interface or the features themselves unaltered.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Uh.... what happened to "over 200 patents that we'll vigorously protect"?
  • Reply 2 of 61
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ^^^

No shit.

Amazing rip off of Apple. The contacts icon is almost identical to the address book icon. The look and feel is very reminiscent of Apple.

Oh and it'll come on cheap subsidized phones on 3g and WiMax networks. This is going to be serious competition for the iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Yeah, weird.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    The app launcher UI resembles KDE 4 mockups now on Beta 4.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    It's an amazingly obvious rip-off. I felt like I was watching an iPhone ad. There has to be more behind this because the Android dock, browser, visual web history and dialer are all clearly derived from either the desktop or mobile versions of OS X. The web history and dialer in particular seem to be complete photocopy jobs. There's no way Google could expect to get away with this without some sort of deal with Apple, so my guess is we'll find out there's something going on behind the scenes when the iPhone SDK is released.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by potterhead4 View Post

It's an amazingly obvious rip-off. I felt like I was watching an iPhone ad. There has to be more behind this because the Android dock, browser, visual web history and dialer are all clearly derived from either the desktop or mobile versions of OS X. The web history and dialer in particular seem to be complete photocopy jobs. There's no way Google could expect to get away with this without some sort of deal with Apple, so my guess is we'll find out there's something going on behind the scenes when the iPhone SDK is released.

Well, it's not the GUI which Google is designing, it's the SDK. I guess that this one isn't included in the SDK package, it's just a visual demo to show that it works.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Google can demo this interface all they want without attracting legal trouble. Trouble might only arise if they proceed to sell it. But Google isn't going to sell handsets or the software. Any risk will be undertaken by handset manufacturers. That said, the UI is so similar in appearance to the iPhone, and with Schmidt sitting on Apple's board, I've got to believe Apple has an agreement of some sort with Google and Apple may have played a hand in developing the SDK and demo device. Notice the demo did not show Multi-touch, nor a touch version of cover flow, nor an on-screen keyboard, as those UI features may have been going too obviously far for a FOSS SDK that is unencumbered by Apple intellectual property ownership issues. If Apple is involved, it sure would be nice to know how it stands to benefit from Android.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

...The contacts icon is almost identical to the address book icon. The look and feel is very reminiscent of Apple....

I was thinking the same thing as I watched the demo video. Actually, I beleive the contact icon was the same one used in 10.0 (I'll have to double check that though). The little folder icon with the sproket and a few others I know I've seen elsewhere though...

To me, I don't think Apple has much to worry about - the demo looked pretty cool, but it will be interesting to see what some of these other companies decide to "create". I think Google is really capitalizing on these other Apple wanabe's who want to come out with the iPhone killer, but can't because they suck at software...

Just like Apple did with the iPod mini - when the competition gets close to a pretty good clone device, all they will do is unveil the next iPhone and completely invalidate the copy-catters.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    You guys are talking as if Apple and Google are competing against each other, when they are obviously not......

Thinking one-dimensionally:

Google releases a platform which will lead to great phones. Great phones = bad for apple.

Thinking smartly:

Google releases a platform which makes things easier for everyone to develop applications for cellphones, which raises expectations for what people want in cellphones. You want stylish, integrated at a very high level, go with the iPhone.

That's complementary. Not competitive.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by potterhead4 View Post

What the hell are you talking about?

"OH MY GOSH, GOOGLE MAPS SCROLLING ON ANDROID?!?!? THAT IS A RIP OFF OF TEH IPHONE!!!"

• Reply 11 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

You guys are talking as if Apple and Google are competing against each other, when they are obviously not......

Thinking one-dimensionally:

Google releases a platform which will lead to great phones. Great phones = bad for apple.

Thinking smartly:

Google releases a platform which makes things easier for everyone to develop applications for cellphones, which raises expectations for what people want in cellphones. You want stylish, integrated at a very high level, go with the iPhone.

That's complementary. Not competitive.

Well let's hope so.

But I'm old enough to remember a former software developer that developed an os that mimicked Apple that ended up on cheap hardware sold by other vendors.

We all know how that turned out.

The real danger for the iPhone is that Android doesn't have to be better than the iPhone user interface. If it offers 80% of iPhone functionality that could be enough because it will likely come on really cheap or free phones. And likely will integrate new technology like 3g or Wimax faster than Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

If Apple is involved, it sure would be nice to know how it stands to benefit from Android.

I believe Apple wants to wrestle the internet away from IE, so the use of Webkit in that SDK is a big plus. Remember, there are over 3 billion cell phones in the world right now and Android is aimed straight at the middle of the pack, so that would make a lot of web capable phones out there, all of them requiring standards-compliant web pages...
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Well let's hope so.

But I'm old enough to remember a former software developer that developed an os that mimicked Apple that ended up on cheap hardware sold by other vendors.

We all know how that turned out.

The real danger for the iPhone is that Android doesn't have to be better than the iPhone user interface. If it offers 80% of iPhone functionality that could be enough because it will likely come on really cheap or free phones. And likely will integrate new technology like 3g or Wimax faster than Apple.

As long as Apple opens up its SDK, things should be ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyxWnIalDcY

Did anyone hear how it lets you take whatever information it has available to find your global position? GPS, Cell Towers, or WiFi hotspots. Exciting stuff. I'd love to see Apple incorporate that into the next iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:

As long as Apple opens up its SDK, things should be ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyxWnIalDcY

Did anyone hear how it lets you take whatever information it has available to find your global position? GPS, Cell Towers, or WiFi hotspots. Exciting stuff. I'd love to see Apple incorporate that into the next iPhone.

I did hear that. But what I really noticed was how the functionality of the phone wasn't buried in a lot of menus. Functions are easy to find...like on the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Google pulled a Vista.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    There's no doubt that the iPhone has changed the direction of the mobile phone world. Google Android obviously borrows heavily from the iPhone UI.

But I think it's safe to say Steve Jobs and Apple have some great tricks up their sleeves. Apple will continue to lead while everyone else continues to play catch-up.

The next couple of years are going to be interesting. Very interesting.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Lol poor Sergey ..."someone get me a Fu@#$in t-shirt...im not being the PC guy!!"
  • Reply 18 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's no doubt going to be similarities, but from a consumer point of view I don't see how the existence of 'Android' is going to make you want an iPhone any less. The whole reason the iPhone works, is because Apple are not only the best and software, but also because they are the best when it comes to cool, elegant hardware too, and the fact that it's also an iPod that works with iTunes, and it all integrates seamlessly. Android is a good attempt, but it doesn't even redraw the webpages anything like OS X on the iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:

What the hell are you talking about?

"OH MY GOSH, GOOGLE MAPS SCROLLING ON ANDROID?!?!? THAT IS A RIP OFF OF TEH IPHONE!!!"

Actually, I said the dock, dialer and web browser (specifically the visual history) had elements that seemed to rip off parts of both the mobile and desktop versions of OS X. I specifically didn't mention the maps application because it's obvious iPhone and Android look similar: they both use Google maps.

Please accurately represent my comments when attempting to satirize them. It gives you a lot more credibility.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    I don't really see any resemblance to the iPhone, or OS X...maybe the browser history but that's about it.

Second off, why would you want Apple to be the only one doing this?? Android will hopefully bring great cell phone features for a cheaper price. How the hell can you be against that? These are companies and when it comes down to it. I not only want choice, I want the most for my money. Competition is great, and as much as I love Apple it would be sad if they were the only game in town.