GeForce 8800M GTX on the way?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sure wouldn't mind an iMac, Mac Mini or MacBook Pro with one of these.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11...orce_8800_gtx/

Things are really looking up in the GPU market, if only Apple realized that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Unfortunatly, it seems that apple just won't listen to our pleas for better GPUs. Sure would like a more powerful GPU on my Mac Pro. (yes, yes, i have X1900, but Animation programs eat up an alarming amount of GRAM.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    It was kinda leaked that Alienware has a 15" w/ 8800M GTX and a 17" w/ dual 8800M GTX.

Link

Come'on Apple!!!
  • Reply 3 of 28
    You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...
  • Reply 4 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple is gaining ground in sales because of the popularity of some of their other products, but loosing a ton potential users because they are using integrated GPU's in some of their other products. It's a pathetic time for many old school Mac users to watch a company they have stuck by for years shoot itself in the foot.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Unfortunatly, it seems that apple just won't listen to our pleas for better GPUs. Sure would like a more powerful GPU on my Mac Pro. (yes, yes, i have X1900, but Animation programs eat up an alarming amount of GRAM.

They listen to the ones who want paper thin notebooks instead. The two requirements are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

Apple as it is now is a boutique designer brand for better or worse. They give up power and some features for style and simplicity of use. This is one of the main reasons I've voiced my opinion for either a second brand or a partner.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Okay, refresh me back in my Mac history, before Apple made the switch to Intel, what GPU is the iBook using?

I agree with some replies that said for a company that specialized in video-graphics market, the graphic card offering on some of their product line is disaapointing. I know that I can get a better equiped laptop/pc at the same price as Apple current offering. If only Apple would put good graphics card for their non-pro users, then I definately will own a Mac. So far the only thing that pushing me to buy a Mac is cause of the OS.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

They listen to the ones who want paper thin notebooks instead.

And how many are those? I know at least one, his initials are S. J.; this guy likes paper- or book-thin desktops too.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Okay, refresh me back in my Mac history, before Apple made the switch to Intel, what GPU is the iBook using?

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 is the last iBook GPU.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

And how many are those? I know at least one, his initials are S. J.; this guy likes paper- or book-thin desktops too.

Yeah, and unfortunately his opinion is the only that seems to count.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    iBooks in many ways had better GPUs than even last generation MacBooks...
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

iBooks in many ways had better GPUs than even last generation MacBooks...

I know mine could at least run the latest games at the time. That's more than can be said of the GMA Macbook.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    When either nVidia or ATi join the UEFI, then we'll see some progress.

http://www.uefi.org/about/

AMD is a standing member so I would expect ATi will get focused on making their cards UEFI aware.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 is the last iBook GPU.

And it runs rings around the GMA950 for just about anything. It even does HD video.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    The iBook started off with a ATI Rage Mobility 128, worked its way up to a Radeon Mobility, then Radeon 7500 Mobility, then 9200 Mobility and finally 9550 Mobility. These chips never were top of the line, but they were always decent enough to cope with the current software. The GMA 950 was outdated already when it was originally released on the first MacBooks.

The last batch of iBooks offered incredible bang for the buck.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    It's going to be embarrassing more so soon. Alienware with a GTX in a laptop and the Mac Pro doesn't have the option?

Seriously.

:O

It isn't funny.

I should be laughing. But it isn't funny.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

It's going to be embarrassing more so soon. Alienware with a GTX in a laptop and the Mac Pro doesn't have the option?

Seriously.

It isn't funny.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Alienware makes laptops with Dual 512MB Nvidia® GeForce™ Go 8700M GT's that are SLI Enabled. Don't even use them as a mark. It's too embarrassing.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Seriously.

It isn't funny.

Lemon Bon Bon.

I had not noticed that the Mac Pro still offers only a GF 7300 and a Radeon X1900 XT. Well, apart the Quadro that it is not for everyone. Just amazing, as S. J. would say, but for other things.

I guess Apple has a hard time to get the graphics card makers to produce something for the Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

I had not noticed that the Mac Pro still offers only a GF 7300 and a Radeon X1900 XT. Well, apart the Quadro that it is not for everyone. Just amazing, as S. J. would say, but for other things.

I guess Apple has a hard time to get the graphics card makers to produce something for the Mac.

Alienware makes laptops with Dual 512MB Nvidia® GeForce? Go 8700M GT's that are SLI Enabled. Don't even use them as a mark. It's too embarrassing.

Eh? I'm crying in my urine as I speak.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 19 of 28
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=226

Excerpt:

Quote:

Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ)'s gaming unit is holding off on launching systems based on Intel (NSDQ:INTC)'s new Penryn processor, saying that while the 45 nm chip is reliable on Intel chipsets more work needed to be done for the CPU to work with Nvidia's SLI.

Rahul Sood, chief technology officer for HP's gaming unit, said on his web log Wednesday that his company received information last week - - which he declined to specify - - that kept it from launching gaming products with Penryn. Sood later clarified his remarks to say Intel's CPU itself was not unreliable, but that as a platform additional work needed to be done with third party chipsets.

"We haven't launched Intel's 45 nm processor as planned," Sood wrote. "We, like many, were hoping that it would work flawlessly on certain chipsets -- and well, unfortunately it doesn't -- not yet anyways." He said that "the bottom line is we're working on a solution for Nvidia SLI, but at the moment there isn't one."

• Reply 20 of 28
    Well, since Apple is using Intel chipsets on their own mainboard designs, I have little fear.

Also I don't think Apple is going to offer any SLI capable mainboards anyway.