Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update for Tiger users

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday finally released Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update, which is recommended for all users running versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. The update includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac, the company says.

The update is available as a 128MB download for Intel Macs and a 67.9MB download for PowerPC Macs which are running Mac OS X 10.4.10.

Apple has also made Mac OS X 10.4.11 available in "Combo" updater form for users running earlier versions of the Tiger operating system. These distributions are available as a 321.5MB download for Intel Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.4 or later and a 180.8MB download for Power PC Macs running Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

Apple warns that users of the update may experience unexpected results if they have third-party system software modifications installed, or if they've modified the operating system through other means.

Mac OS X 10.4.11 bundles 39 security fixes and the following modifications:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    I don't give a rotten Apple about 10.4.11...I want 10.5.1!!!
  • Reply 2 of 55
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Does any one know if Tiger also gets the "Move Bug" fix?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's a good move. It shows Apple cares somewhat.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Improved iSync compatibility anyone?

/Adrian
  • Reply 5 of 55
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Just installed it, it seems a little snappier, maybe thats just me...

• Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I don't give a rotten Apple about 10.4.11...I want 10.5.1!!!

I think you will do when you see that it includes the final version of Safari 3. They would well have forced us to upgrade to Leopard to get that, I'm quite pleased with Apple for doing Safari 3 for Tiger.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Just installed it, it seems a little snappier, maybe thats just me...

You are snappy?
  • Reply 8 of 55
    And I just redid our company's Intel Tiger NetBoot Image today. Crap

There were a lot of people on the forums having trouble creating compatible Tiger Intel Netboot Images for the Santa Rosa Chipsets (new MBPs, Aluminum iMacs, and the very latest MacBooks) because the 10.4.10 image didn't contain the necessary Santa Rosa boot info (obv, since the chipsets were integrated in Macs after the 10.4.10 revision came out).

Surrounded by the blank blue screens of machines that failed to netboot I felt like I was an MCSE surrounded by Dells and banginging my head on my Ghost config =P

Well now that problem is solved. One day late. Pooh. Looks like it's the old Restore --> Update --> Image --> Netboot dance again tomorrow . Joy.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Whither the server update?
  • Reply 10 of 55
    nice to get safari 3

however it seems to break pith helmet

i considered using pacifist to install the latest version for safari 3

the installer for pith helmet won't do it because it says the version of safari that ships with 10.4.11 is not compatible with the version of pith helmet that's designed for safari 3 BETA and 10.4.

anyone solved this yet?
  • Reply 11 of 55
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You are snappy?

OoO, I'm more than snappy Ireland

• Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsesvak View Post

There were a lot of people on the forums having trouble creating compatible Tiger Intel Netboot Images for the Santa Rosa Chipsets (new MBPs, Aluminum iMacs, and the very latest MacBooks) because the 10.4.10 image didn't contain the necessary Santa Rosa boot info (obv, since the chipsets were integrated in Macs after the 10.4.10 revision came out).

Well now that problem is solved. One day late. Pooh. Looks like it's the old Restore --> Update --> Image --> Netboot dance again tomorrow . Joy.

From what I can tell, 10.4.11 does NOT include the drivers to any of the Santa Rosa hardware...
  • Reply 13 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Does any one know if Tiger also gets the "Move Bug" fix?

It has not been established that Tiger ever had the bug to begin with. Yet another case of people jumping to conclusions. MacFixit staff were not able to duplicate the bug in Tiger. I have not been able to reproduce it on my own system either. Some insist that it exists. I have not personally seen it mentioned in any Tiger forums recently.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    What a crappy app. I keep trying to install it on my leopard machine and it keeps giving me an error.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

OoO, I'm more than snappy Ireland

happy. joy joy.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by telverston View Post

nice to get safari 3

however it seems to break pith helmet

i considered using pacifist to install the latest version for safari 3

the installer for pith helmet won't do it because it says the version of safari that ships with 10.4.11 is not compatible with the version of pith helmet that's designed for safari 3 BETA and 10.4.

anyone solved this yet?

Unless Pith Helmet adapts the new WebKit plugin spec I doubt you'll get it to ever work.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

What a crappy app. I keep trying to install it on my leopard machine and it keeps giving me an error.

You....are kidding....right?

Right?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Just installed it, and it feels like Safari is snappier and when resizing the finder and Safari windows appears quicker, or I should say the window stays with the cursor when resizing better... or I could be seeing things..
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Unless Pith Helmet adapts the new WebKit plugin spec I doubt you'll get it to ever work.

it seems you are right

i tried using pacifist to install - which ran - but didn't load when safari launched

says it was not loaded as a precaution - better than crashing and not telling you why

it's a shame that i'm going to have to look at flash ads for two more days till i get leopard

amazing how used to pithhelmet i've become

sigh
  • Reply 20 of 55
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It has not been established that Tiger ever had the bug to begin with. Yet another case of people jumping to conclusions. MacFixit staff were not able to duplicate the bug in Tiger. I have not been able to reproduce it on my own system either. Some insist that it exists. I have not personally seen it mentioned in any Tiger forums recently.

Sorry, I'm just going from what was reported in a previous AI report.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ss_issues.html

Personally I can't imagine this bug ever occurring in something as far back as Windows 3.1 let alone OS X but it appears some people have experienced it.

--Dave